Feminist Given Award for Designing Chair Which Intentionally Makes Men Feel Uncomfortable

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The big difference is that there's no way to design a chair that forces a woman (or a man, for that matter) to not put her bag on it that would still be usable as a seat. Both actions (spreading your legs to a wide distance and refusing to close them, and putting your bag down and refusing to move it) are equally inconsiderate, but only one is resulting in this stupid art project that is earning awards for making a tired point that we've all heard 500,000 times in the stupidest, ugliest way possible.

Again, this can be solved with 2 seconds of asking someone politely to not do what they're doing, out of consideration for other human beings. But no, let's make a big project all about it! That way it garners awards, write-ups in the news, blahblahblah, all for hitting the right feminist outrage buttons that get people (pro and anti) talking about it, as we ourselves are currently doing!

Whoops.
Only one elicits an art project because people who are inconsiderate with their bags don’t start whining that people are calling their behavior inconsiderate. The reason why there are write-ups is because of the whining you see, many of the people don’t think they’re being inconsiderate or don’t care, thus private interactions are not enough.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Created as part of her final-year project entitled “A Solution for Manspreading", Laurel also created a second chair intended for women which uses a small piece of wood in the centre of the seat to encourage female sitters to rest with her legs parted, allowing them to take up more space."
She says,"“I designed and created these chairs in order to identify and challenge problems surrounding the act of sitting that might potentially be more gender specific, such as ‘man-spreading’.”
So her solution was to force men to crunch their legs together while pinching something in there AND making a chair for women which forced them to spread their legs which is unacceptable for a man who has a good reason to give things room? WOW! And this, a final year creation project for Brighton University. It is possible that some men do spread their legs too far apart, BUT SOME LADIES DO, TOO! And men have something in there which needs room. Aren't women and men's hips created differently due to necessities of childbirth? Is this feminism gone crazy or the norm?
"As well as receiving plenty of praise for her design, Laurel’s work has been presented with the Belmond Award for emerging talent."
"As part of her prize, Laurel will be commissioned to create a product for the hotel and leisure company (who gave her the above mentioned award) and receive a £1,000 bursary."
Full article may be seen at: Feminist who created chair to stop ‘manspreading’ wins design award
neither chair looks comfortable. Chair design is already gender-neutral so if there's a problem it's not the chair. I suspect if left alone women would naturally choose the narrow-leg chair and men the wide-leg chair.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As part of her prize, Laurel will be commissioned to create a product for the hotel and leisure company (who gave her the above mentioned award)

Well, guys, if you want to avoid the discomfort of having your testicles crushed, steer clear of Belmond hotels!

Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Created as part of her final-year project entitled “A Solution for Manspreading", Laurel also created a second chair intended for women which uses a small piece of wood in the centre of the seat to encourage female sitters to rest with her legs parted, allowing them to take up more space."
She says,"“I designed and created these chairs in order to identify and challenge problems surrounding the act of sitting that might potentially be more gender specific, such as ‘man-spreading’.”
So her solution was to force men to crunch their legs together while pinching something in there AND making a chair for women which forced them to spread their legs which is unacceptable for a man who has a good reason to give things room? WOW! And this, a final year creation project for Brighton University. It is possible that some men do spread their legs too far apart, BUT SOME LADIES DO, TOO! And men have something in there which needs room. Aren't women and men's hips created differently due to necessities of childbirth? Is this feminism gone crazy or the norm?
"As well as receiving plenty of praise for her design, Laurel’s work has been presented with the Belmond Award for emerging talent."
"As part of her prize, Laurel will be commissioned to create a product for the hotel and leisure company (who gave her the above mentioned award) and receive a £1,000 bursary."
Full article may be seen at: Feminist who created chair to stop ‘manspreading’ wins design award
Haha love it!

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the funny part about proclaiming that people sit like this due to discomfort is that you don't see people sitting like this on planes, in classrooms, at restaurants, in a concert venue with seating, etc. If this really were a problem, you'd see a lot more manspreading across society.
I was just thinking that! And how is it that all of my awesome male friends, and my husband, who don’t manspread never complain about this “discomfort?”

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, with most men not being that large
Literally subjective. I didn't say large from a woman's sexual perspective, I said large from the perspective of a man having it between the legs.

Nice straw man. I never said it was their motive, I simply stated they are inconsiderate. And rather than some people looking at their behavior and being more accommodating, there is whining and complaining. Someone brought up a person placing their purse on an adjacent seat; during rush hour, that is inconsiderate. They placed the purse there because it is more comfortable, it keeps it off the floor, etc. However, it is inconsiderate in a space with limited seating.

