Finding "Catholic" in the Bible

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
CATHOLIC comes from the Greek word Katholikos, which was later Latinized into Catholicus.

It means 'Universal', which in itself means, 'of or relating to, or affecting the entire world and ALL peoples therein'. It means, ALL encompassing, comprehensibly broad, general, and containing ALL that is necessary. In summation, it means ALL people in ALL places, having ALL that is necessary, and for ALL time.

Matthew 28:19-20, "Go, therefore and make disciples of ALL nations...teaching them to observe ALL that I have commanded you; And behold, I am with you ALL days, even unto the consummation of the world."
That is a statement of Universality, Katholicos, Catholicus, Catholic.

Romans 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed (KATAnggeletai) throughout the world. (en HOLO to kosmo)

Acts 9:31 "So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Sama'ria had peace and was built up; and walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit it was multiplied."
There the words "church throughout all" is translated from the Greek words "Ecclesia kata holis".
Thus the word KATAHOLOS or Catholic in English originated from Scriptures -
Romans 1:8, Acts 9:31

"Where the Bishop appears, there let the people be, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."
St. Ignatius of Antioch's letter to the Smyrneans, paragraph 8, of 106 A.D.

It was after Ignatius that the term Catholic Church became used more and more to designate the true church.
Undoubtedly the word was in use before the time of this writing.

Written records of the term "CATHOLIC" describing a character of the Christian Church:

Martyrdom of St. Polycarp 155AD;
Clement of Alexandria, Stromateis 202AD;
Cyprian, Unity of the Catholic Church 251AD;
Cyprian, Letter to Florentius, 254AD

"Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The one designates me, while the other makes me specific. Thus am I attested and set apart... When we are called Catholics it is by this appellation that our people are kept apart from any heretical name."
Saint Pacian of Barcelona, Letter to Sympronian, 375 A.D.

Reactions: tadoflamb

introverteen

Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Spirit
✟46,033.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
CATHOLIC comes from the Greek word Katholikos, which was later Latinized into Catholicus.

It means 'Universal', which in itself means, 'of or relating to, or affecting the entire world and ALL peoples therein'. It means, ALL encompassing, comprehensibly broad, general, and containing ALL that is necessary. In summation, it means ALL people in ALL places, having ALL that is necessary, and for ALL time.

Matthew 28:19-20, "Go, therefore and make disciples of ALL nations...teaching them to observe ALL that I have commanded you; And behold, I am with you ALL days, even unto the consummation of the world."

Romans 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed (KATAnggeletai) throughout the world. (en HOLO to kosmo)

Acts 9:31 "So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Sama'ria had peace and was built up; and walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit it was multiplied."
There the words "church throughout all" is translated from the Greek words "Ecclesia kata holis".

"Where the Bishop appears, there let the people be, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church."

It was after Ignatius that the term Catholic Church became used more and more to designate the true church.

Written records of the term "CATHOLIC" describing a character of the Christian Church:

"Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The one designates me, while the other makes me specific. Thus am I attested and set apart... When we are called Catholics it is by this appellation that our people are kept apart from any heretical name."

Christian was a derogatory name for followers of Christ in the early days. To be 'proud' of a label is stupid when we are worms.
I understand that Catholic means universal but I don't believe the catholic denomination is the one true church.
If I call myself anything or answer to another it would be as a disciple of Jesus the Jewish Messiah.

• Haha
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

The Church IS Catholic AND Orthodox, but that does NOT mean Rome...

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Christian was a derogatory name for followers of Christ in the early days. To be 'proud' of a label is stupid when we are worms.
I understand that Catholic means universal but I don't believe the catholic denomination is the one true church.
If I call myself anything or answer to another it would be as a disciple of Jesus the Jewish Messiah.

"CATHOLIC" is not a denomination. It is one of 4 divine attributes or qualities: One, Holy, Catholic (Universal) and Apostolic. The CC recognizes that some of these qualities exist in other churches. The CC is the one true Church, but not the only church with truths.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"CATHOLIC" is not a denomination. It is one of 4 divine attributes or qualities: One, Holy, Catholic (Universal) and Apostolic. The CC recognizes that some of these qualities exist in other churches. The CC is the one true Church, but not the only church with truths.

Rome was once part of it but not since 1054 AD...

Upvote 0