Man of the Word
Feb 24, 2002
Visit site
✟149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I entered the upper room I could feel a sense of something peaceful and different. I walked in holding the bread in my hand and the wine was carried by my friend behind me. That is when I locked eyes with Jesus for the first time. For only a moment He looked at me and smiled. He thanked me for the bread and then all I could do was turn and slowly walk out. I heard His words, “This is my body which I have given for you, do this in memory of me.” I joined my friend in the room outside the place were Jesus was and he looked at me with a smile. “Did you see Him?” My friend asked me as if I hadn’t been paying attention to who I was serving. I answered, still seeing those eyes. “Yes. It was as if I were the only person there. And He was looking right into my soul.”
“He has that affect on people.” My friend smiled at me glad I got the chance to look into Jesus’ eyes. Dear sister there was something warm, something convicting there. I still cannot comprehend the overwhelming feeling.
Well it was a little while after this that I heard the door of the room open and slam shut. Judas, the one I saw in fellowship with the chief priests, passed me without so much as glance. Something seemed to be wrong so I inquired my friend of the matter. He excused it to be Judas was probably just getting some more things for the meal. I could tell in his voice, that he wasn’t sure he believed himself. Soon I would see where Judas really went.
Much later into the night Jesus and His disciples left the room and headed out of the city across the Kidron Valley. I followed at a distance curious as to what they would be doing next. They arrived in a beautiful garden called Gethsemane. There were enough trees for me to hide behind and escape notice. Little did I know, I wasn’t the only one looking for them that night.
Jesus took three of his disciples and walked a little further. Then he seemed to tell them to keep watch as He went to a rock near by. I didn’t dare make a move so as to not disturb Jesus. No one noticed me. I watched as Jesus cast Himself to the rock and it looked like he was in agony. For some reason I was able to catch something He said in the night air. “Father, if it is your will take this cup from me. Not my will Father, but your will be done.” That single sentence gave me a lot to ponder sitting in the darkness of the garden.
Jesus got up and walked over to His sleeping disciples. “Could you not watch with me this hour. Arise and be ready, the Son of Man will be handed over to sinners. Look, even now comes my betrayer.
In the upper room Jesus had predicted a betrayer. Now I realized the meaning of Judas’ mysterious behavior. For he came walking up to Jesus with a band of Roman soldiers and officials from the Temple, ready to take captive any man in their way. Blood coursed through my veins and anger arouse within. Dear sister I watched as a small band of peaceful men were surrounded by the “government”.
Torches. Lanterns. Weapons. I could see it all before my eyes. Had I a weapon I would have been tempted to fight. “Judas do you betray the Son of Man with a kiss.” I heard Jesus’ voice full of sorrow and determination. Then Jesus took control by asking who they were looking for. “Jesus of Nazareth!” they snarled at Him. The soldiers fell backward when Jesus answered by telling them He was the One they were looking for. He then told the commander to let the disciples go free. What courage in the way Jesus acted. Standing in the face of disaster He never lost His calmness.
In what seemed like a moment I saw one of the disciples, Peter, take a sword from his belt and cut off one of an ear from one of the temple servants. Jesus commanded Peter to put his sword away and then healed the ear. It was startling to me as well when the man whose ear was suddenly back on his head.
“Am I leading a rebellion that you come at me with clubs?” Jesus confronted the mob of bloodthirsty men. “Everyday I was in the Temple and you didn’t touch me. But now is the hour that darkness reigns.” Jesus was bound and the disciples fled in all directions. I watched as the line of torches left the garden and headed toward the city.
I followed after them at a distance.

Dear sister I followed the men who had taken Jesus captive to a government home. The home was that of Annas, the ex-high priest. Because I was not of rank I was not allowed into the courtyard. I waited outside hoping to have the chance to go in.
After a while I saw soldiers dragging Jesus out of the door and down the street toward the High Priest, Caiaphas’ house. On Jesus’ cheek I saw a trace of blood as they led Him away. This time I followed behind pretending to be a servant. I was lost in the group of other servants and was able to reach the court yard.
The cool of the early morning air was beginning to get to me and I walked toward the fire. I watched as I saw Peter come into the court and sit down by the fire. A servant girl innocently asked if he was one of the disciples of Jesus. What he said in response caught me off guard. “Woman, I don’t know Him.” How could Peter, one of the closest be so bold in the garden and turn into a sheep now. Did he just now see the seriousness of this time? I found out later from Peter that this was the second time he denied Jesus. And it was a short while after that He denied Jesus again. What was more amazing was that Jesus predicted that night that Peter would deny Him three times before the rooster crowed. It happened just like that.
When I head the rooster I looked and saw they had dragged Jesus out into the court and were beating Him. I saw His gaze at Peter with a haunting sadness. Peter left out into the alley wailing. The guards continued to insult Jesus and mock Him while I was unable to do anything. What could I do? Take on the entire gang of soldiers and risk my life for this Jesus? Jesus did not cry out or beg for mercy, He took it all. I could not figure out why.
Early in the morning the Jews led Jesus before Pilate, the Roman governor. Because of their rules on being clean, Pilate came out to meet them and discuss what to do with Jesus. This helped me to see things better then from the vantage point of the outside courtyard. From there I was among a crowd of many other men who were all interested in this trial.
Pilate questioned the Jews on what charges they brought him Jesus. They said Jesus was subverting the nation and claming to be Messiah, a king. Jesus claimed to be God. Pilate tried to backhand Jesus to them by telling them to judge Him themselves. But Rome took away the right for Jews to kill anyone. Pilate pulled Jesus into the palace and went face to face with Him. Pilate told Jesus the charges against Him, but Jesus said not a word to His defense. Pilate sent Jesus to King Herod, who sent Him back to Pilate. Meanwhile I waited with the crowd anxious to see what would happen.