• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Fight or accept autism

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
From my diagnosis I have ASD but it is on a spectrum and not categorized (anymore) as Aspergers. Though I have never been to therapy or anything like that I feel I manage it alright, haha that's a catch 22. I accept that I'm socially odd and have a slower time doing stuff sometimes as well as these random bursts of panic attacks. As far as a cure to be "neurotypical" I'd say don't bother trying to be whatever the heck that is because the neurotypical person of a certain area is relative to where you are and what you are.
Just try to be what God wants you to be with your spiritual gifts and your talents. Having autism is not always a bad thing. Some people think of it as a curse or a terrible disease and it's not. I might have this weird compulsiveness to do play with anything that comes to my hands (straw paper beware) but I also make jewelry so that is a more constructive use of my weirdness.

So once you find your spiritual gifts and talents I think managing the negative aspects of autism can be better. As far as cultivating and becoming the best of it that takes time.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The diagnosis is descriptive, not prescriptive.

There's alot of diversity among people with the Asperger's label.

Personally, I don't find alot of Christian religion a panacea for Asperger's, because it's often so emotional and social in nature. You might want to avoid trying to spiritualize it, as a result.

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is no panacea-like physical medicine for Aspergers or "higher level" ASD though. So, Scripture can be a way to help along with other personalized methods of treatment. Just one of the many forms to help.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Is autism something that can or cannot be changed.

Is autsim like a arm that has been cut off or not grown at birth which means it can not be changed? or is it something that can be changed like a persons way of viewing and perceiving life and the world around them?

Should I fight to change or should I accept?

imo it can not be changed, but it can be managed like diabetes?

Accept the things you can no change, change the things you can, and have the knowledge to know the difference.

I am trying to have the knowledge to know the difference.
I'm an Aspie (as much as I hate labels in this regard). I don't like thinking about who I am as something that has to be "managed" or "medicated" or something that is "missing an arm". Instead here's my super-logical take on things:

-- I am who I am, and I have to accept that. And I like me. The I cannot change the core of who I am.
-- "Mike" is who he is, and I have to accept that. I have to accept that Mike is different than me, because he is not me. And even if I don't like Mike, I need to respect him as a person. I cannot change who Mike is.
-- Mike and I have to get along and share a world. Which means I need to learn how to interact with Mike. Like as if I was visiting a foreign country, I need to learn Mike's language and Mike's social customs to interface. I don't have to change the language I think in, or the culture in my house, or how I am. But I still need to learn how to speak Mike-ese and learn Mike-culture enough to interact with it.
-- As with any language/culture interchange, the more fluency I have in the other language, the more I get advance requests through with less (or no) pain involved. High fluency results in higher rewards.

Anyway, feel free to post more or PM me if you want to talk more!

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
(I think sharing this here would be a good thing. It's a letter I wrote to a mother who's had a Aspie daughter and mom was really struggling with understanding things)

Your daughter has MUCH company in taking longer to figure out social situations. High functioning spectrum people are indeed smart-- in fact, typically have very high IQ's. We're just not good a figuring out all these "invisible rules" people/society has. Like I naturally make this really "weird" face when I'm thinking- it's not and the unwritten code says that my "weird" thinking face is not ok to make in public. Who'd have thought that make a thinking face not ok? Is there a rational reason why it's not ok? Not really, it's just the unwritten code. And the invisible rules don't just say "don't make that face", there's LOTS of other rules in there too! In fact, it's a giant textbook of invisible rules! What's even more confusing is that this magical unwritten code changes! So in addition to learning the textbook invisible rules one time, I need learn the textbook for behavior at church, behavior at school, behavior at home, behavior in front of a boss, etc-- it's exhausting!!

So, do I read the invisible textbook of "rules"? Well, I don't have any choice really. Plus I want to succeed: like everyone else spectrum people do enjoy doing activities, being praised, and having friends. So I'll do it. But it's tiring. It takes a long time. Sometimes I'm sort of clueless. And sometimes I get REALLY frustrated trying to read an invisible textbook. But I got to do it. Sometimes I envy the "neurotypical" people around me, who seemingly learned the entire textbook library via osmosis and simply being in the room. But then, most times I don't want to be like them-- I want to be like me. I like me. I think outside of the box (frequently I don't even know where the invisible box is). I am entirely honest to people- even when they don't want to hear it. I can focus and conquer any problem faster than other people because I'm not distracted thinking about whether or not my shirt matches my shoes (ok, admittedly that's an extreme example). I have passions and loves like any other person, and I pursue them in a simple and direct manner.

