✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Transcript

After the usual grievances and falsehoods about the election (e.g. "If we allow this group of people to illegally take over our country because it's illegal when the votes are illegal when the way they got there is illegal."):

But I said something's wrong here, something is really wrong, can have happened. And we fight. We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore. Our exciting adventures and boldest endeavors have not yet begun. My fellow Americans, for our movement, for our children, and for our beloved country, and I say this despite all that's happened, the best is yet to come.

So we're going to -- we're going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I love Pennsylvania Avenue. And we're going to the Capitol, and we're going to try and give -- the Democrats are hopeless, they never voted for anything. Not even one vote. But we're going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones because the strong ones don't need any of our help.

We're going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country. So let's walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God Bless America. Thank you all for being here. This is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you.

(my emphasis)

Last edited:

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I not sure he directly incited a riot right then in a legally liable way. He's walking right up to that line but perhaps not crossing it.

But I absolutely do hold Trump responsible for the ongoing avalanche of "stop the steal" lies that led to the events at the capitol.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I not sure he directly incited a riot right then in a legally liable way. He's walking right up to that line but perhaps not crossing it.

But I absolutely do hold Trump responsible for the ongoing avalanche of "stop the steal" lies that led to the events at the capitol.

That is probably a correct conclusion based on Brandenburg and Hess’ Incitement Test. Incitement is a high burden and intentionally so, the courts do not want to stifle free speech or rallies, including those where the speaker is a fire breather.

He flirts very close to the line, but it is difficult to conclude legally he crossed the line.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That is probably a correct conclusion based on Brandenburg and Hess’ Incitement Test. Incitement is a high burden and intentionally so, the courts do not want to stifle free speech or rallies, including those where the speaker is a fire breather.

He flirts very close to the line, but it is difficult to conclude legally he crossed the line.
"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"--Henry II

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Crime bosses use this tactic to insulate themselves from accountability. Dictators do that as well.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Crime bosses use this tactic to insulate themselves from accountability. Dictators do that as well.

I do not disagree, but it is also exactly why meeting the incitement test is difficult on the basis of what he said.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"--Henry II

But even such a statement, without more, would not satisfy the incitement test of Brandenburg and Hess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, I will say this is a remarkably, fantastic opportunity to impeach, convict, remove, and prohibit Trump from ever holding any federal office again.

Send a clear message, any elected leader who invites a mob to D.C. and coaxes them to behave illegally, will be deposed.

And prosecute those who breached the Capitol building, and those who damaged the property. Hit them hard. Prison time, as much as the law will allow.

The message must be clear, anyone who engages in the conduct of those who breached the Capitol building will get hammered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Impeachment is quite a gift to Trump and Republicans. It offers them a way to get their minds off what they just caused and back on opposing the Democrats. The Senate probably won't have time to confirm it, so it'll have no practical benefit, but if they do confirm it it'll save the party from Trump destroying it in 2024.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
However, I will say this is a remarkably, fantastic opportunity to impeach, convict, remove, and prohibit Trump from ever holding any federal office again.

Send a clear message, any elected leader who invites a mob to D.C. and coaxes them to behave illegally, will be deposed.
This kinda tells me the current crop of GOP leadership will never go for it.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Impeachment is quite a gift to Trump and Republicans. It offers them a way to get their minds off what they just caused and back on opposing the Democrats. The Senate probably won't have time to confirm it, so it'll have no practical benefit, but if they do confirm it it'll save the party from Trump destroying it in 2024.

There is a practical benefit for a Senate trial and conviction, although this may not transpired until after he is no longer president. The practical benefit is upon conviction the Senate can forever preclude Trump from ever holding a federal office again.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a practical benefit for a Senate trial and conviction, although this may not transpired until after he is no longer president. The practical benefit is upon conviction the Senate can forever preclude Trump from ever holding a federal office again.
Poor Florida.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Waterbuffalo dude came (he says) at the request of the president.

ErTjdfrXYAAf7ed

• Informative
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0