England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
At the age of 50, I still cannot speak the language of my grandmother and great-grandparents - Danish. My first language is English.

I have toyed with the Danish language over the years but it never amounted to anything. My Danish grandmother, who also spoke fluent English, moved to the north of England with her new English husband just after the Second World War. They raised a boy and a girl. My grandmother was an extrovert and she sought to integrate as much as possible, whilst at the same retaining close connection with her Danish identity. Her family regularly visited her parents and brothers and sisters back in Denmark and kept in touch by telephone.

I will probably never know how much Danish my mother understands. However, my grandmother once told me about an experience my mother and uncle had after returning from a summer holiday in Denmark when they were both young. They could only speak Danish and had forgotten how to speak English. They didn't go out to play with their friends until they could speak English again. I can only imagine it must have been terrifying, knowing that they were English but could not speak English, feeling trapped. I suspect this was a defining moment for my mother, and probably made her decide to turn her back on her Danish identity.

My mother never spoke a single word of Danish to me. My grandmother never taught me Danish probably because this would cause conflict with her daughter. I had been told my grandmother was Danish when I was a small boy, but any family Danish identity which existed was never expressed in our home.

When I realised recently that I was not a whole Christian because I did not have a fully developed English and Danish identity, I realised that not understanding Danish meant I couldn't have an identity.

Now, as I begin to learn Danish, I begin to believe that I can be a person who expresses his emotions in Danish to Danish people. I will be able to relate to Danes. I will be able to join in conversations over a cup of coffee. I know many Danes speak good English, but by speaking in Danish I think I would feel more that I belonged. In worshipping Jesus in Danish and in a lively Danish church I would truly find freedom and I would feel I had returned Home.

Sadly, I am learning Danish in private and I am developing my Danish identity in private. I will probably never greet my mother in Danish. We will probably never sit down together and have a conversation in Danish over a cup of coffee. I will never wish her Happy Birthday in Danish. I will never wish her a Merry Christmas in Danish. My mother will probably go to her grave without ever making a first move to speak with me in Danish. I feel that it is like a punishment, a curse placed upon my family.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I realised recently that I was not a whole Christian because I did not have a fully developed English and Danish identity, I realised that not understanding Danish meant I couldn't have an identity

This is really interesting. But, a quick question. Why would you not be a whole Christian, unless you fully developed your English and Danish identities? Just curious.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I realised recently that I was not a whole Christian because I did not have a fully developed English and Danish identity, I realised that not understanding Danish meant I couldn't have an identity.

Really ???

Your identity as a child of the promise is the deeper identity you should seek.

This identity is beyond earthly boundaries of language, custom and nationality.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, I am learning Danish in private and I am developing my Danish identity in private. I will probably never greet my mother in Danish. We will probably never sit down together and have a conversation in Danish over a cup of coffee. I will never wish her Happy Birthday in Danish. I will never wish her a Merry Christmas in Danish. My mother will probably go to her grave without ever making a first move to speak with me in Danish. I feel that it is like a punishment, a curse placed upon my family.

It is better to see the circumstances as an opportunity for Jesus to bring blessing...

Ponder the verse "I will give you the treasures of darkness...

There is always a treasure to be had from any dark circumstance of life.

Last week I spoke to an uncle who I didn't know I existed and he knew none of his relations.

He did not know who he was for 70 years.

The joy to talk was very deep.

God is good.

Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm a keen linguist and can speak fairly fluent French and little bits of other languages.

I can really identify with you wanting to learn the language of your grandparents and/or ancestors. As an adoptee, I am very keen to find out more about my natural family history and have done a lot of research on the topic. I learned that the majority of my family tree records come from Cornwall (a remote area of South West England) therefore it is likely that many of my earliest ancestors spoke Cornish (an ancient celtic language similar to Welsh). Unfortunately today the language is almost extinct, although it has survived in literature, in village names, road signs, and there have been rigorous efforts to revive it. I have studied it and find it fascinating.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Truly1999, this is interesting to me! I thought it was usual to be both a second and third generation immigrant, to be a bit foreign, a different bit racial, and a religious minority within a religious minority.

But I took it for granted and didn't examine the startling details (and have never been fluent in anything foreign). I didn't know my grandparents, and am afraid to make enquiries after one of my grandfathers - though I hold his wife as a heroine.

I try to dabble in as many languages as I can now (with or without grammar) and I think words and phrases are wonderful. I'm so glad God made me me and I think words are utterly wonderful.

When we experience experience, it is very "in our face" isn't it!

