Finding or choosing a local church (long read)

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After a few years I think it's been, I've personally began my walk with God. But it has been me reading the Bible and coming online here for what worship and fellowship that's possible. I'll admit I have a long way to go and probably won't ever know for certain if my beliefs are accurate. But finally at thirty years after a long delay in life, I have my first car and can eventually go to church regularly. I've realized it's much different offline and in person when considering church, as it's more than what you believe and practice mostly alone according to your will or convenience. Actually feel the need to consider what I believe and what I must compromise to find a church. No church will be perfect as all are comprised of people just like me who're imperfect, but seeking the Lord Jesus in their journey to know God.

Beliefs I know for certain are "God, community, and family", I believe a church has an important role in all three and each should be valued and promoted among it's members (also the world too). Another is I belief at the heart of God's word and the Gospel of Jesus are mercy and justice; these seem to be major themes in the Bible and characteristics of God and Jesus; so an active church volunteering, donating, addressing social/economic issues etc would be great. Preferably I rather not be expected (required) to believe certain things not essential or very interpretative, but left to me and others to learn for themselves personally.

Presently I consider myself since the beginning as non-denominational as I've never identified or associated being a regular church goer. I do remember when I was young going to a protestant church of some type and also another time a catholic church for summer daytime events involving children (e.g. play reenacting a Bible story). Other than that a couple times I think my sister and I got our mom to take us to the catholic church on Sundays.

Now where I live with my family (Uncle, Aunt, and two cousins), we have three churches near us . One is a small and older (supposedly) Baptist church, only of the three if I remember correctly to have graves. Second is a Methodist church has a fenced children's playground and my Uncle said he had gone there when he was younger. Third is an Episcopal church that's liberal or progressive as it has a female minister, possibly well known to certain people as I think she's a Dr. of some type and has her name under the church on the sign, also on the website it has Dr. Ellen Davis YouTube video who believes in teaching people to apply the Bible to their lives. Seems the third would be the church for me but I'm more traditional about what I believe and don't think it's Biblical for women to be ministers.

I'm not sure about any of these three, I'm looking online about non-denominational (What are non-denominational churches and Churches of Christ), think I saw a church somewhere named Churches of Christ but not sure if it's near enough as working with my Uncle takes me as far as thirty to an hour away. Thank you in advance for reading this long post, any advice or thoughts would be great.

Last edited:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Preferably I rather not be expected (required) to believe certain things not essential or very interpretative, but left to me and others to learn for themselves personally.
………….…………………………………………………………………………………………………………...
Seems the third (Episcopal-my edit) would be the church for me but I'm more traditional about what I believe and don't think it's Biblical for women to be ministers.

:scratch: I feel as though I'm getting mixed signals here.

I'm not sure about any of these three, I'm looking online about non-denominational (What are non-denominational churches and Churches of Christ), think I saw a church somewhere named Churches of Christ but not sure if it's near enough as working with my Uncle takes me as far as thirty to an hour away. Thank you in advance for reading this long post, any advice or thoughts would be great.
Although the Churches of Christ refer to themselves as non-denominational, they amount to a denomination...and are also strict and doctrinally uncompromising. However, since your choices are limited, this might be worth looking into.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Methodists also ordain women so if that's a stopper for you and more important than other issues of theology or practice, it seems like you're not left with much choice. I think we all have different "stoppers" when it comes to selecting faith groups. You have to figure out yours.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's more than what you believe and practice
yes

No church will be perfect
true

I find it very good to mainly pray about my own self becoming the way God wants. And share with others how God has been correcting me and maturing me, so they can be helped by this.

If you share with a church, I would say try to discover who the mature senior Christian people are and make sure you share with these people. Of course, older ones might be not truly mature in Jesus, but have refined how they relate socially. So, see if someone is an example who helps you get more real with God and the person knows the Scriptures, and helps you find out how to love in a close relationship while caring about any and all people.

