Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you feel about them?

I have watched a few, though sometimes the written Scripture is is easier to digest.

Take the torture and crucifixion scenes, for example. I often feel like rushing through the screen to be a shield between Jesus and His torturers to take the hits instead because I don't really bear seeing Him like it. Even if I know that's not the real Jesus on the screen, but just a window or a mirror.

G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I think film is an important medium and cannot be ignored by Christians simply because it is the most pervasive media in our culture. Unfortunately most (not all) Christians films have been absolutely terrible, both in terms of quality and in rounded presentations of Christianity. Jesus films have generally been slightly better (The Passion of the Christ, The Nativity Story, Jesus of Nazareth), but there's a whole lot of work yet to do.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've got no problem with films portraying Jesus as long as one realizes it's a human attempt, and therefore imperfect. I enjoyed Son of God.

I also enjoyed Zefferelli's Jesus of Nazareth. The fact that Jesus had blue eyes didn't bother me. I thought it silly that's what people were complaining about. It all depends on intent. What message are you trying to send? If you're trying to make it "historical", then blue eyes are a bad idea. Otherwise, Jesus can be black, Asian, or whatever.

I enjoyed Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar. Those are definitely not historical portrayls. They're artistic presentations of an idea such as, "What did Judas think about Jesus?" As long as one knows what they're after, it can be enjoyable.

With respect to Jesus (which aired on NBC in 1999), I thought the crucifixion scene was brilliant, but the rest of the movie was garbage.

I didn't like the ideas behind The Passion of the Christ or The Last Temptation of Christ ... so much so that I didn't watch them. Passion had so much gore that it became about the gore rather than the redemptive work of Christ. The Temptation had an interesting idea, but it turned into a gossip column - did Jesus get married or didn't he?

And by the time you get to Life of Brian, it's so offensive I wouldn't object to burning every copy of it.

That's my spectrum. I imagine others use a different threshold.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
The Gospel according o Matthew of Pier-Paolo Pasolini is in a class of its own. Anything but chocolate-box treatment of the Gospel.

Pasolini, a homosexual, was said to have been murdered by a homosexual lover, but others have claimed it to be a lie, stating, instead, that that accusation was trumped up by far right-wing enemies.

He wouldn't be the first to have been murderd by a homosexual lover, Joe Orton, the English play-write, for one, springing to mind. But, for some reason, I'm inclined to believe the second scenario. But whatever the case, It's a master-piece. I believe I read some months ago that Francis had been watching it. Probably not for the first time.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

The Gospel according o Matthew of Pier-Paolo Pasolini is in a class of its own. Anything but chocolate-box treatment of the Gospel.

Pasolini, a homosexual, was said to have been murdered by a homosexual lover, but others have claimed it to be a lie, stating, instead, that that accusation was trumped up by far right-wing enemies.

He wouldn't be the first to have been murderd by a homosexual lover, Joe Orton, the English play-write, for one, springing to mind. But, for some reason, I'm inclined to believe the second scenario. But whatever the case, It's a master-piece. I believe I read some months ago that Francis had been watching it. Probably not for the first time.

I really want to see Pasolini's Matthew but can't find it anywhere. I also haven't ever seen The Last Temptation of Christ, but for that I want to read the book first.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No movie does the book it is based upon any justice. Every movie based upon a book should more accurately say, "loosely based and artistically altered"

I am still trying to figure out those dumb rock angels from the Noah movie.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am still trying to figure out those dumb rock angels from the Noah movie.

I skipped Noah (and I plan on skipping Exodus.) So, I can't say from first-hand knowledge, but maybe the rock angels were inspired by the weeping angels from Dr. Who. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums