Finding answers in the Bible.

M

Maiden of Christ

Hi there. This is probably a silly question, but you know what they say - the only stupid question is one unasked.

I wonder if somebody can explain to me the phenomenon of finding answers to a question in the Bible. I'm assuming that we aren't supposed to read the entire Bible every single time we want advice from the Lord, as that would just be silly. I'm not sure I understand how people can find answers in the Bible, then. I understand the idea behind it perfectly well - don't get me wrong - I just don't understand how to do it with practicality in mind.

Is there some universal trick where the Bible miraculously falls open to the right verses, bibliomancy-style? Alternatively, is there some cheat sheet out there of verses and chapters to turn to when you need advice on things, that I've somehow missed out on? (I see the sticky in this thread category, but it seems very general and people seem to get advice out of the Bible for explicitly specific things.)

:wave:

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there. This is probably a silly question, but you know what they say - the only stupid question is one unasked.

I wonder if somebody can explain to me the phenomenon of finding answers to a question in the Bible. I'm assuming that we aren't supposed to read the entire Bible every single time we want advice from the Lord, as that would just be silly. I'm not sure I understand how people can find answers in the Bible, then. I understand the idea behind it perfectly well - don't get me wrong - I just don't understand how to do it with practicality in mind.

Is there some universal trick where the Bible miraculously falls open to the right verses, bibliomancy-style? Alternatively, is there some cheat sheet out there of verses and chapters to turn to when you need advice on things, that I've somehow missed out on? (I see the sticky in this thread category, but it seems very general and people seem to get advice out of the Bible for explicitly specific things.)

:wave:

When I have a question of God, I open the Bible randomly and read until the Holy Spirit enlightens me. This could take a few verses, or it could take a few chapters, but it doesn't take long. One person I assisted Jesus to exorcise of her demon said to me after accepting Jesus into her life that she "always knew how to read the Bible, just it wasn't the Bible she would read, it was horoscopes". So the answer is to read with sufficient faith that your worship of the Bible will facilitate the Holy Spirit to enlighten you through accepting what He says. I'm not sure if I've explained it very well, hopefully it will be clear that the Holy Spirit can speak to us every time we are prepared to hear Him. Take a look at this thread, which is discussing how we use context to listen to the spirits: http://www.christianforums.com/t7506423/

Remember what Jesus said about faith concerning the fig tree:
Matthew 21:21,22
21Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. 22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
It comes right down to having sufficient faith to believe you will find the answer, and without preconceptions which will prevent you from hearing what God says and instead to hear only what you want to hear.

Upvote 0

JasperJackson

Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I think "Bible roulette" is dangerous, as we could really take scripture out of context.

If we're meditating on God's word day and night whenever we have a question to ask God that we're seeking his guidance on then our minds will have been renewed so much that we'll instantly have the answer. Put in the hard yards and the pay-off will be there.

Study bibles will usually have lists of verses for certain topics too.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I wonder if somebody can explain to me the phenomenon of finding answers to a question in the Bible.
If you're talking about "Bible Roulette" or "Bible spin-the-verse", it's a form of superstitious luck-seeking.

People who listen to what the Bible has to say apply numerous comments from the Bible, a Biblical mindset, to problems the Bible actually describes in multiple ways. They've become wise from the wisdom the Bible communicates. Then they may apply the verses that are relevant, and conclude what God is saying about a narrower or more specific subject.

Upvote 0

wanelad

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,149.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are many free online Bible searches that can be done but my preference is Esword or The Word desk top bible software that can help with your searches Free Bible Software Recources & ReviewsThe great thing about these software programs is you can do a search or compare with a commentary and the most of it is free. Some of the add in's may incur a cost.

The other avenue is most bibles in the back have key word search, so in the back of the bible somewhere in alphabetical order you can look for key words and find where they are located in your Bible.

It is good to see you are keen to know Gods Word and by studying it more regulary you will enjoy a more rich and powerful life as a Christian

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are looking for advice on certain subjects, I just go to the search engine and put the question in. I always find something and then just study and read and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Just like today - we read about the 400 silent years - I knew nothing about that - so I went to Google and just put in '400 silent years' - up came a study from 1966 and was great information.

This is good to do if you are just studying - but if it is something that God is callling you to do or the Holy Spirit is leading you - just stick with praying, asking of God and reading what the Holy Spirit guides you.

That is a great way to study also - when you question something, just put it in the search engine and start studying - The Holy Spirit will guide you away from something that is on the wrong path. I study the Bible like that all the time. If I read something I don't understand - I just put it in the search engine - and you will have tons of information from which to choose from.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you're talking about "Bible Roulette" or "Bible spin-the-verse", it's a form of superstitious luck-seeking.

People who listen to what the Bible has to say apply numerous comments from the Bible, a Biblical mindset, to problems the Bible actually describes in multiple ways. They've become wise from the wisdom the Bible communicates. Then they may apply the verses that are relevant, and conclude what God is saying about a narrower or more specific subject.

Agree

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
...I wonder if somebody can explain to me the phenomenon of finding answers to a question in the Bible....
It was a way for me to be accountable to no authority but my own whims, while simultaneously having the illusion that I was submitting myself to God's will.

...I'm assuming that we aren't supposed to read the entire Bible every single time we want advice from the Lord, as that would just be silly. I'm not sure I understand how people can find answers in the Bible, then...
Easy - just read the bible until you find something that you can convince yourself says what you want to believe, and totally ignore those with legitimate teaching authority who say that you're deceiving yourself.

It's clear from scripture that Christ established that there are those to whom it is given to teach in his Church, and those to whom it is given to be taught. To submit to that legitimate authority only when you like what it teaches is to not submit at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was a way for me to be accountable to no authority but my own whims, while simultaneously having the illusion that I was submitting myself to God's will.

Easy - just read the bible until you find something that you can convince yourself says what you want to believe, and totally ignore those with legitimate teaching authority who say that you're deceiving yourself.

It's clear from scripture that Christ established that there are those to whom it is given to teach in his Church, and those to whom it is given to be taught. To submit to that legitimate authority only when you like what it teaches is to not submit at all.

This is very good advice, essentially when we read the Bible we are stimulated to expand our thinking, and by seeking with an open mind to learn more of the nature of God, this is how we can learn something new any time we open the book.

Of course as others have said that Bible roulette can be dangerous because of the tendency to take a passage out of it's intended context, it is vitally important not to take a verse and force an answer from it because in doing so we are doing exactly what chilehed said: attempting to find support for our preconceived ideas. Instead, if the meaning of a verse is not immediately clear, keep reading until the Holy Spirit lays upon our heart the enlightenment we require, and thereby allow the Holy Spirit to be the teacher.

It is always worthwhile stepping back to the beginning of the chapter and read past to the end of the chapter to help put the verse in context, but it is also worth mentioning that studying the depths of a passage can reveal more meaning than studying the breadth of it, and this is how teachers in a church are able take a short passage and inflate it into a sermon, by considering how a passage can be personally applicable to us.

Upvote 0