Hopefully the pastor will be an example like this. But it can be the mature examples are at the back of the church, while a younger person is up front.

Beliefs I know for certain are "God, community, and family", I believe a church has an important role in all three and each should be valued and promoted among it's members (also the world too).
Yes, and the church is family.

Now, in the community, you might do well to discover who God has you helping personally while sharing personal time with a person, without a schedule and program controlling and limiting things. But planned activities can be a good opportunity to share with others in your church, plus to reach people for Jesus, including ones helping who might not be saved.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's great you are looking to draw near to God by being part of a local church. I think your heart is in the right place. I remember a couple of years back when I decided to take my walk with the Lord seriously, I stopped attending a couple of churches because of my lack of confidence in the leaders. God values and understands the importance of leadership. Leadership is a privilege and of vital importance, much hinges on leadership. Leadership can make or break institutions, nations, and churches. Men are called to be leaders and if this is not modelled in the church, then I think there is a reason to be concerned. Be careful to not join a legalistic church. Look for a church that is known for their love for God and God's people and stay committed there. I am now fully committed to one local non-denominational church too, and I thank God for leading the way. May the Lord direct you in His perfect will.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
There are official church teachings, and then there is what folks in the pew believe. More often than not, the two are different, in some cases, its minor, but in many others, its pretty substantial. That being said, practice does tend to align, even if the underlying beliefs which drive a given practice may be anything but uniform.

If its at all possible, see if you can subscribe to podcasts of the above churches you list. Hearing a few sermons can give you a good feel as to whether you would be comfortable with a given pastor or churches teachings.

As far as Church of Christ goes... thats tricky as they are super autonomous, so what might be cool with one could well be a huge stumbling block for others. Granted, most only ascribe to a limited number of beliefs and leave their members to make their calls on the rest... but there are some churches who make exceptions to this. Likewise, there are Instrumental, and non-instrumental Churches of Christ, so don't be surprised if you come across a full blown worship band and light show when you were expecting a non-instrumental form of worship.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
After a few years I think it's been, I've personally began my walk with God. But it has been me reading the Bible and coming online here for what worship and fellowship that's possible. I'll admit I have a long way to go and probably won't ever know for certain if my beliefs are accurate. But finally at thirty years after a long delay in life, I have my first car and can eventually go to church regularly. I've realized it's much different offline and in person when considering church, as it's more than what you believe and practice mostly alone according to your will or convenience. Actually feel the need to consider what I believe and what I must compromise to find a church. No church will be perfect as all are comprised of people just like me who're imperfect, but seeking the Lord Jesus in their journey to know God.

Beliefs I know for certain are "God, community, and family", I believe a church has an important role in all three and each should be valued and promoted among it's members (also the world too). Another is I belief at the heart of God's word and the Gospel of Jesus are mercy and justice; these seem to be major themes in the Bible and characteristics of God and Jesus; so an active church volunteering, donating, addressing social/economic issues etc would be great. Preferably I rather not be expected (required) to believe certain things not essential or very interpretative, but left to me and others to learn for themselves personally.

Presently I consider myself since the beginning as non-denominational as I've never identified or associated being a regular church goer. I do remember when I was young going to a protestant church of some type and also another time a catholic church for summer daytime events involving children (e.g. play reenacting a Bible story). Other than that a couple times I think my sister and I got our mom to take us to the catholic church on Sundays.

Now where I live with my family (Uncle, Aunt, and two cousins), we have three churches near us . One is a small and older (supposedly) Baptist church, only of the three if I remember correctly to have graves. Second is a Methodist church has a fenced children's playground and my Uncle said he had gone there when he was younger. Third is an Episcopal church that's liberal or progressive as it has a female minister, possibly well known to certain people as I think she's a Dr. of some type and has her name under the church on the sign, also on the website it has Dr. Ellen Davis YouTube video who believes in teaching people to apply the Bible to their lives. Seems the third would be the church for me but I'm more traditional about what I believe and don't think it's Biblical for women to be ministers.

