Oct 30, 2016
mass
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi i would like to know a few things before runing my new life
now i know video gaming is a touchy subject so i quit that out completely i wont play video games no more. but i go to a program for disabled artist in witch i am one i make scarfs paint also write fiction storys including poems and intreviews i also can do animation i am hoping
but i want to know if all of that and using a computer for writing is sinful thank you for the help god bless

Reactions: Winken

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
now i know video gaming is a touchy subject so i quit that out completely i wont play video games no more. but i go to a program for disabled artist in witch i am one i make scarfs paint also write fiction storys including poems and intreviews i also can do animation i am hoping
but i want to know if all of that and using a computer for writing is sinful thank you for the help god bless

Sounds like an awesome talent. Use it to glorify God!

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it means never mind sorry im young still use things like that to shorten my sentinces gotta work on that

Thanks .... I'll remember that. There's stuff on TV that one should never watch. Tragically, it is growing by leaps and bounds. If it even has an indication of an R or X rating, or if there is profanity, it gets blocked on our TV.

• Agree
Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
mass
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks .... I'll remember that. There's stuff on TV that one should never watch. Tragically, it is growing by leaps and bounds. If it even has an indication of an R or X rating, or if there is profanity, it gets blocked on our TV.
i will normaly watch tbs like american dad and bobs burgers but i think i will block r and X rated contant from my tv sounds safe

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i will normaly watch tbs like american dad and bobs burgers but i think i will block r and X rated contant from my tv sounds safe

The Lord will bless you as you grow in Spiritual insight, listening to Him and reading His Word.

• Agree
Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The law is encapsulated in these two...
Love the Lord with all your heart mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself. This would be helping your neighbor, not stealing or stalking his wife etc.
We have freedom in Christ, we just are not to use that freedom to gratify our selfish nature.
Read Galatians.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Michael,

Christianity is not primarily about what you do and don't do. It is primarily about the living person/God, Jesus Christ, and your interactions with him. E.g., talking to him daily (about him, anything going on in your life, anything important to you, etc.) with reverence is one of the most important things you can do. Getting to know him through information about him already available (The Bible) is one of the most important things. Using that understanding to live in ways that are pleasing to him is a good goal.

The purpose of the Bible is to get to know what Jesus is like and as a result know how to please him and what displeases him. However a Jesus-centered attitude and approach to living that God wants most for you. Through this you will learn what is good (pleases him), what is not (displeases him), and what doesn't matter all that much (the things that don't affect your relationship with him).

But learning a list of do's and don'ts without understanding why is not God's #1 goal for you. In some cases, it is the best we can do—like when your pastor evaluates a situation you face and explains how God views the situation, you may need to do something even if you don't understand why (or don't want to), but most of our walk with Jesus is without a human helper by our side.

The idea that you now need to "run your new life" is a little skewed. What you need now is not run your new life. Let Jesus be in charge of it. Ask him what he wants you to do and not do. Jesus summarizes the most important things this way:

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. ’The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (bold mine, Mark 12:28-31, 1984 NIV)

For example, no longer watching TV because "TV is evil" is an un-thought out reason to stop watching TV. Your TV is an electronics device. It's not evil. It is used to watch/hear such a large variety of content, that it makes sense that some of it will be good, some bad, and some neither. What is it about some show that makes it good or bad? Learning that will help you grow closer to God.

The following verse is in the Bible. It helps you understand what God wants for you in terms of your mental life.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4:8, 1984 NIV)

Every command from God is for your, your community's, or mankind's benefit, and obedience is your participation in God's plan to save people and bless you.

There's a lot of video games that go against what God says what is good for your mental life, but some do not (Community-made content playable through Portal 2, a 2011 popular puzzle game, for example).

A good start is to study the Bible to learn what it means to love God, because you can love him without feeling like you love him. :) (The following verse does not explain much about loving God, but it is a start.)

“If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— (John 14:15-16, 1984 NIV)

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:26, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
mass
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Michael,

Christianity is not primarily about what you do and don't do. It is primarily about the living person/God, Jesus Christ, and your interactions with him. E.g., talking to him daily (about him, anything going on in your life, anything important to you, etc.) with reverence is one of the most important things you can do. Getting to know him through information about him already available (The Bible) is one of the most important things. Using that understanding to live in ways that are pleasing to him is a good goal.