You can be inconsiderate without purposely doing so. :yawn:

Idk there were feminists claiming man spreading was sexually assaulting them so I don't see how that can be done without motive. I've never seen a man not close his legs some when someone goes to sit next. If a space is free why is it suddenly wrong to use it to stretch out. No. This only came up because third wave feminists think such things are "micro aggression", or the man having his legs open is somehow sexually intimidating them.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you have a health issue, spread away
As long as men are allowed to lie about having a medical issue as much as feminists lie about being sexually assaulted through micro aggression, then we shouldn't have an issue.

I have a medical issue that requires me to spread my legs some. Its a burst leg vein, from high blood pressure caused by trying to be patient with modern progressives ;)

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
neither chair looks comfortable. Chair design is already gender-neutral so if there's a problem it's not the chair. I suspect if left alone women would naturally choose the narrow-leg chair and men the wide-leg chair.

Personally, I'd prefer to sit on the floor than sit in either of the two chairs, or I'd pick the chair that best allows me to sit in the chair cross-legged in the same manner as sitting on the floor. Maybe someone could design a chair for me though that would have arms forcing me to not be able to sit that way in a chair, perhaps making it only possible to sit if doing a yoga pose (which would then apparently cause demons to enter my body according to a different post on this site. :) )

Could you just imagine though if a woman walked up to a man and requested that he stop spreading his legs so she could sit down?

I mostly solve the issue of the pew problem by choosing to place myself in the very middle of a pew and that way people, including families with 12 children (assuming a pew in a given church is long enough to seat such a family in the first place), can sit to either side and I either never need to scoot down, or just one or two positions either way. Of course, I'll make sure to place my bag on the lap of the person to my left and prop a foot over onto the lap of the person to my right to make sure I always remain comfortable and relaxed regardless of who is around me. (Or maybe I don't do that last part!)

• Haha
Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Feminists are weird sometimes. I never heard anyone complain about chairs like this. I mean these chairs are wooden and have no real backing, looks super painful. I think some women choose to slap the word "Feminist" on something just to have people support it more. Look at female sexuality/nudity. Feminist used to say it was degrading and treating woman like meat to be naked/near-naked in a magazine. But now when a feminist woman poses nude/near nude, its "Woman power!". Nothing has changed except they decided to give it a name, even though before the same thing was considered bad by them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What a decadent society.

This doesn't deserve money. This deserves mockery.
Hey, it’s one piece of art. It’s in the eye of the beholder. It’s not like the far right doesn’t have some cheesy art out there...

upload_2019-7-19_19-36-48.jpeg

Con Artist, John McNaughton

Upvote 0

Alien Lotus

Jul 8, 2019
Mid-Atlantic USA
✟5,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
She got an award for these...wow. :scratch:
Clearly she didn't have a lot of competition.
What would stop a guy from sitting in the chair on the left.
It goes to show this Feminist thinks of guys as a crotch first. Very weird that she was rewarded for being weird.
It's like Orwell's 1984 is coming more and more into a reality.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Looking at the pics I see a chair that makes a woman sit like a man and a chair that makes a man sit like a woman.

No one should be taking up excess space in tight sitting situations, but I think the person who invented these chairs had something else in mind.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
What about sitting next to an obese person? Because sitting next to someone who's largely over weight is uncomfortable but you don't see people making "fat chairs" and getting awards for it. In fact, it'd cause quite the outrage.

There are accommodations for this already. An airline makes you purchase extra seats. Many movie theaters have larger seats or the ability to raise the arm for more room. And some public transportation has been updated with larger seats. But they can’t keep pace with our growth.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looking at the pics I see a chair that makes a woman sit like a man and a chair that makes a man sit like a woman.