I'm not sure about any of these three, I'm looking online about non-denominational (What are non-denominational churches and Churches of Christ), think I saw a church somewhere named Churches of Christ but not sure if it's near enough as working with my Uncle takes me as far as thirty to an hour away. Thank you in advance for reading
this long post, any advice or thoughts would be great.

Ok, so generally I agree with everything you have said. Regardless, I'm not you, and you're not me. But as you have pretty much figured out, this is simply a choice that you as an individual, have to make. Now obviously I would talk to G-d about it, but it's still on you to make the choice.

Therefore, I can only answer this for how I would see it.

You mentioned not wanting to be required to believe certain things.
Every church is going to have some belief somewhere that you disagree with. Non-denominational doesn't mean they don't have specific beliefs that you will be expected to follow. It just means they don't have a pre-defined set of beliefs established by some over-arching group. But that individual church will have their own beliefs set by the pastor.

And by the way, not all Baptist churches believe exactly the same either, or any other denomination. If you go to a Methodist church way out in the country, it will be very different from a Methodist church in the city.

At any rate, only way to have a church where you agree with everything the church teaches, is if you yourself are the church, and you preach to yourself.

If you intend to be part of a Christian congregation, you have to accept and submit yourself to the views of that congregation. That's life. It's just like working for an employer. Every employer has idiotic rules that makes no sense. You simply follow them no matter how stupid, and get paid.

I go to a church right now that has some views that I personally think are wrong. But I choose to follow their rules in their church, and I don't talk badly about them, and no one at that church knows I disagree with them. Now obviously these are not important doctrine like, "we don't believe in communion" or something really significant. If you are in church that believes Jesus was just faking it, or something, yeah move on.

So about those churches. What would I do? Let's see, what would I do....

Option 1, the Methodist church.

I would commit to going to the whatever church, for a minimum of 3 months. In 3 months, I would stand back, and take an assessment of how my time there was going. I want to go there long enough, that I'm not just having a exceptionally good, or even bad, experience that was just a one-off event. You need to go long enough that you have a clear idea of what the church is like. I think 3 months should do it.

Sometimes you have one bad day at that church, but that was just a random thing. You stick with it for a few weeks, and find out it really isn't all that bad. Equally some people come in, and it's so great that first day, but then after a few weeks, you realize they are crazy, and you need to leave. So give it a few weeks to see what it is really like.

Options 2, the Baptist Church is where I would go.

I would not, I would NOT go to the Episcopal. My honest apologize to any Episcopalians on the forum, the open embrace of homosexuality which is as clearly a defined sin as you can get, to me indicates they are anti-G-d to me.

Additionally, I believe the same as you, on women in the church. While women have a vital and important roll in the church, I do not believe they can be ministers, and I would never be able to sit through a church service, with a woman acting as preacher. Sorry if that bothers anyone, but I would never go to such a church. It's just my view, it's just what I would do, so it is the advice that I give.

Option 3 is of course going to another church further away.

Option 4 is to continue with online ministry. For almost a year, I was between churches. I was looking for another church to attend, but had not yet found one.

During that time I attended Sea Coast church in North Carolina.
Seacoast Church
Excellent people, online service, and teaching. When I found a local church to attend, it was sad saying goodbye to all those people.

Other options that I would recommend:
Celebration Church out of Wisconsin
Celebration Church | Home

Woodland Hills Family Church out of Branson MO.
Woodland Hills Family Church - Woodland Hills

There is yet a 5th option.
Start your own church. If you can find someone that wants to start a non-denominational Bible church, if you know anyone that is willing to teach what the Bible says, maybe meet at your house, and have just a house church. If there is a need for real clear Bible teaching in your area, and none of these other churches are doing it....

It's just a thought.

So I want to just briefly touch on a couple of things you said.

so an active church volunteering, donating, addressing social/economic issues etc would be great.

