• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Feminist: We can't have a feminist future without abolishing the family.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by John P. Alexander, Feb 22, 2020.

1. John P. Alexander

John P. Alexander Servant

+508
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,329
    Non-Denom
    Single
    In the article:
    "Abolishing the family may not have ever been a mainstream proposition, but for a stretch of time in the 1960s and 70s it was a fairly well-known one. Arguments for family abolition date back to Marx and Engels (and indeed, even further, to Plato), but the radical feminist Shulamith Firestone is credited with popularizing the concept on the modern-day left. In her foundational 1970 manifesto The Dialectic of Sex, she identifies the biological family as the basis for women’s oppression because it establishes women as an underclass by forcing them to bear the brunt of gestational labor."

3. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,706
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Anyone who says these things has obviously been failed horribly by their family. People end up--okay, many people end up--seeking groups that affirm what anyone could see by reading this article: her father behaved like a cruel and selfish loon.

Is it a surprise, then, that she thinks "families" don't work, and that you need support from elsewhere?

4. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+9,311
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    So we can't have a feminist future, then.

Okay.

5. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+4,669
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    People looove it when they can attach a wacky idea to a word they hate.

Like "no families" to "feminist".

Or "global mass suicide" to "environmentalist".

Its a fun game, and I'm sure I play it sometimes.

6. Silmarien

Silmarien Existentialist

+4,449
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I think you mean: "One radical feminist wants to abolish the family."

It's hardly a new idea, but far from mainstream. There are a couple ideas in it I could get behind, like a more community based approach to caring for each other than simply the family unit (incidentally, this is something I like about Orthodoxy), mixed in with a ton of radical gender theory that is really on the fringe of the feminist movement.

7. dzheremi

+9,311
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Silmarien has a good point. Feminism is one of those labels that is so widely applicable that what it means to one person or group of people can be radically different from what it means to others. I remember when I was in high school, my (admittedly Marxist) history teacher had a bumper sticker up on a cabinet in the class that said "Feminism is the radical idea that women are people". 15-16 year old me saw that and thought "Huh...well I believe that women are people, so I guess I'm a feminist."

Surprise -- that's not the whole thing. :D But I have to believe that for some people (maybe a lot of people) who identify with the feminist movement or some of its individual goals, their understanding can be that simple, and doesn't have anything to do with destroying the family or whatever. That's still out there, but let's try to keep it in perspective. (Though I still stand by my other post, in the sense that we can't have the feminist future this lady envisions, and I'm totally okay with that.)

8. JackRT

JackRT OOPS!!! Supporter

+14,441
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    This is certainly a horribly extreme position. In my experience a successful feminist movement would render itself obsolete.

9. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+12,162
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    It seems Christians may finally be coming out with the truth that we already know about the movement.

[quotes Westboro Baptists]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+2,896
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Most feminist , I know have families. And they planned to have children, when they want to. Because most are smart about Birth Control. This lady has a negative family thought, because of her past. I have to say, at least not having to worry about family. Brings less stress.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+2,832
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
  12. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+6,650
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    This person became the unquestioned mouthpiece for all feminists when, exactly?

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  13. JackRT

JackRT OOPS!!! Supporter

+14,441
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    All the feminists that I know, myself included, would be perfectly content if their movement became completely unnecessary.

14. dzheremi

+9,311
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Some people (including some women) claim that it already is, at least in modern western countries.

How do you know when it's not necessary anymore? Who decides?

15. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+2,304
    Atheist
    The people who consider themselves part of the movement decide.

16. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+8,611
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    To cite another example, Sparta essentially abolished the family. Men were encouraged to engage in homosexual acts and rarely spent time with their wives. There are other examples from history of family being a different concept than it generally is in the West today.

17. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+6,048
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I don't think she hates the word "feminist"....she is a feminist. She's a prominent feminist author who believes in abolishing the family.

Did you catch that part?

18. Ana the Ist

+6,048
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Well feminism already achieved equality under the law....arguably, the movement isn't necessary anymore.

There are of course, feministf who would disagree....but I would disregard the opinions of career feminists . After all, it's their livelihood....and it's in their best interest that feminism never ends.

19. MehGuy

MehGuy We are highly neotenous apes.. Supporter

+6,937
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    I am pretty critical of most feminists I hear (besides a rare few like Camille Paglia), but the idea of "abolishing the family" is a fringe concept and not really a threat to worry about. Lol.

20. Ana the Ist

+6,048
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Normally I would agree. I've read about wacky radical feminist beliefs for years now and for the most part....the never gain widespread normalization. I think the most ridiculous is the idea that sex with a man is always rape (even in the confines of marriage, even with consent, etc). Obviously that belief wasn't going to catch on.

Fringe beliefs can gain acceptance through simple repetition. Social media allows this to happen in a more pervasive way than ever. I remember long ago when the idea that a sexual assault can happen even if consent is given was considered a fringe idea with no real merit. Nowadays celebrities are going on apology tours for consensual sexual encounters they had years ago.

I don't count on people having common sense anymore.