No one should be taking up excess space in tight sitting situations, but I think the person who invented these chairs had something else in mind.
Exactly. My wife is a pretty modest person and she never would sit like that because unless your wearing pants, it's revealing. Granted she wears shorts under her dresses/skirts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I had NEVER heard of this thing called "manspreading" until my wife pointed this out to me which she thought was a stupid chair idea; her words, not mine. It has always been a natural thing for me to sit with my legs apart. I have tried in years past to sit with my legs together in situations which demanded it due to being packed in like a sardine can in military transport and it IS VERY uncomfortable. If it weren't due to the fact that we were all structurally strong and developed and could comfortably withstand the next guys outward spread force, which helped each other sit with legs together, someone might have cried "foul" or "ouch, you hurt me fella." My body quickly informs me that it is TOTALLY WRONG to sit with my legs together. I think that male muscle mass and configuration and sexual bone and joint design have something to do with it. Right now I have painful dents in the outward sides of my thighs as I sit in my Adirondack chair writing this but I'd rather sustain that pain than than the pain from trying to sit with my legs closer. Sitting with legs together causes pain in the rear hip area which radiates up into my lumbar and a tightness which radiates higher into my back and also in the muscles, tendons, and/or ligaments connecting my lower thighs to the knees. Here is an article which scientifically explains it better, I think: 'Manspreading' Is Science, Not Sexism
and for the women I would especially like to suggest this interview of a woman, board-certified orthopedic surgeon: "but according to Dr. Barbara Bergin, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, it's also not good for our health. That's why she instructs people to "sit like a man" (or SLAM), though is quick to point out that she doesn't see it as a part of the "feminist movement," but rather the "women's health movement" because it can help with conditions like patellar malalignment, chondromalacia and gluteal tendonitis.
Intrigued by this idea, we spoke with Bergin as well as a few other experts to find out more about sitting like a man and what it can do for women." And the link to all of that: Why We Should All 'Sit Like a Man'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I had NEVER heard of this thing called "manspreading" until my wife pointed this out to me which she thought was a stupid chair idea; her words, not mine. It has always been a natural thing for me to sit with my legs apart. I have tried in years past to sit with my legs together in situations which demanded it due to being packed in like a sardine can in military transport and it IS VERY uncomfortable. If it weren't due to the fact that we were all structurally strong and developed and could comfortably withstand the next guys outward spread force, which helped each other sit with legs together, someone might have cried "foul" or "ouch, you hurt me fella." My body quickly informs me that it is TOTALLY WRONG to sit with my legs together. I think that male muscle mass and configuration and sexual bone and joint design have something to do with it. Right now I have painful dents in the outward sides of my thighs as I sit in my Adirondack chair writing this but I'd rather sustain that pain than than the pain from trying to sit with my legs closer. Sitting with legs together causes pain in the rear hip area which radiates up into my lumbar and a tightness which radiates higher into my back and also in the muscles, tendons, and/or ligaments connecting my upper thighs to the knees. Here is an article which scientifically explains it better, I think: 'Manspreading' Is Science, Not Sexism
and for the women I would especially like to suggest this interview of a woman, board-certified orthopedic surgeon: "but according to Dr. Barbara Bergin, a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, it's also not good for our health. That's why she instructs people to "sit like a man" (or SLAM), though is quick to point out that she doesn't see it as a part of the "feminist movement," but rather the "women's health movement" because it can help with conditions like patellar malalignment, chondromalacia and gluteal tendonitis.
Intrigued by this idea, we spoke with Bergin as well as a few other experts to find out more about sitting like a man and what it can do for women." And the link to all of that: Why We Should All 'Sit Like a Man'

I can actually agree with sitting "like a man" for everyone. I haven't read the article you linked, but sitting with legs crossed does cut off blood circulation and so isn't very healthy as a practice, and people (yes, even women) have to put in muscular effort to keep one's legs together (unless they at least also cross their feet to keep them pulled together, and then the blood circulation problem) so this whole thing of "sitting like a man" vs. "sitting like a women" is nonsense when "sitting like a woman" isn't particularly healthy in the first place and not really natural for anyone. Sure, if you're wearing a mini-skirt, and you don't want to reveal everything, you might not be able to sit comfortably, but the same would apply to a male in a mini-skirt. But there is no reason at all why someone, male or female, wearing pants or a long, loose skirt would need to ever worry about such a thing.

The point of the chairs though really isn't about sitting though, but about the cultural idea that it is "okay" for a man to take up space, but not okay for a woman to take up space, and so men are conditioned to take up a normal amount of space, with some feeling entitled to take up so much space to the point of rudeness, and women are conditioned to take up as little space as possible and not to ever complain if anyone infringes on the space she's not supposed to have in the first place. Many women will just put up with having their space invaded and never say a word because it's not considered polite or they don't want to cause a confrontation, and many men will just take advantage of it, whether on purpose or in ignorance because they've never been conditioned to think of the issue in the first place, not having to be concerned about it for themselves.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice, this silliness gives me something to write for my Political Science essay.
David, If you were serious, check out the two links (among many medical/scientific links avail) I give in post #77 and then remember how many, many posts certain ones here posted INSISTING that it was a male chauvinism or intentional act of inconsideration thing. What would motivate such unfounded and erroneous accusations? The shoe ACTUALLY fits the OTHER'S foot.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Damain, I do not understand how you can see this art project as a "GENDER-NEUTRAL" design when there was so much in the OP and referred link which clearly evidenced that the intent WAS clearly a Gender-Specific design, for the chairs, and a GENDER-SPECIFIC intent for the message which these chairs conveyed. Amazing. The background and intent for the design and message the project was intended to convey WAS clearly NOT GENDER-NEUTRAL. Going by your name it could be that your native tongue is not English and maybe something was lost in the translation. If after reading the background material here you need more explanation please let me know. I will try to help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The first real problem with this title is that is made up out of thin air, the second is arguing that implying manspreading is the comfortable way to sit and not taking up an adjacent seat is uncomfortable. Spreading your legs to take up multiple seats is simply rude and inconsiderate.
Nah, they just need to make bigger seats.

Upvote 0