Finding a church near Boston

Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
MariaRegina did not mention anyone by name. So I don't know how that can be considered "gossiping". But if I were going to move to that part of California, you better believe, especially if I had a family, I'd want to know about that to protect my marriage and my children. I supposed you'd rather we'd put bags over our heads and hold hands and sing Kumbaya?

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Lenten Prayer of St. Ephrem
O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk.

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant.

Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes I just think people don't WANT to know what's going on at their parish or other ones. They just want to pretend the world is made of gummy bears, unicorns fly around, and everything is rainbows....

It's tempting to think that only the Anglicans and ELCA Lutherans have their nutjobs and ALL Orthodox clergy are incredible, impeccable, faithful stewards. Problem is, where humans are involved, t'ain't gonna happen, ever....

I had people privately in here and elsewhere warn me about my parish, about certain things. I ignored and brushed it off, and it turned out to be quite accurate.

We all struggle to avoid gossip and slander. I must say that my perception of Maria Regina's post is that she's NOT gossiping, but as others have said, she's just telling the truth about a parish, not individuals. She rarely elaborates on things and tries to keep things confidential or generalized to avoid scandal. And I will say this....I've been off the TAW posting scene for a while and have really had some dark struggles with my faith lately. No specifics. I had some very disappointing things happen at my parish and I'm not in a good place...my wife either, with regard to the spiritual life these days. Maria Regina has been the only person (along with Anhelyna, who is not Orthodox) who IM'd me and asked where I've been, if I'm ok, and has tried to talk to me. So I appreciate her a lot. She's not a gossip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In agreement with Gurney.

Gossip does usually identify the person/persons involved. Every parish , no matter the affiliation , has it's non-compliant person/s. The problem is how to handle them - and to me that is very much the prerogative of the Clergy. Now if the 'local level' clergy are involved, and are part of the problem, then you have to move it up the ladder.

Here no identification has been possible but at the same time is it really wise to say as much in the public forum ? PMs should be used for detail about perceived problems .

I'm involved with 2 parishes , and believe me they are very different, though of the same affiliation. Yet having said that I love both, but I'm not blind to the faults/problems I see in both. The problem is dealing with the perceived problems

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went to a Greek liturgy today. I was really surprised how DIFFERENT it is from my Serbian parish liturgy. Everything was 100 mph, no sermon at all, the whole thing DONE in 55 minutes! Lots of sitting, some kneeling, the wine looked like white wine, some things skipped. It was short! I felt like I was at a chanted Catholic Mass with incense! Even the icons looked Western! It was interesting. Nice priest though. I liked how they said the Our Father in different languages. But it was a no-nonsense, fast version of what I'm used to. By the time we got out of there, the only reason we were there for 1.5 hours was because they said some Church New Year prayers and prayers for the Syrian situation. It was fast!

In agreement with Gurney.

Gossip does usually identify the person/persons involved. Every parish , no matter the affiliation , has it's non-compliant person/s. The problem is how to handle them - and to me that is very much the prerogative of the Clergy. Now if the 'local level' clergy are involved, and are part of the problem, then you have to move it up the ladder.

Here no identification has been possible but at the same time is it really wise to say as much in the public forum ? PMs should be used for detail about perceived problems .

I'm involved with 2 parishes , and believe me they are very different, though of the same affiliation. Yet having said that I love both, but I'm not blind to the faults/problems I see in both. The problem is dealing with the perceived problems

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
HOW LONG ?? Gracious - I thought we were fast - about an hour with our old priest. Now it's about 90 mins.

Today in my other parish we were 2 hours - we had a Panachida as well [ that was simply beautiful ] The people there sing so beautifully and nothing is rushed - it's a joy.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I went to a Greek liturgy today. I was really surprised how DIFFERENT it is from my Serbian parish liturgy. Everything was 100 mph, no sermon at all, the whole thing DONE in 55 minutes! Lots of sitting, some kneeling, the wine looked like white wine, some things skipped. It was short! I felt like I was at a chanted Catholic Mass with incense! Even the icons looked Western! It was interesting. Nice priest though. I liked how they said the Our Father in different languages. But it was a no-nonsense, fast version of what I'm used to. By the time we got out of there, the only reason we were there for 1.5 hours was because they said some Church New Year prayers and prayers for the Syrian situation. It was fast!

hahaha, Fr Eric Tosi could finish the Liturgy, all in English and skipping nothing to include the sermon, have been finished in 55 minutes.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my Serbian parish, NOTHING is rushed, I mean NOTHING. If you are done in 1:30, that is ULTRA-SHORT for that place. It's usually 1:45-2:00 by the time all is said and done. The Greek liturgy was done in :55, then they threw in some extra prayers and that added another 10 minutes tops. Liturgy started at 9:30, we were on the road to go grocery shopping at Whole Foods at 11am on the dot!

HOW LONG ?? Gracious - I thought we were fast - about an hour with our old priest. Now it's about 90 mins.

Today in my other parish we were 2 hours - we had a Panachida as well [ that was simply beautiful ] The people there sing so beautifully and nothing is rushed - it's a joy.

Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello old friends,

I'm not here much these days though I lurk now and again. I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me with finding a parish near Boston that might work for my son. He's starting college next week and will need to get to church on Sundays without a car. He can get a shuttle back to campus on Sunday afternoons. Does anyone know of a parish that is welcoming (especially of students) and may have parishioners willing to give rides?

We went to vigil at Holy Trinity Cathedral which was very nice. The priest said that we could talk tomorrow about possible transportation. It will be a lot harder to leave my son here without a plan for church at least on Sundays.

Thanks for any help!
M.

Why not contact the Orthodox Christian fellowship in the Boston area? It's a group of orthodox college students that meet regularly to play, eat, fellowship, etc.. They may have some idea's about where to go.

Orthodox Christian Fellowship

When I went to college in Boston, St Mary's Orthodox Church in Cambridge was kind of where all the college kids attended. But that was 20 years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I went to college in Boston, St Mary's Orthodox Church in Cambridge was kind of where all the college kids attended. But that was 20 years ago.

Fr Antony Hughes parish, a pretty solid and growing one as well I believe.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In my Serbian parish, NOTHING is rushed, I mean NOTHING. If you are done in 1:30, that is ULTRA-SHORT for that place. It's usually 1:45-2:00 by the time all is said and done. The Greek liturgy was done in :55, then they threw in some extra prayers and that added another 10 minutes tops. Liturgy started at 9:30, we were on the road to go grocery shopping at Whole Foods at 11am on the dot!

?? I thought, generally speaking, Orthodox liturgies were around an hour and a half. At my church in CO Springs, it started at 10 and ended at 11:30. Here at the chapel it's a bit longer, closer to two hours cause of the service being half in English and half in Greek. I do know that Russian services can be very long.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Are you sure there was no homily? Every liturgy has a homily whether 5 mins or 20 mins. If it's not after the Gospel reading, it would be done after the liturgy.

Upvote 0