First, donating. I am not sure if you are referring to tithing, but in case you are, I have always believed that it is a vital duty of a Christian man, in the Army of the Lord, to Tithe money to his cause.

By that, I mean I have always tithed at all times, throughout all my life. Others may disagree on that, or say that it's a good thing but not required, but I believe it is duty.

So even if I don't go to church, even if I'm between churches, I have always consistently tithed. When I was between churches, and I was going to Sea Coast church online, I tithed to Sea Coast Online.

Second,volunteering. While I don't see volunteering to be on the same level as tithing to G-d almighty, I do believe that it is a good thing for all Christians to do, even if it is no more than 1 day a month.

Now I don't know how the churches in your area operate, but here you don't need to be a member of a church, to help out in volunteering ministries.

Equally, I do not believe what some Christians say, that you should help only with church ministries. You can join the American Red Cross, and help out. So don't be put off by the idea of helping a pagan run charity that helps people.

Third, addressing economic social issues.

I don't know what that means, but for some reason it rubs me the wrong way. I've never heard a Christian phrase it that way. I hope you don't mean protesting walmart or some other nonsense.

My parents are retired, and one of the coolest things they started doing, was going to childrens hospital. So, if you don't know, the government health care systems around the world really suck, so people around the world have been sending their kids to the US for health care. But they can't afford to come here with their kids.

So kids... some very young, all the way up to 14 and 15 years old, are sent to the US to get care, and they are utterly and entirely alone. No friends, no one to talk to, no relatives, no one in the US at all.

My parents found this out, and started going to Children's Hospital, and they play games with them, and talk about anything and everything, they'll even take them out if they can leave the hospital, I think they went to the Zoo with one of them. They basically partially adopt these kids, and hang out with them for a couple of years until their treatment is finished.

Now if that is what you mean for a social issue, then I think it's a great idea.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:scratch: I feel as though I'm getting mixed signals here.

Although the Churches of Christ refer to themselves as non-denominational, they amount to a denomination...and are also strict and doctrinally uncompromising. However, since your choices are limited, this might be worth looking into.

The Bible seems clear about ordaining women, all the Apostles and leaders of churches were male. Also said women shouldn't have authority over men. I'm not saying women weren't leaders or have any authority, but giving what's in the Bible and the culture it was probably limited mainly to other women and children (not over the Church or a church).

Ok, so generally I agree with everything you have said. Regardless, I'm not you, and you're not me. But as you have pretty much figured out, this is simply a choice that you as an individual, have to make. Now obviously I would talk to G-d about it, but it's still on you to make the choice.

Therefore, I can only answer this for how I would see it.

You mentioned not wanting to be required to believe certain things.
Every church is going to have some belief somewhere that you disagree with. Non-denominational doesn't mean they don't have specific beliefs that you will be expected to follow. It just means they don't have a pre-defined set of beliefs established by some over-arching group. But that individual church will have their own beliefs set by the pastor.

And by the way, not all Baptist churches believe exactly the same either, or any other denomination. If you go to a Methodist church way out in the country, it will be very different from a Methodist church in the city.

At any rate, only way to have a church where you agree with everything the church teaches, is if you yourself are the church, and you preach to yourself.

If you intend to be part of a Christian congregation, you have to accept and submit yourself to the views of that congregation. That's life. It's just like working for an employer. Every employer has idiotic rules that makes no sense. You simply follow them no matter how stupid, and get paid.

I go to a church right now that has some views that I personally think are wrong. But I choose to follow their rules in their church, and I don't talk badly about them, and no one at that church knows I disagree with them. Now obviously these are not important doctrine like, "we don't believe in communion" or something really significant. If you are in church that believes Jesus was just faking it, or something, yeah move on.

So about those churches. What would I do? Let's see, what would I do....

Option 1, the Methodist church.

I would commit to going to the whatever church, for a minimum of 3 months. In 3 months, I would stand back, and take an assessment of how my time there was going. I want to go there long enough, that I'm not just having a exceptionally good, or even bad, experience that was just a one-off event. You need to go long enough that you have a clear idea of what the church is like. I think 3 months should do it.