Most spectrum people have something that they are passionate about, something that drives them and excites them. For me, growing up I loved animals and read the entirely library animal sections (adult and kids) by the age of 7. I was accused of cheating on my homework in the 2nd grade because I was using college vocabulary (the same day I got scolded for make "weird" faces). So I wanted to be a vet all growing up. Until college, then I took botany and fell in love with that. And then my programming skills took over so now I write computer programs about plants. My Asperger's focus and logical skills shine and bring me to the forefront of abilities in this field... even if I honestly don't know what to wear to most conferences and have to FaceTime my little sister and have her fashion consult me most mornings.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Is autism something that can or cannot be changed.
I have Aspergers which means that I do not fit in with normal people or autistic people. I am in a tough situation.
I am trying to have the knowledge to know the difference.
Good - as YHWH PROMISES IN HIS WORD:
Seek and keep Seeking,
Ask and keep Asking,
Trust by Faith(a gift) in Jesus,
Relying on the Father in heaven,
and give yourself over to Him.

He will surprise you, and most people will never accept what He reveals to you. (it would cost them too much)

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't know that much about autism but it appears that you can not change it, especially the older you are. But you can manage. Good luck.
We were told our son "may" outgrow it by the age of 12. He's 21 and still in the lower ranges of autism and also intellectually delayed. So yeah, there's is an extremely small chance of ever changing or outgrowing it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
We were told our son "may" outgrow it by the age of 12. He's 21 and still in the lower ranges of autism and also intellectually delayed. So yeah, there's is an extremely small chance of ever changing or outgrowing it.
How much distilled water, probiotics, enzymes, and anti-oxidents did he receive every day ? At any age, for anyone healthy or otherwise, these are needed naturally in the food supply, or supplemented after qualified appraisal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Clintos , autism/Aspergers can have problems on top of it, but I believe it to be a legitimate neurological profile (comparable to being left-handed).

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
@Clintos , autism/Aspergers can have problems on top of it, but I believe it to be a legitimate neurological profile (comparable to being left-handed).

Thank you for the gist of it. I believe symptoms can be managed. I am blessed and highly favoured and would not trade my Aspergers for a million dollars. Sure at times it can be tough for me because I operate imo. on a processing system that very few others do.

But this curse, which I thought was a curse. Is actually a blessing in disguise. I now have the ability to think outside the box. For example, When I become educated and specialize in a certain craft or discipline, I bring to the table a different perspective and will be able to connect dots that other with out Aspergers can not.

This simple fact, and being of average intelligence at the minimum, and having the wisdom of God on my side, makes me have potential tht very few can say they have.

Aspergers is not a disability imo, or an impairment in any way. It slowed me down. but has not stopped or killed me. Jesus, has now at the age of 38 prepared me for next chapter, which is a chapter of great success.

I would like some wisdom about what sounds possible and what education I should persue. I would like to know if a person who has studied marine biology for over 10 years. Should major in shallow to mid reef marine biology and upgrade his english, math, biology and chemistry? Then attempt to get on a plane and go to James Cook University?

or

Name me a more realistic goal. Ask some questions!

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would like to do God's will. And I feel in my heart of hearts, that I can prepare myself educationally for a Phd in marine biology. imo. I just feel blessed in the area of marine biology and if you want me to feel love, I will feel it in the ocean, in the living water. I can do the job now, if placed next to a person with a Phd that can shadow and mentor me and that required a helper, if you know what I am saying?

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh, how I can relate! I wonder if I'm autistic or if it's something else. I think you might try writing a book. You can do that in your apartment. I have at least two grandchildren who are autistic. I babysat an autistic toddler before I had any grandchildren. His parents moved away and the only thing I had taught him was how to climb into a high chair. That might have been a bad idea. ;) I wish I could have babysat him longer.

I spent enough time in my apartment, I really want to be a holder of a Phd in marine biology, and major in shallow to mid reef organism such as; coral, sponges, fish and copepods. I need a bit of upgrading in math, english, chemistry, biology. Than I write my book. I locked myslef up for the purpose of educating myself in marine biology for over 10 years. I feel ready for it, now.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh, how I can relate! I wonder if I'm autistic or if it's something else. I think you might try writing a book. You can do that in your apartment. I have at least two grandchildren who are autistic. I babysat an autistic toddler before I had any grandchildren. His parents moved away and the only thing I had taught him was how to climb into a high chair. That might have been a bad idea. ;) I wish I could have babysat him longer.