The purpose of the Bible is to get to know what Jesus is like and as a result know how to please him and what displeases him. However a Jesus-centered attitude and approach to living that God wants most for you. Through this you will learn what is good (pleases him), what is not (displeases him), and what doesn't matter all that much (the things that don't affect your relationship with him).

But learning a list of do's and don'ts without understanding why is not God's #1 goal for you. In some cases, it is the best we can do—like when your pastor evaluates a situation you face and explains how God views the situation, you may need to do something even if you don't understand why (or don't want to), but most of our walk with Jesus is without a human helper by our side.

The idea that you now need to "run your new life" is a little skewed. What you need now is not run your new life. Let Jesus be in charge of it. Ask him what he wants you to do and not do. Jesus summarizes the most important things this way:

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. ’The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (bold mine, Mark 12:28-31, 1984 NIV)

For example, no longer watching TV because "TV is evil" is an un-thought out reason to stop watching TV. Your TV is an electronics device. It's not evil. It is used to watch/hear such a large variety of content, that it makes sense that some of it will be good, some bad, and some neither. What is it about some show that makes it good or bad? Learning that will help you grow closer to God.

The following verse is in the Bible. It helps you understand what God wants for you in terms of your mental life.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4:8, 1984 NIV)

Every command from God is for your, your community's, or mankind's benefit, and obedience is your participation in God's plan to save people and bless you.

There's a lot of video games that go against what God says what is good for your mental life, but some do not (Community-made content playable through Portal 2, a 2011 popular puzzle game, for example).

A good start is to study the Bible to learn what it means to love God, because you can love him without feeling like you love him. :) (The following verse does not explain much about loving God, but it is a start.)

“If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— (John 14:15-16, 1984 NIV)

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:26, 1984 NIV)

so let me see if i understand.. i cant ask you guys upfront how should i run my life whats evil what god wouldnt approve like tv and video games just learn about god from them and approve on it read the bible to get to know him too run my life the way he would run it like dont be scarde of evil?

tell me if i got that streat ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was trying to address what your motivations and reasons are for trying to obey. Doing what other people tell you is good for a while but only goes so far. You need to increasingly need to be learning from Scripture (and doing what it says, James 1:22) which will lead to increasingly connecting to and learning from God himself.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
mass
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was trying to address what your motivations and reasons are for trying to obey. Doing what other people tell you is good for a while but only goes so far. You need to increasingly need to be learning from Scripture (and doing what it says, James 1:22) which will lead to increasingly connecting to and learning from God himself.

dosnt really answer the qustion is video games sinful or watching tv i see christions play games watch tv so i assume its ok but somthing bout some games i just cant play like Grand theft auto where they force you to kill people and tv where sex and murder is such a big thing well i hope you can still help

i do also plan on reading on the bible i just need a audio book of it i cant read well xD

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
(Jer 31:33)

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
(Heb 8:10-11)

Michael, much of what you are referring to has to do with a person's conscience. As a born again Christian what I am convicted of not doing (let's say reading Harry Potter) other born again Christians may have no pang of conscience in doing.
We are at different stages of growth and have different convictions and freedoms.
But the Holy Spirit that indwells the born again Christian will not lead him against His moral law such as committing adultery, stealing, murder, lying etc.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
so let me see if i understand.. i cant ask you guys upfront how should i run my life whats evil what god wouldnt approve like tv and video games just learn about god from them and approve on it read the bible to get to know him too run my life the way he would run it like dont be scarde of evil?

tell me if i got that streat ^_^
You can certainly ask. But it's probably better to ask whether we think certain things are wise to do. If you read Jesus' ethical teaching, he tended to emphasize motivations. There things that are prohibited, e.g. murder, but the kinds of things you're asking about aren't on that list.

For example, there are people who consider video games unwise. Often it's because they or someone they know have had trouble with overuse. So it may be right for them not to use video games. But that doesn't make video games inherently sinful like murder or theft.

Upvote 0