Sometimes you have one bad day at that church, but that was just a random thing. You stick with it for a few weeks, and find out it really isn't all that bad. Equally some people come in, and it's so great that first day, but then after a few weeks, you realize they are crazy, and you need to leave. So give it a few weeks to see what it is really like.

Options 2, the Baptist Church is where I would go.

I would not, I would NOT go to the Episcopal. My honest apologize to any Episcopalians on the forum, the open embrace of homosexuality which is as clearly a defined sin as you can get, to me indicates they are anti-G-d to me.

Additionally, I believe the same as you, on women in the church. While women have a vital and important roll in the church, I do not believe they can be ministers, and I would never be able to sit through a church service, with a woman acting as preacher. Sorry if that bothers anyone, but I would never go to such a church. It's just my view, it's just what I would do, so it is the advice that I give.

Option 3 is of course going to another church further away.

Option 4 is to continue with online ministry. For almost a year, I was between churches. I was looking for another church to attend, but had not yet found one.

During that time I attended Sea Coast church in North Carolina.
Seacoast Church
Excellent people, online service, and teaching. When I found a local church to attend, it was sad saying goodbye to all those people.

Other options that I would recommend:
Celebration Church out of Wisconsin
Celebration Church | Home

Woodland Hills Family Church out of Branson MO.
Woodland Hills Family Church - Woodland Hills

There is yet a 5th option.
Start your own church. If you can find someone that wants to start a non-denominational Bible church, if you know anyone that is willing to teach what the Bible says, maybe meet at your house, and have just a house church. If there is a need for real clear Bible teaching in your area, and none of these other churches are doing it....

It's just a thought.

So I want to just briefly touch on a couple of things you said.

so an active church volunteering, donating, addressing social/economic issues etc would be great.

First, donating. I am not sure if you are referring to tithing, but in case you are, I have always believed that it is a vital duty of a Christian man, in the Army of the Lord, to Tithe money to his cause.

By that, I mean I have always tithed at all times, throughout all my life. Others may disagree on that, or say that it's a good thing but not required, but I believe it is duty.

So even if I don't go to church, even if I'm between churches, I have always consistently tithed. When I was between churches, and I was going to Sea Coast church online, I tithed to Sea Coast Online.

Second,volunteering. While I don't see volunteering to be on the same level as tithing to G-d almighty, I do believe that it is a good thing for all Christians to do, even if it is no more than 1 day a month.

Now I don't know how the churches in your area operate, but here you don't need to be a member of a church, to help out in volunteering ministries.

Equally, I do not believe what some Christians say, that you should help only with church ministries. You can join the American Red Cross, and help out. So don't be put off by the idea of helping a pagan run charity that helps people.

Third, addressing economic social issues.

I don't know what that means, but for some reason it rubs me the wrong way. I've never heard a Christian phrase it that way. I hope you don't mean protesting walmart or some other nonsense.

My parents are retired, and one of the coolest things they started doing, was going to childrens hospital. So, if you don't know, the government health care systems around the world really suck, so people around the world have been sending their kids to the US for health care. But they can't afford to come here with their kids.

So kids... some very young, all the way up to 14 and 15 years old, are sent to the US to get care, and they are utterly and entirely alone. No friends, no one to talk to, no relatives, no one in the US at all.

My parents found this out, and started going to Children's Hospital, and they play games with them, and talk about anything and everything, they'll even take them out if they can leave the hospital, I think they went to the Zoo with one of them. They basically partially adopt these kids, and hang out with them for a couple of years until their treatment is finished.

Now if that is what you mean for a social issue, then I think it's a great idea.

I agree about tithing, it's something I'd want to do regularly. Along with volunteering and donations for causes like your parents. Being pro-life it would be awesome to do something with adoption/foster care, but even Children's Hospital would be great too.

