• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

FIBROMYALGIA - Cymbalta 60mg not working!

Stephanie2381

Ready2BLevel
Apr 12, 2011
Oklahoma
✟15,168.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello, the Cymbalta I am taking is not alleviating my fibro pain, but is helping depression...I have Flexeril to take but can only handle 5mg every once in a while and even that does not take a majority of the pain away. I sleep well on Flexeril, but hard to wake the next day for work and I am not clear headed. I am only 30, diagnosed 12/2009; I have to work full time at computer/desk, and have 3 younger kids, husband and household!

Any suggestions for medication that I can take that will help and that will not make me sleepy!!!! I was too scared to try Lyrica, tried Neurotin (spelling), it stopped pain, but started messing with my mental health, and I heard it was a lot like Lyrica -- I am really scared to take meds, as I already have to take them for bipolar II!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Stephanie

Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
I bought a "back book" long ago and the doctor claims the body/spine is one big brain and there are emotions stored at other places in the body. His instructions are to talk to the back and tell the emotions to go away like shooing off a pest.

Counting the breaths are a good way to restore emotions back to the proper place.

For a real quick training, get the book called "Zen Training"

After all the spine is the first to show up in the embryo.

Upvote 0
M

MaxxOmega

I have been thinking about going back to my chiropractor
IMO chiropractors are quacks and a joke. I went to one 30 years ago ONCE when I had back problems. After that one laughable session (He felt the base of my thumb and said "yep you got back problems"), I never went back again. I'd rather see a dish washer for back problems... :cool:

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
no luck with chiro either...my acupuncture guy admits that he can only treat symptoms for temp relief. I don't like the whole holistic health mess or eastern mysticism approach. Western meds are no cure as well but it carefully monitored can give some relief.

As to cymbalta...with antiDs it take time to build up in your system before it works the way its suppose to. Our state of mind does affect how we feel but this is something that we have to take to the lord...I don't buy the whole mind of matter jive but if we are in a downward spiral of depression and or bitterness we release toxic chemicals into our own system which make things worse...it is the ultimate vicious cycle.

As to us giving medical advice we need to be careful not to cross that nebulious gray void of pin the tail on the what...lol, jk.

Always seek God and your doctors advice and a 2nd op, on your doc, is your best bet when you get that red flag.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
As to us giving medical advice we need to be careful not to cross that nebulious gray void of pin the tail on the what...lol, jk.
It's called alternative medicine. That word is self explanatory. If I ever need to go deeper into healing, I would do the pi gu diet, Chan Meditation, Qigong and Tai Chi. All those with proper training can help.

The Wuji forms and Pentecostal body movements is the same thing.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I know ppl who are very close to me who have tried all sorts of things in desperation when western med has been a dead end and in most cases they ended up with less...less money in pocket, less as to feeling any better. The fact is that sometimes no matter what we do we can not avoid the suffering that God has allowed in our lives. The constant drain of our efforts in this never ending search for an answer can be a huge drain on an already strained and stressed existence. Not to say we don't seek help but if "it" takes our eyes off Him and what He may be trying to do in our lives we might miss out on an eternally significant work He wants to perform in us.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
...to trust and leave it at His feet is all we are called to do. If He leaves us in our condition then we use what He has left us as a means to coup and to simply accept what comes from His hand...healing, if He so chooses, if not, so be it...but growth and a closer walk with Him is always His greatest concern...this is boot camp for eternity and until we graduate we are called to follow orders no matter how tough the assignment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My suggestion is to find a medical professional who will work with you and actually monitor you. Giving you a prescription and saying come back in 6 months and tell me how it's going is not monitoring.

You are right to be concerned. The meds you are taking and your conditions make it more difficult.

I wouldn't even want to give any sort of opinion. The antidepressants aren't really pain relievers, just depressed people tend to feel like the pain is worse so people often report less pain when their depression is under control.

Pain meds go from the over the counter NSAIDS to prescription NSAIDS to the narcotics. The NSAIDS don't cause drowsiness, the narcotics can. If you have a problem with drowsiness it's likely due to sleeping poorly due to fibro or a result of the meds you are already taking. Having a sleep study done isn't a bad idea, poor sleep makes it all much worse and is almost universal among fibro people.

If there is a local fibro support group, they can be a good resource as far as who is your best shot in a doctor.

Upvote 0