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the age of 50, I still cannot speak the language of my grandmother and great-grandparents - Danish. My first language is English.

I have toyed with the Danish language over the years but it never amounted to anything. My Danish grandmother, who also spoke fluent English, moved to the north of England with her new English husband just after the Second World War. They raised a boy and a girl. My grandmother was an extrovert and she sought to integrate as much as possible, whilst at the same retaining close connection with her Danish identity. Her family regularly visited her parents and brothers and sisters back in Denmark and kept in touch by telephone.

I will probably never know how much Danish my mother understands. However, my grandmother once told me about an experience my mother and uncle had after returning from a summer holiday in Denmark when they were both young. They could only speak Danish and had forgotten how to speak English. They didn't go out to play with their friends until they could speak English again. I can only imagine it must have been terrifying, knowing that they were English but could not speak English, feeling trapped. I suspect this was a defining moment for my mother, and probably made her decide to turn her back on her Danish identity.

My mother never spoke a single word of Danish to me. My grandmother never taught me Danish probably because this would cause conflict with her daughter. I had been told my grandmother was Danish when I was a small boy, but any family Danish identity which existed was never expressed in our home.

Now, as I begin to learn Danish, I begin to believe that I can be a person who expresses his emotions in Danish to Danish people. I will be able to relate to Danes. I will be able to join in conversations over a cup of coffee. I know many Danes speak good English, but by speaking in Danish I think I would feel more that I belonged. In worshipping Jesus in Danish and in a lively Danish church I would truly find freedom and I would feel I had returned Home.

I learned a little Spanish to deal with Spanish speaking customers. I had a Spanish-English workbook. I left that job and lost my desire to learn more Spanish. Much of what I learned is gone.

Since traveling to Israel numerous times, I learned some basic greetings and a few dozen words. Most of it is gone. My ability to read signs in Hebrew phonetically is gone. Most of their major road signs are in English, Hebrew and Arabic. I met an Israeli who told me they teach English in grade school. Some Israelis were born in America and speak good English.

I traveled in the Sinai and was proud of myself to read the Arabic sign, “Shatt Suez,” Suez Canal. That is gone. I once asked a bilingual person what coffee is in Arabic. He answered, “Nescafé.”

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
This is really interesting. But, a quick question. Why would you not be a whole Christian, unless you fully developed your English and Danish identities? Just curious.
Good question, I really meant I am not the disciple I thought I was. Out of the blue, about one month ago, God revealed this to me. Until I have developed my Danish identity as much as my English identity, I cannot serve Jesus on mission and the place He wants me is in Denmark. It is through learning the Danish labguage that I will develop my identity, I realise. But I am not a whole Dane, and I should not try to be.

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm a keen linguist and can speak fairly fluent French and little bits of other languages.

I can really identify with you wanting to learn the language of your grandparents and/or ancestors. As an adoptee, I am very keen to find out more about my natural family history and have done a lot of research on the topic. I learned that the majority of my family tree records come from Cornwall (a remote area of South West England) therefore it is likely that many of my earliest ancestors spoke Cornish (an ancient celtic language similar to Welsh). Unfortunately today the language is almost extinct, although it has survived in literature, in village names, road signs, and there have been rigorous efforts to revive it. I have studied it and find it fascinating.
It's interesting what you say. I follow the TV series Long Lost Family US as I used to try and understand my own situation and that seemed to be the nearest thing. I lived with my half-Danish mother and English father until I was in my early 20s, but I never and still don't know my mother. Even when I have developed my Danish identity there will still be an emptiness as my mother continues to deny her Danish heritage. As with Cornish, my learning of Danish should fill every aspect of my daily living, through the places, road signs, literature, TV and film.

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Truly1999, this is interesting to me! I thought it was usual to be both a second and third generation immigrant, to be a bit foreign, a different bit racial, and a religious minority within a religious minority.

But I took it for granted and didn't examine the startling details (and have never been fluent in anything foreign). I didn't know my grandparents, and am afraid to make enquiries after one of my grandfathers - though I hold his wife as a heroine.

I try to dabble in as many languages as I can now (with or without grammar) and I think words and phrases are wonderful. I'm so glad God made me me and I think words are utterly wonderful.

When we experience experience, it is very "in our face" isn't it!

Your reply has provoked me into thinking about the Church in England. I live in a small town in inland Britain, far from Scandinavian communities of the East Coast or West Coast, and no one ever discussed minority ethnic identities. I never mentioned I was part Danish, but I wish someone in the Church had encouraged me to explore my Danish heritage and that I had visited Danish churches in Denmark.