For socioeconomic let's say both, like helping the poor but also standing up when there's wrong against them (unfairly judging them for being poor or exploiting their circumstances). Just honest and truthful like Jesus who stood for people against the Pharisees (Luke 18:9-14, Matthew 23:13-14)

Same here I wouldn't be comfortable and would feel I was going against God if I go to a church with ordained women. Sad to read, @seeking.IAM , my Uncle actually brought the Methodist Church up again that our neighbors go there and would ask them about going if that's where I would go. So that narrows it down to either the Baptist church or denominational church nearby (Churches of Christ possibly?). I'll check more about Churches of Christ and then make a decision. Thanks everyone for the advice!

• Agree
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Most churches have their own character, which is not always based on their denomination. That means you'd want to find some way to assess them. Maybe a web page, talking to members you know, going to the church.

Non-denominational churches are not always neutral. They normally have their own doctrines.

Unfortunately the ones that are broadest are ones you don't want, the Methodist and Episcopal. They match what you say in your post. Every church ought to be involved in service, but mercy and justice are the focus of the mainline / liberal churches. By the way, female pastors are not necessarily particularly progressive.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Bible seems clear about ordaining women, all the Apostles and leaders of churches were male. Also said women shouldn't have authority over men. I'm not saying women weren't leaders or have any authority, but giving what's in the Bible and the culture it was probably limited mainly to other women and children (not over the Church or a church).
...a slight mix-up here, and I am at fault for not being clearer in my initial response. When I said that I felt I was getting mixed signals, it wasn't because of the women's ordination issue. I was referring to the fact that you said that you were not inclined towards a church that told you to believe this or that...but you went on to describe yourself as a traditional believer opposed to compromising important issues.

Sometimes it just takes a little more give and take to figure out what our best advice would be. You, however, have relatively few alternatives, and it may be that the local Church of Christ would be the best fit for you. Its good that you have decided to check into them and find out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most churches have their own character, which is not always based on their denomination. That means you'd want to find some way to assess them. Maybe a web page, talking to members you know, going to the church.

Non-denominational churches are not always neutral. They normally have their own doctrines.

Unfortunately the ones that are broadest are ones you don't want, the Methodist and Episcopal. They match what you say in your post. Every church ought to be involved in service, but mercy and justice are the focus of the mainline / liberal churches. By the way, female pastors are not necessarily particularly progressive.

Yeah it's much like being online here but instead of a forum site it's the physical world. The major difference is the ease of just going online at one place for everything Christian, certain groups and kinds of people a click away. Many choices yet not really required to make one. Now I'm trying to make that shift as a Christian from mainly online and individually to offline and collectively.

Unfortunately you're correct as we're all in one way or another, including churches, even with the best motivations and intentions have bias. My hope is non-denominational would least try to be more biblical limiting their bias and what they asked or expected from it's members be as near to what's in the Bible.

Actually, I think it was Thursday night I searched online for nearest Churches of Christ and found one which had a site. Seems to be the one, it has a mission statement based around Discipleship, Unity, and Community Service; each with short explanation and bullet-point plans of the church for each along with some scriptural support accordingly. I hope to go tomorrow and it'll be the church for me.

It's difficult as I rather it not be an issue. Personally I don't condemn churches or women when it comes to ordinations. I'm just trying to learn what I believe and live it, do so the best I can according to God's word. Who knows I could be wrong and judged for it in the end. Until then leave each to go where they're called, can be best equipped and supported in the Lord.

I guess that's possible but inconsistent as it would be progressive for her to be a Pastor, but for example if she opposed same-sex marriage it would be hypocritical. Basically mercy and justice for one here, but not the same understanding for others there; which as Christians we should try to avoid (not perfectly but humanly as possible).

...a slight mix-up here, and I am at fault for not being clearer in my initial response. When I said that I felt I was getting mixed signals, it wasn't because of the women's ordination issue. I was referring to the fact that you said that you were not inclined towards a church that told you to believe this or that...but you went on to describe yourself as a traditional believer opposed to compromising important issues.

