United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
arnegrim said:
Do you honestly believe that the head of the CIA should be 'fluent' on all cultures? Or do you think that he would make sure that those people who ARE fluent... are reporting to him.
You make a good point. But I still think that the head of the CIA should at least have a basic knowledge of cultures that are most threatening to us like the Middle Eastern ones.

Upvote 0

Travis

Jul 6, 2004
Akron, Ohio
✟8,413.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Gunny said:
I don't think moore could utilize his fingers for it appears his quest to be a lying FAT MAN require his chubby fat hands for the constant partaking of food items.

MOORE=HOLLYWOOD POSTER CHILD

You have not addressed the fact that Moore did not just make this up. There is video footage of Goss himself stating that he is not qualified.

Upvote 0

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Holly3278 said:
You make a good point. But I still think that the head of the CIA should at least have a basic knowledge of cultures that are most threatening to us like the Middle Eastern ones.
How do you know he does not have a basic knowledge? Do you have a basic knowledge?

Upvote 0

arnegrim

Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Voter said:
Because he said so?

I don't have the cultural background, probably.
(From movie linked in second post, and transcript linked in first post.
What was he meaning when he said 'cultural background'? Was he speaking of Arab cultures in general... Islamic culture... dictatorships...? And what did he mean by 'probably'? Are there 'pre-requisites' that are required? A certain number of units? Real-life experience?

Upvote 0

Chilufya

Jul 29, 2004
Miami (Cutler Ridge), FL
✟7,976.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
CRitabe said:
I agree, he might not be doing any undercover work in Arab countries in the position as Director, but I do not believe that we need anyone in any Intel position right now that does not understand the Arab culture. That is one of our big issues right now - Crusades??? Remember??
That's why you have problems in the intel community NOW. All the holdovers from the cold war who only thought about big bad IVAN first last and always. Making the Arab world into the new Big Bad Bolshevik is not the way to go. Better someone with a broad overview of the entire world's problems.

Just as an aside, people had better start looking at sub-Saharan Africa. I can tell you that it is a subject of small emphasis in the intel world, and within the next 15 years that neglect is going to bite us in the bum.

And what makes you think you have to speak Arabic to understand Arab culture? They speak Farsi over that way too, and the two are NOT the same.

Upvote 0
C

CRitabe

And what makes you think you have to speak Arabic to understand Arab culture? They speak Farsi over that way too, and the two are NOT the same

I did not say that a Director necessarily needed to speak the language, only understand the Arab culture and Islam. That is very important for the reasons that are going on in Iraq right now - it is not a political issue - it is a religious issue.

If one is going to choose to blast a country to smitherines, it is just logical, it seems to me, that one has to understand that you are going to have to deal with the aftermath of the many religious sects in a country where the religion is the political system. How can there be a chance in heck to have an effective intelligence operation (human intelligence especially) if there is not an understanding of the culture and their modus operandi?

Upvote 0

Chilufya

Jul 29, 2004
Miami (Cutler Ridge), FL
✟7,976.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
CRitabe said:

I did not say that a Director necessarily needed to speak the language, only understand the Arab culture and Islam. That is very important for the reasons that are going on in Iraq right now - it is not a political issue - it is a religious issue.

If one is going to choose to blast a country to smitherines, it is just logical, it seems to me, that one has to understand that you are going to have to deal with the aftermath of the many religious sects in a country where the religion is the political system. How can there be a chance in heck to have an effective intelligence operation (human intelligence especially) if there is not an understanding of the culture and their modus operandi?
I absolutely agree that you have to have people that understand a country's particular culture to run a HUMINT operation.

That person does NOT have to be the director though. It SHOULDN'T be the director.

Jeff

Reactions: PatrickM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

CRitabe

absolutely agree that you have to have people that understand a country's particular culture to run a HUMINT operation.

That person does NOT have to be the director though. It SHOULDN'T be the director.
I thought CI/HUMINT was a part of DOD, not the CIA. Even though I know they work together, isn't the HUMINT basically a part of Intel that works for troop protection, training, etc.........?

I still contend that whoever we have as the Director of the CIA needs to have knowledge of the cultural system of particular Middle Easterners at this time in the history of our country with all the issues we are having with Iran having nuclear capability to attack Israel now, the quagmire that we are undoubtedly going to have in Iraq, etc.... This is one of the biggest reasons that George Tenet recently resigned - due to the pressure from the 911 commission for breakdown in the failure to "imagine" and an accurate risk assessment by the CIA from the ground in Iraq. My thoughts.

