PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What age bibically do you think somebody is a man or a woman? To me the early teen years is when people age at different rates, so it's hard to find an exact age.
Hmm, given the time period at which it was written, probably 15 or 16 for males, and somewhere between 10-13 for females. Females were often considered women after their first period, so that would vary far more for females than males.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hmm, given the time period at which it was written, probably 15 or 16 for males, and somewhere between 10-13 for females. Females were often considered women after their first period, so that would vary far more for females than males.

How would you define it? It cannot be a certain height because people with dwarfism are the same size as little kids.

Scientific American mentioned pubescent children, yet the dictionary defined a child as below puberty, physically that defines a child.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
How would you define it? It cannot be a certain height because people with dwarfism are the same size as little kids.

Scientific American mentioned pubescent children, yet the dictionary defined a child as below puberty, physically that defines a child.
Yes, and males go through puberty a little later than females. The difference between child and adult, traditionally across most cultures, starts at a recognition of the ability to reproduce. Aside from some outliers, females begin to be able to reproduce consistently a bit after their first period, and males around the ages of 15-16. In scientific terms, physical adulthood begins after puberty is over (which varies a bit from person to person, sure, but is plenty measurable) and mental adulthood begins after the mid 20s, when the majority of humanity has finished forming and developing most brain structures. Scary to think that the part of the brain that contributes to decision making might not be fully formed in some people until they are 25, isn't it. Heck, in some people, it isn't finished until they are 30.

However, aside from the biological perspective, how adulthood is defined is pretty much arbitrary and culture bound.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, and males go through puberty a little later than females. The difference between child and adult, traditionally across most cultures, starts at a recognition of the ability to reproduce. Aside from some outliers, females begin to be able to reproduce consistently a bit after their first period, and males around the ages of 15-16. In scientific terms, physical adulthood begins after puberty is over (which varies a bit from person to person, sure, but is plenty measurable) and mental adulthood begins after the mid 20s, when the majority of humanity has finished forming and developing most brain structures. Scary to think that the part of the brain that contributes to decision making might not be fully formed in some people until they are 25, isn't it. Heck, in some people, it isn't finished until they are 30.

However, aside from the biological perspective, how adulthood is defined is pretty much arbitrary and culture bound.

How is reproductive ability evidence of adulthood? there are infertile people who (like children don't reproduce). I view being an adult physically as related to aging-do you agree?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
How is reproductive ability evidence of adulthood? there are infertile people who (like children don't reproduce). I view being an adult physically as related to aging-do you agree?
Even most people that are infertile go through puberty, and people make adulthood definitions around the norm, not outliers. I personally define adulthood around a person's mental maturity and age. So, there are some people the same age as myself whom I view as being more child than adult, and some people younger than myself that I view as more adult. To be blunt, there is no cut and dry universal standard of when a person goes from being a child to an adult, so feel free to use your own personal definition if you want. Physical aging can be accelerated through genetic defects (such as progeria, in which people age more than 10 times faster than most people), environment and life choices (living in a polluted area, feeling lots of stress, and smoking all speed up the aging process), so even that isn't a consistent means of making the distinction.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Even most people that are infertile go through puberty, and people make adulthood definitions around the norm, not outliers. I personally define adulthood around a person's mental maturity and age. So, there are some people the same age as myself whom I view as being more child than adult, and some people younger than myself that I view as more adult. To be blunt, there is no cut and dry universal standard of when a person goes from being a child to an adult, so feel free to use your own personal definition if you want. Physical aging can be accelerated through genetic defects (such as progeria, in which people age more than 10 times faster than most people), environment and life choices (living in a polluted area, feeling lots of stress, and smoking all speed up the aging process), so even that isn't a consistent means of making the distinction.

By aging, i meant people with dwarfism don't have little kid faces.

What about the girl who had puberty and had a baby at five?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
By aging, i meant people with dwarfism don't have little kid faces.

What about the girl who had puberty and had a baby at five?
-_- people don't use outliers to define the norm. Just because someone went through puberty at an abnormally young age does not mean that we'd accept that person as an adult. Also, did you forget that I view someone as an adult based on mental maturity? I highly doubt any 5 year old would ever meet that standard.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
-_- people don't use outliers to define the norm. Just because someone went through puberty at an abnormally young age does not mean that we'd accept that person as an adult. Also, did you forget that I view someone as an adult based on mental maturity? I highly doubt any 5 year old would ever meet that standard.

i was referring to dwarfism and the aging.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
i was referring to dwarfism and the aging.
People with dwarfism are not the norm, and thus do not contribute to the standard of "adulthood". To be very blunt, history was not kind to such people, and they were often treated as if they weren't human, so the adult distinction wouldn't have even been made until within the past 200 years, maybe less.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People with dwarfism are not the norm, and thus do not contribute to the standard of "adulthood". To be very blunt, history was not kind to such people, and they were often treated as if they weren't human, so the adult distinction wouldn't have even been made until within the past 200 years, maybe less.

What is your view on the term mentioned in scientific american?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is your view on the term mentioned in scientific american?
Meh, like I said, adulthood is not something so easy to pin down, due to cultural influences. As long as how it is defined is given, and isn't a total deviation from what adulthood can refer to, I personally don't care how people use the term.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What age bibically do you think somebody is a man or a woman? To me the early teen years is when people age at different rates, so it's hard to find an exact age.

First of all, why should the Bible be the basis for something, particularly when youa re discussing it with an atheist?

But I do agree with you that it's hard to find an exact age, because each person is different. You can't say, "After being alive for X number of years, you cease being a child and are now an adult." But even if people did age identically, it still couldn't be done, because the change is a gradual one, not an all-in-one change.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since about the first century bc males have been considered adults at 13 and females at 12.

But a betrothed couple are considered fully married if they have had intercourse and have reached the age of "nine years plus one day." Mishnah tractate Ketubot.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
First of all, why should the Bible be the basis for something, particularly when youa re discussing it with an atheist?

But I do agree with you that it's hard to find an exact age, because each person is different. You can't say, "After being alive for X number of years, you cease being a child and are now an adult." But even if people did age identically, it still couldn't be done, because the change is a gradual one, not an all-in-one change.

So there is an intermediate age where it is a matter of opinion or perspective?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟931,727.00
Faith
Atheist
Some things we think about aren't objective. "Woman" and "man", "boy" and "girl" are categories in which place various humans. Each of us selects boxes based on our subjective criteria. For many things, our criteria overlap. Without overlap in these ideas, we wouldn't be able to communicate.

As such, I have no interest in deciding for all time that a male of 13 years, 11 months and 30 days is a boy and a 14-year old is a man. Such an enterprise is bootless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The differences, physically, between men and women are worthy of note, it is just that physical appearance on the outside is pretty similar, with only minute differences aside from the primary and secondary sexual characteristics.

You said.
There really aren't any, other than we can usually tell what gender someone is by looking at them.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You said.
Yes, and I was referring to outward appearance. In concerning the physical differences on the outside, male and female faces are not super distinct from each other. Internally, there are hormonal differences, some structural differences in the brain and some tissues, different hip structure... there's more difference on the inside than the outside.

Upvote 0