When I spoke my first Danish phrase from the Complete Danish language course by Bente Elsworth, I was stunned. It was as though I had been woken up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I learned a little Spanish to deal with Spanish speaking customers. I had a Spanish-English workbook. I left that job and lost my desire to learn more Spanish. Much of what I learned is gone.

Since traveling to Israel numerous times, I learned some basic greetings and a few dozen words. Most of it is gone. My ability to read signs in Hebrew phonetically is gone. Most of their major road signs are in English, Hebrew and Arabic. I met an Israeli who told me they teach English in grade school. Some Israelis were born in America and speak good English.

I traveled in the Sinai and was proud of myself to read the Arabic sign, “Shatt Suez,” Suez Canal. That is gone. I once asked a bilingual person what coffee is in Arabic. He answered, “Nescafé.”

I could get by in Denmark with just a basic understanding of Danish. I would not be expected to understand any more than a few Danish phrases. But the Vineyard churches in Scandinavia speak English at Vineyard Nordic events so I shouldn't wait to go to Denmark until I am an intermediate level speaker.

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
It is better to see the circumstances as an opportunity for Jesus to bring blessing...

Ponder the verse "I will give you the treasures of darkness...

There is always a treasure to be had from any dark circumstance of life.

Last week I spoke to an uncle who I didn't know I existed and he knew none of his relations.

He did not know who he was for 70 years.

The joy to talk was very deep.

God is good.
I leave the matter in God's hands. Once, when I was going through a period of darkness, I read through the Book of Job, in The Message, placing myself in the position of Job. God blessed me so much. Sadly, my mother does not know Jesus, but despite this, I am determined to live a fruitful life with my new Danish identity, whenever that will be. I will reach a point in the near future where God will renew my spirit and I will have become the disciple who Jesus expects me to be.

I don't know how my renewed life will look like, but I hope to visit Denmark on a regular basis. I will speak Danish as much as possible, more and more each week, but I want to be more than a tourist. I hope to make friends and have conversations, rather than just swapping phrases such as "Can I have a coffee and pastry, please?" or "can you tell me how to get to the train station, please?"

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I could get by in Denmark with just a basic understanding of Danish. I would not be expected to understand any more than a few Danish phrases. But the Vineyard churches in Scandinavia speak English at Vineyard Nordic events so I shouldn't wait to go to Denmark until I am an intermediate level speaker.
I went to Denmark a few years ago and spent a week in Copenhagen in a self-catering apartment with a friend. It's a fabulous city and we wanted to go touring. The Copenhagen Pass was recommended and I am so glad I bought it, because it gave access to so many free places across the city. We also travelled up to Helsingor on the train and crossed over by ferry to Helsingborg on the Swedish side. Another day, we went across the Oresund bridge up to Lund in Sweden. I had tried to learn a few Danish and Swedish phrases, but with most people we met, their command of English was so impeccable they could almost pass for native English speakers! The Nordic languages are so fascinating though, and some phrases are easy to learn. But getting the pronunciation right I've always found very hard. I've got a Swedish friend in London who tried to teach me how to pronounce words in Danish and Swedish and I still get it wrong!

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friend, it so happens that I used to live in Denmark and have very good christian friends there i can put you in touch with...

Jochen, my christian friend came to NZ on an internship in my company doing renewable energy. He was a nominal Lutheran but didn't know Jesus personally. He went in a holiday here and picked up a book by Nicky Gumble at a back packers, read the steps to become a Christian. Being a good German he faithfully and meticulously worked through the prescribed steps and was totally overcome by God's power and transformed. He returned to Bornholm and trained as a Pastor. They are living in Denmark, he is fluent in German, Dansk, English. If you contact them you will be well loved and understood.

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I went to Denmark a few years ago and spent a week in Copenhagen in a self-catering apartment with a friend. It's a fabulous city and we wanted to go touring. The Copenhagen Pass was recommended and I am so glad I bought it, because it gave access to so many free places across the city. We also travelled up to Helsingor on the train and crossed over by ferry to Helsingborg on the Swedish side. Another day, we went across the Oresund bridge up to Lund in Sweden. I had tried to learn a few Danish and Swedish phrases, but with most people we met, their command of English was so impeccable they could almost pass for native English speakers! The Nordic languages are so fascinating though, and some phrases are easy to learn. But getting the pronunciation right I've always found very hard. I've got a Swedish friend in London who tried to teach me how to pronounce words in Danish and Swedish and I still get it wrong!
A good grasp of the English language certainly seems to be crucial for Denmark, even 50 or 60 years ago. One small instance when my father was courting my mother and they visited her Danish relatives in Viborg in the 1960s. He visited a tobacconist for some matches, he told me. He went through a bizarre process of asking for "strikers" and demonstrating the process of striking a match, and the bemused shopkeeper said, in perfect English, "Oh, you mean matches!"

