Finding my place in the baptist church

Jun 16, 2015
✟9,422.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I seem to be having a hard time "finding my place" in the baptist church. More specifically, I'm having a hard time identifying my spiritual gifts, and finding a ministry to serve in that uses those gifts. At times, especially the last few weeks, I've been doubting if I have spiritual gifts, and in turn doubting my salvation since all believers have at least one spiritual gift.

Have you ever been in this situation? If so, how did you identify your spiritual gifts, and how did you find a ministry/service for God to use your gift in?

Edit: I would like to add one thing - that I do feel drawn towards internet ministry. In the past I have done minor online christian counseling through a website called Setting Captives Free, but that website was shut down and morphed into a different ministry. I also was a moderator of a Christian forum for a while, but that website ended up changing direction and practically died, so I left that ministry as well. I don't know if this would be considered a gift, seeing that my written communication is better than my oral communication. But what I do know is that I have enjoyed online ministries in the past, and felt somewhat "fulfilled" by them. But I don't really know where to serve online now, since the ministries that I was familiar with are no longer in my life. Perhaps God does want me doing online ministries? Or maybe he wanted to use these ministries to push me to do something else in person? I'm not sure.

Last edited:

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
More specifically, I'm having a hard time identifying my spiritual gifts, and finding a ministry to serve in that uses those gifts. At times, especially the last few weeks, I've been doubting if I have spiritual gifts, and in turn doubting my salvation since all believers have at least one spiritual gift.

You're a solution looking for a problem. I'm not kidding. The best method to filling needs is to first effectively identify the needs and then look for the proper solution. When you start by identifying your gifts, then looking for a way to apply them, you work in reverse. Most problems that arise in the church are not readily fitted to what most people would identify as their special gift. The vast majority of needs in a congregation would go wholly unmet if people merely opted to help in situations where they felt uniquely gifted (Moses tried to use this argument, and it didn't fly with God. He still had to do the job). I don't find that God uses superheroes or saints to fulfill his calling. Rather, he seems to prefer using the weak to subdue the strong, the simple to confound the wise, etc. In other words, you need to be ready to serve in a way in which you feel inept, not because of how well you do the task, but because of how much it is needed.

Incidentally, I have yet to see any spiritual gifts in myself, so if you must feel bad, then so must I, because we're both in the same boat. Frankly, I'm feeling fine. I hope you have a nice day.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with post #2. I haven't seen any spiritual gifts in myself either. I'm doing just fine. Maybe it is my commanding presents when I enter a room. Maybe that is my spiritual gift?

But anyway. Relax...let go and let God do His work, He don't need your help. Remember, if you are going to fix it, He will step back and let you. But if you want Him to do it...Step back...Move away from it...and let Him have at it.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I seem to be having a hard time "finding my place" in the baptist church. More specifically, I'm having a hard time identifying my spiritual gifts, and finding a ministry to serve in that uses those gifts. At times, especially the last few weeks, I've been doubting if I have spiritual gifts, and in turn doubting my salvation since all believers have at least one spiritual gift.

Have you ever been in this situation? If so, how did you identify your spiritual gifts, and how did you find a ministry/service for God to use your gift in?

Edit: I would like to add one thing - that I do feel drawn towards internet ministry. In the past I have done minor online christian counseling through a website called Setting Captives Free, but that website was shut down and morphed into a different ministry. I also was a moderator of a Christian forum for a while, but that website ended up changing direction and practically died, so I left that ministry as well. I don't know if this would be considered a gift, seeing that my written communication is better than my oral communication. But what I do know is that I have enjoyed online ministries in the past, and felt somewhat "fulfilled" by them. But I don't really know where to serve online now, since the ministries that I was familiar with are no longer in my life. Perhaps God does want me doing online ministries? Or maybe he wanted to use these ministries to push me to do something else in person? I'm not sure.

May I suggest Living on the Edge web site. There Pastor Chip helped me more fully define my spiritual Gift. LOE is where he has a series of about four messages and it is the most in depth help I have ever found.

For many, many years I have struggled as to what my gift was. I even told my wife that when I died I was going to ask God what my gift was or how did I miss out in getting one. First let me say I don't think many Christians know what their gift is. I have taken all kinds of tests and it always came out I had so many that were so close that it was unclear what it was. I am 70 years young. I pastored four churches, so my stress level over what my gift was really hurting me deep inside. I wanted to know my gift so badly! I prayed and I read and nothing fit well at all!

Finally two weeks ago I heard pastor chip speak on spiritual gifts. After hearing him and reading what the bible said...I FINALLY KEW MY GIFT!!! Praise the Lord! Thank you Jesus! My Spiritual Gift is Exhortation! Now when I look back on my life, of course it is, I have been using it all the time I just did not have the key to unlock the door. How wonderful and sweet it is to know the Gift I thought I was missing, but in reality, I was not.

I hope this will help you and anyone who wants to know their Spiritual Gift livingontheedge.org is the place to find your gift at least for me it did.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I appreciate all of the replies and the wisdom that you guys shared. I will check out Chip Ingrim's series on spiritual gifts, I actually listen to him often, he is a great encouragement.

That's a plan that will work. Let us know what you think.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Pray and ask God to show you what needs to be done in your church. It could even be something simple, for example, maybe they want someone greeting and blessing people at the door. The gift of hospitality is something thats very improtant but often overlooked.

For me, it was God giving me His sword of truth. As part of the armour of God, I mean in unpacking the gift of salvation, thats what I found. So He led me to join a writers group, that someone in my bible study was in.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

How long have you been a Christian? Just curious. Whatever your listening to is dangerous if it is causing you to question your salvation over this.

Upvote 0