I spent enough time in my apartment, I really want to write a book and be a holder of a Phd in marine biology. Did I miss the boat? or plane. is too late to go to school?

I believe Jesus Christ's word and the holy spirit, will soften my heart and change my thoughts into productive ones, this will change my life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
(I think sharing this here would be a good thing. It's a letter I wrote to a mother who's had a Aspie daughter and mom was really struggling with understanding things)

Your daughter has MUCH company in taking longer to figure out social situations. High functioning spectrum people are indeed smart-- in fact, typically have very high IQ's. We're just not good a figuring out all these "invisible rules" people/society has. Like I naturally make this really "weird" face when I'm thinking- it's not and the unwritten code says that my "weird" thinking face is not ok to make in public. Who'd have thought that make a thinking face not ok? Is there a rational reason why it's not ok? Not really, it's just the unwritten code. And the invisible rules don't just say "don't make that face", there's LOTS of other rules in there too! In fact, it's a giant textbook of invisible rules! What's even more confusing is that this magical unwritten code changes! So in addition to learning the textbook invisible rules one time, I need learn the textbook for behavior at church, behavior at school, behavior at home, behavior in front of a boss, etc-- it's exhausting!!

So, do I read the invisible textbook of "rules"? Well, I don't have any choice really. Plus I want to succeed: like everyone else spectrum people do enjoy doing activities, being praised, and having friends. So I'll do it. But it's tiring. It takes a long time. Sometimes I'm sort of clueless. And sometimes I get REALLY frustrated trying to read an invisible textbook. But I got to do it. Sometimes I envy the "neurotypical" people around me, who seemingly learned the entire textbook library via osmosis and simply being in the room. But then, most times I don't want to be like them-- I want to be like me. I like me. I think outside of the box (frequently I don't even know where the invisible box is). I am entirely honest to people- even when they don't want to hear it. I can focus and conquer any problem faster than other people because I'm not distracted thinking about whether or not my shirt matches my shoes (ok, admittedly that's an extreme example). I have passions and loves like any other person, and I pursue them in a simple and direct manner.

Most spectrum people have something that they are passionate about, something that drives them and excites them. For me, growing up I loved animals and read the entirely library animal sections (adult and kids) by the age of 7. I was accused of cheating on my homework in the 2nd grade because I was using college vocabulary (the same day I got scolded for make "weird" faces). So I wanted to be a vet all growing up. Until college, then I took botany and fell in love with that. And then my programming skills took over so now I write computer programs about plants. My Asperger's focus and logical skills shine and bring me to the forefront of abilities in this field... even if I honestly don't know what to wear to most conferences and have to FaceTime my little sister and have her fashion consult me most mornings.

Funny plants are like corals, inwhich I want to go to university for, except corals are animals. imo, corals are a hybrid of half plant and half animal. they represent something in which is God creation and are holy, they are as fascinating as candle lights to me.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Good - as YHWH PROMISES IN HIS WORD:
Seek and keep Seeking,
Ask and keep Asking,
Trust by Faith(a gift) in Jesus,
Relying on the Father in heaven,
and give yourself over to Him.

He will surprise you, and most people will never accept what He reveals to you. (it would cost them too much)

I feel for the first time in my life, Love, and a sound mind.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know Jesus and not just of him. I am wise and capable of understanding scripture now. I have descernment. The word speaks to me know in 4 ways. I no longer feed the devil, I let him starve.

Funny thing is that I think my cat has asperger like traits.

I perceive the bible a certain way that the devil tries to trick me. But I set up strong holds and know that the battle is in the mind and that every word thought, really matters and will change my life for the greater good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can a person with the grace of God, control their mind in a way that they can physically alter certain neurological path ways. Which will then strenghten together and become an automatic connection. Will they be permanent and easier to do later when needed?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I spent enough time in my apartment, I really want to be a holder of a Phd in marine biology, and major in shallow to mid reef organism such as; coral, sponges, fish and copepods. I need a bit of upgrading in math, english, chemistry, biology. Than I write my book. I locked myslef up for the purpose of educating myself in marine biology for over 10 years. I feel ready for it, now.

Now that sounds absolutely wonderful! :clap:

Upvote 0