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Friend, it so happens that I used to live in Denmark and have very good christian friends there i can put you in touch with...

Jochen, my christian friend came to NZ on an internship in my company doing renewable energy. He was a nominal Lutheran but didn't know Jesus personally. He went in a holiday here and picked up a book by Nicky Gumble at a back packers, read the steps to become a Christian. Being a good German he faithfully and meticulously worked through the prescribed steps and was totally overcome by God's power and transformed. He returned to Bornholm and trained as a Pastor. They are living in Denmark, he is fluent in German, Dansk, English. If you contact them you will be well loved and understood.
Thanks for the offer, but I always make my own connections from scratch.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Good question, I really meant I am not the disciple I thought I was. Out of the blue, about one month ago, God revealed this to me. Until I have developed my Danish identity as much as my English identity, I cannot serve Jesus on mission and the place He wants me is in Denmark. It is through learning the Danish labguage that I will develop my identity, I realise. But I am not a whole Dane, and I should not try to be.

I'm going to assume that since your family is from Denamrk, they are (originally) Lutherans. As a Nordic Lutheran, I certainly feel that my Nordic identity is closely tied to my Nordic Lutheran identity. Do you have similar feelings?

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm going to assume that since your family is from Denamrk, they are (originally) Lutherans. As a Nordic Lutheran, I certainly feel that my Nordic identity is closely tied to my Nordic Lutheran identity. Do you have similar feelings?
Sorry for late reply, yes, my grandmother was raised Lutheran and, as the Danish law required, she received Religious Instruction from the Lutheran Church during her childhood. However, when she moved to England, back to her husband's hometown, there was no Scandinavian community and no Lutheran church. My grandmother was not a regular churchgoer of any denomination, although she was a committed Christian and passed on Christian values to her children and grandchildren.

I became a Christian at 15 and went to the Parish Church with which my local school had close links. It was a fairly High church and I valued the Christian fellowship there. As a result, I always believe that the main national church of a country should be given it's due recognition and respect for the role it has played in spreading the gospel. I think every Christian should experience and recognize the value of a country's national church as still being an important part of the church of Christ today.

However, in the New Testament we read about lively and open worship, and emphasis upon each church member developing a personal relationship with Jesus, which I believe comes through the charismatic and neo-charismatic wing of the Christian church. I cannot comment on the Lutheran church but I regard my Nordic identity as being formed from a mix of charismatic churches in Scandinavia, such as the Vineyard church in Denmark.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry for late reply, yes, my grandmother was raised Lutheran and, as the Danish law required, she received Religious Instruction from the Lutheran Church during her childhood. However, when she moved to England, back to her husband's hometown, there was no Scandinavian community and no Lutheran church. My grandmother was not a regular churchgoer of any denomination, although she was a committed Christian and passed on Christian values to her children and grandchildren.

I became a Christian at 15 and went to the Parish Church with which my local school had close links. It was a fairly High church and I valued the Christian fellowship there. As a result, I always believe that the main national church of a country should be given it's due recognition and respect for the role it has played in spreading the gospel. I think every Christian should experience and recognize the value of a country's national church as still being an important part of the church of Christ today.

However, in the New Testament we read about lively and open worship, and emphasis upon each church member developing a personal relationship with Jesus, which I believe comes through the charismatic and neo-charismatic wing of the Christian church. I cannot comment on the Lutheran church but I regard my Nordic identity as being formed from a mix of charismatic churches in Scandinavia, such as the Vineyard church in Denmark.

Thank you! I love hearing about other peoples' faith journeys. No one comes to the Father except through Me. However, how each one of us comes to Christ varies wildly. :)

I don't want to entertain undue nationalistic stereotypes, but it does seem that for the majority of us taciturn and socially reserved Finns, the episcopal structure and traditional "high church" liturgical worship comes more naturally, if you will, than the more charismatic and expressive services. Of course, one only needs to consider the Lutheran worship in Africa to see that Evangelical Lutheran doesn't have to mean solemn and muted, though.

Upvote 0