In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't trust polling, as statistics can be tricky and the wording of polls can create bias. Regardless it is encouraging that 71% view the Bible as a holy God-inspired work. I don't put much stock in this 'literal' category in this poll, for I think many would have taken that far differently depending on the wording employed.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Fewer than one in four Americans ― just 24 percent ― believe the Bible is “the actual word of God, and is to be taken literally, word for word,” according to a new survey by Gallup.

Few Americans Believe The Bible Is The Literal Word Of God

That's a pretty high number frankly, especially since that kind of biblicism is a rather modern and innovative way of thinking that exists on the outer fringe of the Christian religion. Hopefully the number will go down as more Christians are willing to approach the Bible more respectfully. Such wooden literalistic approaches to the Scriptures is evidence of a lack of real respect for the Scriptures, and does far more harm to biblical study, teaching, and exegesis. When one forgets that the Bible, in Christianity, is about Jesus then one has made the Bible into an idol; and therefore has failed to take the Bible seriously and with the due reverence it deserves as it exists as the word pointing us and directing us toward Christ, who is Himself the Word.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

eldios

May 12, 2017
San Franscisco
✟1,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Fewer than one in four Americans ― just 24 percent ― believe the Bible is “the actual word of God, and is to be taken literally, word for word,” according to a new survey by Gallup.

Many Christians think the Bible is the Word of God which is where all created men were born in the beginning. Do you actually believe God's created men were born in the Bible?

John 1
1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2: He was in the beginning with God;
3: all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
4: In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

The Bible cannot be the Word of God because it cannot give life to anyone.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

The "problem" with this poll question is that the headline (as opposed to the graphs and more detailed explanation) gives the impression that such are the views of American Christians. Even if that is understood, it makes those who believe the Bible as it concerns the religious information while conceding that some of the almost incidental geographical or historical references may not be accurate appear to be disbelievers in the religious information.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The "problem" with this poll question is that the headline (as opposed to the graphs and more detailed explanation) gives the impression that such are the views of American Christians. Even if that is understood, it makes those who believe the Bible as it concerns the religious information while conceding that some of the almost incidental geographical or historical references may not be accurate appear to be disbelievers in the religious information.

I agree. The answers can be misleading. Plenty of serious Christians would not agree with that definition of "belief in the Bible".

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Several years ago, Pew Research reported that about 23% of Americans were either Atheists, Agnostics, or not religious...and another 6% or so identified with other religions.

Based upon this, to say now that fewer than 24% of Americans think the Bible is to be believed literally and word for word...

...doesn't seem to tell us anything much. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Gallup link reports that the question was worded this way: "Which of the following statements comes closest to describing your views about the Bible -- the Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally, word for word, the Bible is the inspired word of God but not everything in it should be taken literally, or the Bible is an ancient book of fables, legends, history and moral precepts recorded by man?"

I'm not happy with that trio of options. Option 1 sounds like the dictation theory of inspiration, that God spoke each word and humans wrote them down as God dictated them. That is not the classic inerrantist position, and it's held by relatively few Christians. (The idea of "verbal inspiration" is not the same as dictation.) Option 2 is broad enough to include many Christians, but whether a particular passage is literal or figurative has to do with what genre of literature the passage is, not whether it's inspired; conservatives and liberals alike agree that Samuel/Kings is mostly intended to be literal history, and that many of the metaphors in the Psalms and in Jesus' parables are intended to be figurative.

It would have been more useful if Gallup could have gotten some scholars of religion to help them word their question more carefully.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TestifyToTruth

Nov 24, 2016
Australia
✟110,283.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
See eldios above. I agree.

To me Jesus Christ is the Logos, the Word of God. The Bible is an anthology of books recognised by Jewish and Christian councils in antiquity. It has plenty of internal contradictions but these are explicable due to the different times, personalities, cultures, knowledge and theological perspectives of the writers.

That is not to denigrate the Bible, but to actually venerate it as inspired scriptures through the human fallible writers that gives more than enough information on Jesus as Christ and Messiah who shows us the way and calls us to walk with Him.

Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Many Christians think the Bible is the Word of God which is where all created men were born in the beginning. Do you actually believe God's created men were born in the Bible?

John 1
1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2: He was in the beginning with God;
3: all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
4: In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

John 6
63: It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

The Bible cannot be the Word of God because it cannot give life to anyone.
So apparently you are one of the 71%.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
That's a pretty high number frankly, especially since that kind of biblicism is a rather modern and innovative way of thinking that exists on the outer fringe of the Christian religion. Hopefully the number will go down as more Christians are willing to approach the Bible more respectfully. Such wooden literalistic approaches to the Scriptures is evidence of a lack of real respect for the Scriptures, and does far more harm to biblical study, teaching, and exegesis. When one forgets that the Bible, in Christianity, is about Jesus then one has made the Bible into an idol; and therefore has failed to take the Bible seriously and with the due reverence it deserves as it exists as the word pointing us and directing us toward Christ, who is Himself the Word.

-CryptoLutheran

While I agree that the bible points us to Christ I wonder if you recognize that the bible is also about teaching us how to live in Christ. Christ is the word for sure and the bible is God's words written to us. When we say the Bible is the "the word of God" we are not saying that it is the Word as comparing it to Christ for He is the Word. We are saying the bible is God's words to us to teach us. It's not some idol but as you say but is a book that is revered as the words of God to us.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal

To me Jesus Christ is the Logos, the Word of God. The Bible is an anthology of books recognised by Jewish and Christian councils in antiquity. It has plenty of internal contradictions but these are explicable due to the different times, personalities, cultures, knowledge and theological perspectives of the writers.

That is not to denigrate the Bible, but to actually venerate it as inspired scriptures through the human fallible writers that gives more than enough information on Jesus as Christ and Messiah who shows us the way and calls us to walk with Him.

Do you then believe the Bible is fallible? Which parts are and which parts are not? How do you determine that?

You see it's an easy claim but difficult really to deal with. Maybe the parts that give us the information on Jesus are the fallible parts and are mistaken. But I doubt you believe that.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Which parts are in error and which parts are truth?

What does your catechism state?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
While I agree that the bible points us to Christ I wonder if you recognize that the bible is also about teaching us how to live in Christ. Christ is the word for sure and the bible is God's words written to us. When we say the Bible is the "the word of God" we are not saying that it is the Word as comparing it to Christ for He is the Word. We are saying the bible is God's words to us to teach us. It's not some idol but as you say but is a book that is revered as the words of God to us.

For Lutherans the dichotomy of Law and Gospel is essential. And the Bible contains both: It contains instruction and commandments (e.g. "Love one another as I have loved you") and it contains promises (e.g. "God demonstrates His love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us"). So, yes, the Bible does contain instructions, commandments; but the purpose of the Law is first and foremost to reveal to us our sin and our inability to abide in the obedience we are called to have toward God; God says "Do this" and we do not do it, we sin, we fall short, we err. Our salvation is found exclusively by the Gospel, what Christ has done for us apart from ourselves, it is grace alone on Christ's account alone.

Rightly dividing the word of truth, making the distinction between Law and Gospel is fundamental. Scripture contains both. And so there is Law which tells us what we must do, and thus reveals that we do not do it, driving us to despair and sorrow over our sin leading us to repentance; and there is Grace lifting us up in Christ by His glorious work to God clothing us with the righteousness of Jesus and thereby making us just. These two words, the word of God's law and the word of God's grace are found; both fundamentally lift up Christ. Christ who alone is the Just One who makes the unjust just by the grace of God through His all sufficient and glorious work and obedience; that by His death and resurrection we are justified and sanctified and made children of God in Him. It is always about Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
For Lutherans the dichotomy of Law and Gospel is essential. And the Bible contains both: It contains instruction and commandments (e.g. "Love one another as I have loved you") and it contains promises (e.g. "God demonstrates His love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us"). So, yes, the Bible does contain instructions, commandments; but the purpose of the Law is first and foremost to reveal to us our sin and our inability to abide in the obedience we are called to have toward God; God says "Do this" and we do not do it, we sin, we fall short, we err. Our salvation is found exclusively by the Gospel, what Christ has done for us apart from ourselves, it is grace alone on Christ's account alone.

Rightly dividing the word of truth, making the distinction between Law and Gospel is fundamental. Scripture contains both. And so there is Law which tells us what we must do, and thus reveals that we do not do it, driving us to despair and sorrow over our sin leading us to repentance; and there is Grace lifting us up in Christ by His glorious work to God clothing us with the righteousness of Jesus and thereby making us just. These two words, the word of God's law and the word of God's grace are found; both fundamentally lift up Christ. Christ who alone is the Just One who makes the unjust just by the grace of God through His all sufficient and glorious work and obedience; that by His death and resurrection we are justified and sanctified and made children of God in Him. It is always about Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

I see what you are saying. And you are right. Most passages that teach us how to live, how to speak, how to dress etc all have some measure in Christ. For all that we do we do to please Christ. All that we say we say to please Christ because he is in us. Even the hard passages such as church discipline have some measure of how Christ wants us to be.

Upvote 0