Sometimes it just takes a little more give and take to figure out what our best advice would be. You, however, have relatively few alternatives, and it may be that the local Church of Christ would be the best fit for you. Its good that you have decided to check into them and find out.

Oh okay, it's a matter of what's in the Bible being explicit or implicit (interpretative). An example of what I meant was requiring church leaders to be celibate when it was only an alternative to marriage; Jesus mentioned eunuchs regarding the responsibility and difficulty of marriage, later both marriage and celibacy were suggested by the Apostles depending. No requirement of leadership to be celibate but nothing explicitly in my mind to oppose a requirement.

So this is something I would willingly compromise regardless of what I believed for them or me. No reason or need to make it difficult for leadership, but also it's not required for members to make that decision occupying official leader roles or be members of a specific church hindering their service. Except if I'm incorrect the Bible leaves little wiggle room for compromising specifically for the issue of ordaining women.

Yes I have fewer alternatives and admittedly less compromising than I had thought. Seems to be the case as I've found a Church of Christ, not as near as the others but near. Still I'm thankful for y'all helping me process through it, hopefully I can do the same for y'all in the future.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh okay, it's a matter of what's in the Bible being explicit or implicit (interpretative). An example of what I meant was requiring church leaders to be celibate when it was only an alternative to marriage; Jesus mentioned eunuchs regarding the responsibility and difficulty of marriage, later both marriage and celibacy were suggested by the Apostles depending. No requirement of leadership to be celibate but nothing explicitly in my mind to oppose a requirement.
Probably an unfortunate choice of example because there is no requirement in Scripture requiring Christian ministers to be celibate, but I don't think there is a Christian denomination which says anything to the contrary. In the Roman Catholic Church, which is the one that comes to mind, it is just a regulation that was instituted for the purposes of good order in the church, and not all priests are celibate anyway.

Except if I'm incorrect the Bible leaves little wiggle room for compromising specifically for the issue of ordaining women.
Understood. So you have some churches that go one way and others that take the opposite POV. I think that there are no women ministers in the Churches of Christ.

Yes I have fewer alternatives and admittedly less compromising than I had thought. Seems to be the case as I've found a Church of Christ, not as near as the others but near. Still I'm thankful for y'all helping me process through it, hopefully I can do the same for y'all in the future.

Best wishes to you in your search, and I hope you will get back to us when you make some decision--or even before.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Probably an unfortunate choice of example because there is no requirement in Scripture requiring Christian ministers to be celibate, but I don't think there is a Christian denomination which says anything to the contrary. In the Roman Catholic Church, which is the one that comes to mind, it is just a regulation that was instituted for the purposes of good order in the church, and not all priests are celibate anyway.

Understood. So you have some churches that go one way and others that take the opposite POV. I think that there are no women ministers in the Churches of Christ.

Best wishes to you in your search, and I hope you will get back to us when you make some decision--or even before.

Thank you, I drove to the location to get familiar where the church was and I plan on going tomorrow for service. Then ease myself into this Church of Christ as a member with Bible classes and other events. I'm hoping for the best, God bless and Him to y'all too!

• Prayers
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, I drove to the location to get familiar where the church was and I plan on going tomorrow for service. Then ease myself into this Church of Christ as a member with Bible classes and other events. I'm hoping for the best, God bless and Him to y'all too!

Your heart is in the right place. May the Lord lead the way and guide your steps.

There are so many people who are into God and Christianity only for what they can get out of God and Christianity. But David the King was there to serve the Living God and to serve Him alone. That was the motive of his heart, and that was what God saw and that was why He distinguished David from the rest of his brothers. David did not only become a great king of Israel, but he became one of the greatest men in the entire history of the human race. Why? Because God is looking for:
  • Availability above ability
  • Willing servants, and not reluctant doers
  • God-servers, and not self-servers.
We are the Church.

Upvote 0