• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Finding a church near Boston

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Monica child of God 1, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Monica child of God 1

Monica child of God 1 strives to live eschatologically

+670
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Hello old friends,

I'm not here much these days though I lurk now and again. I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me with finding a parish near Boston that might work for my son. He's starting college next week and will need to get to church on Sundays without a car. He can get a shuttle back to campus on Sunday afternoons. Does anyone know of a parish that is welcoming (especially of students) and may have parishioners willing to give rides?

We went to vigil at Holy Trinity Cathedral which was very nice. The priest said that we could talk tomorrow about possible transportation. It will be a lot harder to leave my son here without a plan for church at least on Sundays.

Thanks for any help!
    M.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,475
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    well, it's awesome that you had a great time at the cathedral, but if he can make it to Allston, I recommend here: Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church - Allston, MA | Home

both priests, Frs Patrick Tischel and Michael Kon are amazing, the parish is very warm and friendly, is active in the Gordon College OCF, and has an open mic night on weekends regularly.

3. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+2,325
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Divorced
    US-Others
    Where will your son be going to school? What part of Boston?

4. Monica child of God 1

+670
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    He's going to Curry College in Milton.

M.

5. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,932
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  6. Monica child of God 1

+670
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thanks. Do you know this church GreekOrthodox? Have you visited?

M.

7. GreekOrthodox

+2,932
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I visited once and found it pretty nice. It is a fairly new church, built a few years ago.

8. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,615
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I have a friend who goes to Holy Resurrection. She highly recommends it.

9. ArmyMatt

+16,475
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    cool, I have been there a few times and it was great when I went. it is also a pretty holy place, with 6 icons that stream oil or myrrh or did at some point.

10. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Don't go to the OCA cathedral in Boston, they have members there who openly support the heresy of sexual immorality.

11. GreekOrthodox

+2,932
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Well, that escalated quickly...

12. MariaRegina

MariaRegina Well-Known Member

+12,120
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I experienced that in an OCA parish in California too.
    What would one expect in California: the land of the fruits, flakes, nuts, and flower children?
    Is the East Coast any better?

Wish we had St. Paul around.

Come Lord Jesus.

13. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,615
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I heard that GOA and the Antiochians have sinners as well, possibly the Serbs, too.

14. MariaRegina

+12,120
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    And some of the ROCOR members like to boast that they are the worst of sinners.

We are in good company.

At least we do not boast as Luther did and advocate that one should sin boldly.
    Instead, we advocate a mighty struggle against sin, and encourage people to struggle until they die.

I think that any Orthodox Christian Church in Boston would be good except HOCNA parishes.
    They are promoting a Name-Worshipping Heresy and strange teachings such as Awake Sleepers.
    HOCNA is the schismatic church that broke from ROCOR when questions arose concerning their Elder Panteleimon.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  15. ArmyMatt

+16,475
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    really??!!!! what about those Bulgarians or Romanians?

16. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    being a sinner and trying to repent, not the same thing as openly teaching that the church should change her teachings on sexual immorality

17. katherine2001

katherine2001 Veteran

+965
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    With all due respect, in the prayer before the Eucharist, we say that we are the worst of sinners. Evidently, we don't truly mean that, or we wouldn't say not to attend a parish because there are people who openly condone sexual immorality. After all, our sins are nowhere near as bad as some other people's sins. However, all sin will eventually lead to our destruction. If you don't attend a parish where there is sinners, where can you attend church. After all, all churches are full of sinners.

18. GreekOrthodox

+2,932
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    What is it that the OCA Cathedral is teaching? You painted them with a very broad brush with no explaination.
    Brian

19. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    @GreekOrthodox,
    may I pm you to answer your question?

I know its tempting, but we musn't conflate being discerning with being judgmental. Aknowledging one is a sinner but, is still attempting to obey the commandents of Christ and follow the teachings of the Church however imperfectly, is not the same thing as recognizing heresy and staying away from it.

20. MariaRegina

+12,120
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Dear Katherine,

In the OCA parish I was in, the Warden and Parish Council President (the same person) openly advocated that homosexuality was okay. He said that he hoped that his daughters would marry good lesbians because all the guys he had met were wimps.

That parish was so sick that half the parish left, including us and the pastor. This became necessary when two of the women had the hots for my husband. They fought over him! There were not too many men in that parish, and the ones left were already married, or plain weird.

Sometimes for one's spiritual health and to save one's marriage, it is absolutely necessary to change parishes.This is called discernment.

In Christ,
    Maria