• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Filmmaker Moore Quotes Goss on Lack of CIA Credentials

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Grizzly, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Ave Maria

Ave Maria Ave Maria Gratia Plena

+1,544
    United States
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    You make a good point. But I still think that the head of the CIA should at least have a basic knowledge of cultures that are most threatening to us like the Middle Eastern ones.

2. Travis

Travis Well-Known Member

+45
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    You have not addressed the fact that Moore did not just make this up. There is video footage of Goss himself stating that he is not qualified.

3. arnegrim

arnegrim ...still not convinced it was the wrong one.

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    How do you know he does not have a basic knowledge? Do you have a basic knowledge?

4. Voter

Voter Well-Known Member

+71
    Protestant
    Because he said so?

(From movie linked in second post, and transcript linked in first post.

5. soulbrother-NO.1

soulbrother-NO.1 Member

+7
    Atheist
    If that is true, why would he be the head of the most important agency in the country? The agency were "mum" is the word! Not even I would have made a comment like that and i'm just a soulbrotha!

6. arnegrim

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    What was he meaning when he said 'cultural background'? Was he speaking of Arab cultures in general... Islamic culture... dictatorships...? And what did he mean by 'probably'? Are there 'pre-requisites' that are required? A certain number of units? Real-life experience?

7. Chilufya

Chilufya Regular Member

+16
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    That's why you have problems in the intel community NOW. All the holdovers from the cold war who only thought about big bad IVAN first last and always. Making the Arab world into the new Big Bad Bolshevik is not the way to go. Better someone with a broad overview of the entire world's problems.

Just as an aside, people had better start looking at sub-Saharan Africa. I can tell you that it is a subject of small emphasis in the intel world, and within the next 15 years that neglect is going to bite us in the bum.

And what makes you think you have to speak Arabic to understand Arab culture? They speak Farsi over that way too, and the two are NOT the same.

8. CRitabe

CRitabe Guest

+0

I did not say that a Director necessarily needed to speak the language, only understand the Arab culture and Islam. That is very important for the reasons that are going on in Iraq right now - it is not a political issue - it is a religious issue.

If one is going to choose to blast a country to smitherines, it is just logical, it seems to me, that one has to understand that you are going to have to deal with the aftermath of the many religious sects in a country where the religion is the political system. How can there be a chance in heck to have an effective intelligence operation (human intelligence especially) if there is not an understanding of the culture and their modus operandi?

9. Chilufya

Chilufya Regular Member

+16
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I absolutely agree that you have to have people that understand a country's particular culture to run a HUMINT operation.

That person does NOT have to be the director though. It SHOULDN'T be the director.

Jeff

10. Teh Wiccan

Teh Wiccan The Balance Of Passion

+12
    Pagan
    I recall something on the news about it being a "controversial" decision, but I never expected this.

11. CRitabe

CRitabe Guest

+0
    I thought CI/HUMINT was a part of DOD, not the CIA. Even though I know they work together, isn't the HUMINT basically a part of Intel that works for troop protection, training, etc.........?

I still contend that whoever we have as the Director of the CIA needs to have knowledge of the cultural system of particular Middle Easterners at this time in the history of our country with all the issues we are having with Iran having nuclear capability to attack Israel now, the quagmire that we are undoubtedly going to have in Iraq, etc.... This is one of the biggest reasons that George Tenet recently resigned - due to the pressure from the 911 commission for breakdown in the failure to "imagine" and an accurate risk assessment by the CIA from the ground in Iraq. My thoughts.

12. arnegrim

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    That's funny seeing as how Tenet was supposedly the expert on that area of the world.

Again... the Director does not need to be an expert in these areas... he DOES need to put these experts in charge and make them answerable to him. His job it to take the intel and recommendations of the experts and make the best decisions.

13. PatrickM

PatrickM What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????

+83
    Non-Denom
    It's like the CEO of XYZ Corp. Most CEO's don't have a detailed knowledge of their company. That's they're managers. As a matter of fact, notice how CEO's switch from one company to another. They have expertise in managing, and leave the details to the experts in their respective fields. No one can be expert in everything.

As for at least a working knowledge, again, that would be the responsibility of those on the ground. The Director, by it's very definition, is to direct ops, not actually do them.

14. CRitabe

CRitabe Guest

+0
    With the massive intel failures re the Iraq invasion - someone had to fall.

15. PrNcSsChRmNg91

PrNcSsChRmNg91 Democratic Leo

+40
    Catholic
    Why are you emphasizing on Moore being fat?

Arnegrim - If Goss was a democrat, would you still say the same things you're saying now?

16. WarSong

WarSong Remember Hiroshima? REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!

+125
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Because not only is Moore dispicable (sp?) morally, spiritually and theologically, but physically as well.

Nothing about Moore is to be admired. The very people he works with don't like him as his tantrums are legendary.

17. Grizzly

Grizzly Enemy of Christmas Supporter

+1,610
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    You could not be "moore" wrong. Did you see Roger and Me? That film gave a voice to hundreds of thousands of us living in the rust belt watching our jobs go south. Whole communities collapsed and we felt powerless. He gave us a voice. That is to be admired. In fact, I would call his act of standing up for the poor and downtrodden moral. Certainly more moral than the fusion of fundamentalism with supply-side economics that passes for Christian thought these days.

Moore wants the US to be better than it is. He is a patriot who believes we are heading in the wrong direction. And many people feel the way I do.

18. WarSong

WarSong Remember Hiroshima? REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR!

+125
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Is this the same Moore that claims to be from Flint when he was born, raised, lived, and went to high school at Davidson?

But it's ok for a person to lie, as long as they're Liberal, correct?

Moore is a loser. He was back then, he is now. His only talent is lying and misdirection, and his only claim to fame is having the Left greedily suck up anything anti-Bush, whether it's right or wrong.

19. Grizzly

Grizzly Enemy of Christmas Supporter

+1,610
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    He was at Davison, not Davidson. And so what. I tell people I'm from Cleveland OH, but I am really from a town called Brook Park. Does that make me a liar? Not really. People identify with the biggest town they are around. No one ever heard of Davison, MI, so he probably says he is from Flint (Davison is in the Flint Metro area).

I'm not sure how this sentence is anything but baiting. I could counter with numerous conservative lies, but what would be the point, other than to "take the bait".

That is sad that you believe that.

20. arnegrim

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes... because honestly... I didn't know what party he was in until I read this post. We need people who can DO THE JOB... regardless of political lines.