Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My youngest son has developmental delays due to a life threating episode that occured when he was just 1 month old. Anyway, he's 7 years old now and has made tremendous strides. He went to an adaptive preschool then entered a Life Skills program in Kindergarten. Now the problem is, I can't get him out of the Life Skills class! URGH While he still needs help, and will benefit from learning support, the Life Skills class is holding him back in my opinion. The Life Skills class is a very slow paced class and focuses on doing basic daily skills like potty needs and how to eat nicely and dressing needs, etc. These are things my son does not have a problem with. He does need educational support, but that can be accomplished thru learning support. I've made pleas to take him out of the Life Skills class, but they won't let him. Another mother, of a child who has autism, told me it was likely due to the government funding the school gets for having a certain number of special kids in this kind of class. I told the school I would give them this first six weeks of school to re-evaluate him and then I want him moved. I fear I'll still have a fight ahead of me.

Anyone have any advice how to deal with this?

Lena75

Aug 11, 2004
✟21,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does your son have a doctor? Like a psychiatrist or even a pediatrician? When my son was having difficulties in school and even after having several meetings and no action from the school despite all our recommendations, ideas and everything that they wanted to know... we would go to our psychiatrist and he would write up a letter for the school on our behalf. To be honest, that only worked once for us. But, tell your doctor of your son's progress and what YOU feel should be done. Keep paper trails from the school and send them to your doctor. And yes, these programs are usually funded by the government and it's nearly impossible to take your child out, because then that means they lose $. Sad, eh?

I had 2 "normal" kids in ESL when in public school. I never fully understood as to WHY they were in there because English is our primary language. Once they're in that program, you pretty much have to pull teeth to get them out of it. I ended up taking all 3 kids out to homeschool. :D So yeah...I feel your pain when it comes to these "battles" in the school.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response. I recently had an IEP review and they did agree that he is the 'star' pupil of the class, meaning he's more advanced then the rest of the class. I mentioned how well he seems to be progressing and comprehending and they agreed, but didn't want to push him. I said, he needs some pushing, otherwise he won't live up to his potential.

They did concede and have now added more "in class" time for reading comprehension. And his reading ability is really increasing rapidly. I told them I really want them to move more and more towards integration into the class - and I told them clearly my goal is to have him completely out of the LifeSkills class by next year. They said we can do another IEP at the end of the school year to see how he's doing, but I think they're going to give me trouble about moving him out of that class. I will gladly supplement his education by adding a tutor or whatever is needed so he can catch up with the rest of the class, but I know the school is going to try to keep him in this class.

The school should want what's best for him and not want to hinder his progress just for the government funding, yet it doesn't seem the case.

Upvote 0

CarrieAg93

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2004
Texas
✟19,397.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a school speech pathologist. Contrary to popular belief most special ed. teachers and therapists DO have the best interest of your child in mind. It's NOT all about funding. In fact, programs can get into trouble from the government for having too many kids. Trust me, I'm excited when I can exit kids.

Does he have goals he hasn't mastered? If so, are they being met in his current class? While some children are working on life skills he should have goals that are appropriate for him to work on. What is the school's reason? Do they think he's not ready? Is he testing on grade level? These are all things that I would consider. If you're adament that he should be removed, it is your right as a parent. You should have gotten a pamphlet or booklet outlining your rights. On our initial placement paperwork their is a statement that says something to the effect that you can remove your child at any time. Hopefully you still have your paperwork so you can look for these statements and use them if you decide to pull him out.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response. My son is doing well on his goals. No he hasn't reached them all. He is making great strides in catching up with his grade level. The school offers both a Life Skills class and Learning Support. The Life Skills class is for more children with significant involvement. Life Skills has a heavy focus on toileting, and lunch procedures, and basic simple daily life things. He definately needed this class when he first started school. But now he's had such a wonderful surge in development, I feel he is more suited for the Learning Support class, as he does still need extra assistance.

I went to the recent Parent/Teacher conference and all the teachers involved say he's doing phenominal. He has been integrated into the regular class for Reading Comprehension and seems to be doing well, although they modify the grade level requirements for him and he tells the teacher the answers rather then writing them hisself, as writing is still one of those area in which he struggles.

My other son, Zach, has CP, and he was never in the Life Skills class, but has always been in the Learning Support. While you aren't suppose to compare children, my son Danny who is in Life Skills, is further along at this stage then Zach was, although Zach is doing well this year too.

I just wish they would consider moving Danny to Learning Support by next year, cause he's still not on grade level, but he's also not at the need level for Life Skills. That's where I'm struggling to get the school to understand.

Upvote 0

CarrieAg93

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2004
Texas
✟19,397.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When was his last assessment? You can always request an updated assessment and then you'd have data to back you up. I thought you were wanting him out of special ed altogether. Unfortunately it's harder to fight the placement than to just remove him altogether. We call our annual meetings ARDs. Just remember that if you don't agree with his placement or goals you don't have to agree. If you do that then the school would be forced to take a closer look at your concerns. Unfortunately there are some kids that just don't fit neatly into the programs the school has, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't work with you. The programs are supposed to be modified to tailor to the student's needs. If he's too advanced for life skills, but not quite ready for the other program then they should think outside of the box and do some sort of hybrid of the two.

I live in Texas and things do vary slightly from state to state, but the overall federal laws are the same. I sometimes think each family needs an advocate to walk them through everything - I guess in a perfect world where education was properly funded.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Boy an advocate certainly would help! I think his next IEP will be in March. So hopefully since they know my desires, they'll continue to give him a little push towards at least moving up to the Learning Support class and out of Life Skills. I just have to figure out what levels he needs to accomplish by that point. I'm guessin' it will take some reading and writing and math. The only one he's really struggling with is the writing, as he has some visual perception issues. The toys I'm getting him for Christmas all have an ulterior motive of some therapuetic benefit. :)

Upvote 0

immersedingrace

I feel like I've been dipped in Diamonds!
Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not a parent, but as a SW, I've been involved with my share of IEP's. If the school is still resistant to change at his next IEP, try contacting your local Center for law and education. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I do remember some kids having the opposite problem (not getting the supports they desparately needed) and this organization helped.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a parent, but as a SW, I've been involved with my share of IEP's. If the school is still resistant to change at his next IEP, try contacting your local Center for law and education. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I do remember some kids having the opposite problem (not getting the supports they desparately needed) and this organization helped.

Thank you. I'm closely monitoring his progress and plan on keeping after the school. If it becomes necessary, I will definately elevate this to the next level.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
URGH!!!! I just re-read this thread and can you believe I'm still dealing with this problem!?!?!?!?! I have another IEP meeting for him coming up, and I'm taking my husband with me this time and I'm gonna throw a fit til they move him out of that class! I know how well he's doing and this class is holding him back at this point. I just feel more and more they are keeping him in this class due to funding, and not really for him.

Say a prayer that I can make some progress with the school at this IEP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i actually made some progress. they've agreed to take him out of the Life Skills class and let him try the Learning Support class. they're gonna close monitor him so that if he is struggling with it, he can still move back to the Life Skills class. I am really hopeful that he will excell! keep him in your prayers that this will be just the push he needs to really stimulate his mind and help in progress.

Upvote 0