• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Fibroid Tumors and Options

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi,

In the morning I am going to see a gynecologist about fibroid tumors inside my uterus that are making it enlarged. This was seen in an MRI when they were looking for something else.

I was told over the phone that the gyn could do hormone therapy, tumor removal (or shrinkage?) with a laser, or do a hysterectomy. She said the hormone therapy would put me in a menopause-like state temporarily.

I have some concerns because female cancers run in my family. Cost of treatment or surgery is also a concern.

Has anyone had hormone therapy and was it successful?

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Possibly TMI

The appointment did not go as I had expected. I thought there would be a pelvic exam, pap smear, maybe an ultra sound..

Because of the size of my uterus enlargement and a family history of uterine and ovarian cancer, she felt it was necessary to do a biopsy. It was painful, and still is. I was told the pain would only last for about day, but it hasn't stopped returning when medication wears off. When I move too much it feels like I'm tearing on the inside. I keep having a watery blood discharge, which is very small amounts now, but it hasn't stopped.

The results of the biopsy should be back late next week. The week after that I am supposed to have an ultra sound. Also on the first day of my next period, I'm supposed to call and schedule a hysterosonogram. It has to be performed at a certain point in the cycle.

She says that I am not a candidate for surgery because of how large my uterus has become and because I have had two c-section that puts me at risk. At this point, assuming that it is only fibroid tumors, the only option is hormone therapy, which is simply birth control. I'm supposed to choose between getting the depo shots or going on pills. She is recommending the shots, but based on previous experience I don't think that is a good idea. I'm going to go with the pills unless she tells me a good reason why the shot is a better option. This won't start until after the biopsy results are back. If the results show cancer, I don't know what she is going to do. She flat refuses surgery because my risks are high.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have heard back with results, and I'm very thankful for half of the news, and a little frustrated over the other half.

The thankful part is that the biopsy came back good. Everything in my uterus is benign.

The frustrating part is that in the papsmear portion they did not get enough cells to check for cervical cancer, so I have to go back and get that portion done again. Then more waiting to hear those results.

Since there is no cancer inside my uterus, they are going through with hormone therapy. I have to get the two ultrasounds performed so they can see exactly what they dealing with as far as those tumors and I suppose track progress with it.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have returned to the doctor for the second pap smear. The results were very normal. I also had one ultrasound done to view the fibroids. I have one very large one and some small ones. Based on the biopsy and first ultra sound the doctor felt that the second ultra sound was not necessary.

The doctor clarified that surgery is an option, but that she is not able to do it herself because it requires more skill and experience than she has. She would refer me to a doctor who does hysterectomies for the diagnosis and history that I have.

She said that attempting to treat it with birth control pills first is a reasonable option, and then use surgery as a last resort. She also said that she recommended depo shots because she thought I would be more willing to receive that than the pills based on a misunderstand between us, but that pill are more effective in treating symptoms and size of fibroids. So I am going to use the pills for a year and then check things out again.

She suggested that I get myself a mammogram for my 40th birthday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0