Upvote 0

arnegrim

Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's funny seeing as how Tenet was supposedly the expert on that area of the world.

Again... the Director does not need to be an expert in these areas... he DOES need to put these experts in charge and make them answerable to him. His job it to take the intel and recommendations of the experts and make the best decisions.

Upvote 0

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's like the CEO of XYZ Corp. Most CEO's don't have a detailed knowledge of their company. That's they're managers. As a matter of fact, notice how CEO's switch from one company to another. They have expertise in managing, and leave the details to the experts in their respective fields. No one can be expert in everything.

As for at least a working knowledge, again, that would be the responsibility of those on the ground. The Director, by it's very definition, is to direct ops, not actually do them.

Upvote 0

PrNcSsChRmNg91

Democratic Leo
Jan 19, 2004
New York
✟1,170.00
Faith
Catholic
gunny said:
I don't think moore could utilize his fingers for it appears his quest to be a lying FAT MAN require his chubby fat hands for the constant partaking of food items.

MOORE=HOLLYWOOD POSTER CHILD

Why are you emphasizing on Moore being fat?

Arnegrim - If Goss was a democrat, would you still say the same things you're saying now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarSong

Remember Hiroshima? REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
PrNcSsChRmNg91 said:
Why are you emphasizing on Moore being fat?

Arnegrim - If Goss was a democrat, would you still say the same things you're saying now?

Because not only is Moore dispicable (sp?) morally, spiritually and theologically, but physically as well.

Nothing about Moore is to be admired. The very people he works with don't like him as his tantrums are legendary.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WarSong said:
Because not only is Moore dispicable (sp?) morally, spiritually and theologically, but physically as well.

Nothing about Moore is to be admired. The very people he works with don't like him as his tantrums are legendary.
You could not be "moore" wrong. Did you see Roger and Me? That film gave a voice to hundreds of thousands of us living in the rust belt watching our jobs go south. Whole communities collapsed and we felt powerless. He gave us a voice. That is to be admired. In fact, I would call his act of standing up for the poor and downtrodden moral. Certainly more moral than the fusion of fundamentalism with supply-side economics that passes for Christian thought these days.

Moore wants the US to be better than it is. He is a patriot who believes we are heading in the wrong direction. And many people feel the way I do.

Upvote 0

WarSong

Remember Hiroshima? REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Grizzly said:
You could not be "moore" wrong. Did you see Roger and Me? That film gave a voice to hundreds of thousands of us living in the rust belt watching our jobs go south. Whole communities collapsed and we felt powerless. He gave us a voice. That is to be admired. In fact, I would call his act of standing up for the poor and downtrodden moral. Certainly more moral than the fusion of fundamentalism with supply-side economics that passes for Christian thought these days.

Moore wants the US to be better than it is. He is a patriot who believes we are heading in the wrong direction. And many people feel the way I do.

Is this the same Moore that claims to be from Flint when he was born, raised, lived, and went to high school at Davidson?

But it's ok for a person to lie, as long as they're Liberal, correct?

Moore is a loser. He was back then, he is now. His only talent is lying and misdirection, and his only claim to fame is having the Left greedily suck up anything anti-Bush, whether it's right or wrong.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WarSong said:
Is this the same Moore that claims to be from Flint when he was born, raised, lived, and went to high school at Davidson?
He was at Davison, not Davidson. And so what. I tell people I'm from Cleveland OH, but I am really from a town called Brook Park. Does that make me a liar? Not really. People identify with the biggest town they are around. No one ever heard of Davison, MI, so he probably says he is from Flint (Davison is in the Flint Metro area).

But it's ok for a person to lie, as long as they're Liberal, correct?
I'm not sure how this sentence is anything but baiting. I could counter with numerous conservative lies, but what would be the point, other than to "take the bait".

Moore is a loser. He was back then, he is now. His only talent is lying and misdirection, and his only claim to fame is having the Left greedily suck up anything anti-Bush, whether it's right or wrong.
That is sad that you believe that.

Upvote 0

arnegrim

Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PrNcSsChRmNg91 said:
Yes... because honestly... I didn't know what party he was in until I read this post. We need people who can DO THE JOB... regardless of political lines.

Upvote 0