Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After the most destructive cyclone in Fijian history smashed into the island four years ago, it was feared the rich coral reefs surrounding the island would never recover.

Reefs across the Namena Reserve and Vatu-i-Ra Conservation Park were devastated by Cyclone Winston in 2016—which hurtled over ocean and land with 170 mph (280 kph) winds—but a recent dive expedition by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) revealed there’s nothing to fear, and the corals are reproducing at an exceptional rate.

WCS Fiji-chapter expedition leader Dr. Sangeeta Mangubhai said in a statement: “We saw large areas of reef covered by branching corals all roughly the same size and likely to be around four years in age. These new corals are covering surfaces and are providing new habitat for fish.”

Continued below.
Fiji's Corals Are Bouncing Back After Being Reduced to Rubble in Historic Storm

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
After the most destructive cyclone in Fijian history smashed into the island four years ago, it was feared the rich coral reefs surrounding the island would never recover.

Reefs across the Namena Reserve and Vatu-i-Ra Conservation Park were devastated by Cyclone Winston in 2016—which hurtled over ocean and land with 170 mph (280 kph) winds—but a recent dive expedition by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) revealed there’s nothing to fear, and the corals are reproducing at an exceptional rate.

WCS Fiji-chapter expedition leader Dr. Sangeeta Mangubhai said in a statement: “We saw large areas of reef covered by branching corals all roughly the same size and likely to be around four years in age. These new corals are covering surfaces and are providing new habitat for fish.”

Continued below.
Fiji's Corals Are Bouncing Back After Being Reduced to Rubble in Historic Storm
I know reefs are different from prairies but I found hope in this too: Essentially Fertile: Notes Toward a Land Ethic | Jacquelyn Lee

I see my eldest grandaughter soaking up the environmental doom and gloom offered up by her public school and I gently remind my daughter that we never ever sent her to the government schools. It's not just doom and gloom. There is a lot of hope out there too.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0