Finding relation to God in non-christian music?

Bcs90

Jul 8, 2019
Willmar
✟16,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems no matter what I listen to, even if it's not techically Christian I imagine it is God speaking to me through the music.

Like Bob Segar - Turn the page, I imagine turning the page as meaning turn the page of the bible or leaving my old self behind and starting a new chapter with Jesus.

Sam and Dave - Hold on im coming. I like to imagine it's like Jesus saying to reach out for him for satisfaction and to be patient.

those are just two examples out of thousands though. can anyone relate to this? I also dont want this to be blasphemy, I know these singers are not God and don't worship them but I like to think it's God trying to speak/comfort me through music.. or maybe it's not God doing it and I'm just drawing those correlations in my mind?

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even if you are drawing the correlations in your mind, why would that mean they aren't real? Scripture instructs us to pray without ceasing, a good way to start is if everything you encounter turns your mind to God! Maybe Bob Seger wasn't thinking about God when he wrote a song, but it's good if you start thinking of God when you hear it. And maybe the person who sewed the blanket you use wasn't thinking about God when he sewed it, but if everytime you cover up with it you thank God for giving us blankets to keep warm with, it is good. Maybe the person who prepared the food you eat wasn't thinking of God when they prepared it, but it's good to think of God and thank Him when you eat it.

Everything can be an opportunity to think of God, if your heart is in a state of loving Him.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It seems no matter what I listen to, even if it's not techically Christian I imagine it is God speaking to me through the music.

Like Bob Segar - Turn the page, I imagine turning the page as meaning turn the page of the bible or leaving my old self behind and starting a new chapter with Jesus.

Sam and Dave - Hold on im coming. I like to imagine it's like Jesus saying to reach out for him for satisfaction and to be patient.

those are just two examples out of thousands though. can anyone relate to this? I also dont want this to be blasphemy, I know these singers are not God and don't worship them but I like to think it's God trying to speak/comfort me through music.. or maybe it's not God doing it and I'm just drawing those correlations in my mind?

I know exactly what you mean. I can totally relate!

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is the big song from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, Carousel. The play is secular, though it's easy to find a spiritual message in this song. Not to mention that Josh's version is a very theatrical, full-blown orchestral arrangement

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I do this often. Sometimes I'll listen to the words and ask myself if it would make sense if it was about God or if someone told me it was a Christian song if I'd believe it. A lot of it depends on how you interpret the lyrics but some secular songs could almost be worship/Christian music.

"Can I tell you something just between me? When I hear your voice I know I'm finally free."

"I can speak to you by saying nothing at all."

"I think I see your face in every place that I go."

Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely. Artists are participants in the Divine in a major way. Artists have their sights set on the transcendentals. A great musician is concerned with the production of truth, beauty and goodness. Great music makes the mind receptive to the fact that the cosmos is charged with the Divine.

Upvote 0

Christopher Pineau

Just A Nerdy Guy Trying To Get Right
Apr 17, 2022
Dallas
✟14,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I'm inclined to agree. If you can find connection to Him through secular songs that are sometimes open to interpretation, I don't see why not. As a music based life form who enjoys secular and sacred music equally (not so much modern secular American stuff anyway--I prefer Japanese bands and artists, and even a bit of K-pop), I can find it most anywhere.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, for example? I get a lot from Motorhead, of all bands. Lemmy was not what I'd call anti-God, but he was certainly against organized religion, and I've always had Issue with organized religion as well in my life. In many of his songs he makes statements like "If Jesus showed up now, he'd be in jail by next week," and "They claim to heal, but all they do is steal/Abuse your faith, cheat and rob." IMO, he was put here to help point us away from false prophets and the like, as well as away from those who use His name to commit sketchy actions. Discernment is a key thing, and I find nothing wrong with someone like him, immoral and roughshod as he was outwardly, pointing out such things in no uncertain terms. It was as though he was saying "This is why I'm not religious." Works for me anyway.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely can happen. This song, "Another Life, by metal band Motionless in White, is not a religious song. They are not a band of Christians. However, the song can easily be heard as the experience of a prodigal who goes through anger and doubt at God and then in the end realizes he wants to be with God in another life and no longer hates his need for God. Check out the lyrics with that in mind.

A prior church of ours used to often play secular songs with themes that could help the congregation transition from church into the world - symbolic of we don't have two separate existences (church and the rest of our life) but rather they are intertwined for us believers. This song made that list of songs we'd play.

Upvote 0

Christopher Pineau

Just A Nerdy Guy Trying To Get Right
Apr 17, 2022
Dallas
✟14,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Absolutely can happen. This song, "Another Life, by metal band Motionless in White, is not a religious song. They are not a band of Christians. However, the song can easily be heard as the experience of a prodigal who goes through anger and doubt at God and then in the end realizes he wants to be with God in another life and no longer hates his need for God. Check out the lyrics with that in mind.

A prior church of ours used to often play secular songs with themes that could help the congregation transition from church into the world - symbolic of we don't have two separate existences (church and the rest of our life) but rather they are intertwined for us believers. This song made that list of songs we'd play.

Not my flavor of metal, but I liked the lyrics and saw what you mean by the lyrical content. I very much was a prodigal who spent decades running from Him and ignoring what He had to say, so I can relate to what you said about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I can’t judge. I like a little jazz, I like jimi Hendrix to see if his bipolar advanced in his life. He always seemed ok. I guess he took greater comfort in drugs until he OD.

I often cannot hear the words to get special message from artists, but I don’t seek them out. I love worship music even on klove.
Once in awhile I depart from it to satisfy my curiosity. It seems there is not much new since the 60s. Worship is going strong.
It’s gets the heart and soul involved. It’s positive and encouraging.

Jimi Hendrix did some blues and people are making music out of their lostness. Only one knows where they are going. But admittedly some are worth spending a little time with.

Upvote 0

Trying to do better

Sep 10, 2022
Winfield
✟8,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In listening to most current music, I try to make a word change here and there to make it a personal form of worship. Sometimes I imagine God talking to me, or vice versa, or a dialogue with an angel, apostle, etc. (Here is an example that has enough changes to turn the original song into a very personal plea from Jesus for someone near the end of their days.) So, when you do hear a song, maybe just make some changes to yourself, and you'll get so much more out of it:

Now dim your light
Lay down in bed
Turn off those voices inside your head
Pray now with Me
Tell me no lies
Just speak your truth
Don't patronize

Don't patronize Me

'Cause I can't make you love Me if you don't
I can't make your heart feel something it won't

Here in the dark in these final hours
I have offered My heart, so you’ll have the power
But you won't, no you won't

You’ll close your eyes
Then you won't see
The love you can feel from just asking Me
Mourning will come
And I'll do what's right
Just give Me 'til then to offer My light
And I will give you My light!

I can't make your heart feel something it won't

Here in the dark in these final hours
I have offered My heart, so you’ll have the power
But you won't, no you won't

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is a track on Bob Dylan's Slow Train Coming album, from the late 70s. He was in his Christian phase back then. I'm not at all religious, but a good song is a good song. And Mark Knopfler's guitar work is great.

Precious angel, under the sun
How was I to know you'd be the one
To show me I was blinded, to show me I was gone
How weak was the foundation I was standing upon?
Now there's spiritual warfare, flesh and blood breaking down
You either got faith or you got unbelief and there ain't no neutral ground
The enemy is subtle, how be it we are deceived
When the truth is in our hearts, and we still don't believe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums