Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Long story short, my fiancee has started a new job - she's not loving it, it's a remote job that's actually going to end up taking a lot of her time. She/we started the kids on Seton Home Study for this academic year so that whether they were here or with their dad in another state, there would be continuity with their schoolwork.

Last night she asked if I could help her out by teaching the kids the material for a couple of their religion classes - one of the subjects being the Mass. It'd be a twice-a-week deal like college classes. I don't even need to think about it, I'm stoked to do it. My RCIA coordinator tried to recruit me fresh out of the gate, but I declined back then cause despite my 'knowledge', I was still new to the faith.

I'm hoping this isn't just a chance for me to test my meddle as a catechist/teacher, but also a chance to bond with the kids, and be there for my future wife. I'm hoping I can provide dinner for the kids and her when I go over there on those nights (it'd be twice a week), so maybe I'll either cook or bring over some takeout.

Moreoever, I'm really hoping this plants a seed of faith in the kids. They were confirmed last fall but they are not into the faith at all. They go to Mass and pray the rosary because their mom makes them, but if it were up to them they were throw it all away in a heartbeat. I'm hoping somehow I can give them a fresh perspective on the faith and maybe impart some zeal, or at least some interest in it. Maybe if they see things through a converts eyes it would give them an appreciation for it that they didn't have before.

Prayers will definitely be appreciated!

I'm also going to see whether I can incorporate other materials because if I can, I'd like to use anything from Formed.org or maybe Bishop Barron's series on The Mass to help them learn about it.

Any suggestions would definitely be helpful too, thanks all.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Long story short, my fiancee has started a new job - she's not loving it, it's a remote job that's actually going to end up taking a lot of her time. She/we started the kids on Seton Home Study for this academic year so that whether they were here or with their dad in another state, there would be continuity with their schoolwork.

Last night she asked if I could help her out by teaching the kids the material for a couple of their religion classes - one of the subjects being the Mass. It'd be a twice-a-week deal like college classes. I don't even need to think about it, I'm stoked to do it. My RCIA coordinator tried to recruit me fresh out of the gate, but I declined back then cause despite my 'knowledge', I was still new to the faith.

I'm hoping this isn't just a chance for me to test my meddle as a catechist/teacher, but also a chance to bond with the kids, and be there for my future wife. I'm hoping I can provide dinner for the kids and her when I go over there on those nights (it'd be twice a week), so maybe I'll either cook or bring over some takeout.

Moreoever, I'm really hoping this plants a seed of faith in the kids. They were confirmed last fall but they are not into the faith at all. They go to Mass and pray the rosary because their mom makes them, but if it were up to them they were throw it all away in a heartbeat. I'm hoping somehow I can give them a fresh perspective on the faith and maybe impart some zeal, or at least some interest in it. Maybe if they see things through a converts eyes it would give them an appreciation for it that they didn't have before.

Prayers will definitely be appreciated!

I'm also going to see whether I can incorporate other materials because if I can, I'd like to use anything from Formed.org or maybe Bishop Barron's series on The Mass to help them learn about it.

Any suggestions would definitely be helpful too, thanks all.

Way to go! I pray that your teaching will plant the seeds to their faith.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0