Toronto
✟8,646.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
(forgive the repost - just hoping to reach more eyes on this time sensitive matter - if it's not permitted to post in two separate relevant forum sections then pls let me know and I'll remove this :) )

Hi folks,

Can I get some advice on the following topic? Pretty nervous about a family vacation.

I'm to go on a cruise in 6 days with extended family (no parents or siblings). 7 day cruise + 1.5 travel days. I'm very new to the faith myself, just seeking Jesus and hoping that I'll feel more of His presence as I continue to read the Bible / pray.

I've been taking a lot of distance from most of my relationships (because most of the people in my life are non-Christians) and am wondering if it's even okay to go on this cruise I'm supposed to go on. I know there's lots of arguments to also go on this cruise, and be a witness/spread salt.. But I doubt if I'm ready to do that as I'm not even feeling the proximity to Jesus yet that I hear a lot of believers to talk about.

I've been running into Bible verses that make me feel convicted about going forward on the cruise (as there seem to be plenty of Bible verses telling believers to come separate [at least to some degree] from unbelievers). So far the steps I've taken in my life to try to come closer to God have been really really difficult (I'm not yet feeling a lot of that joy in Christ that I hear many Christians talk about) so I'm afraid of being swept back into worldly thinking [as I find myself often looking back over my shoulder to what I gave up - even occupationally - to seek God].

I would be rooming with a cousin who is now coming to identify as Christian - but in a very un-Biblical way (mixing in New Age beliefs, implying that there's so many different ways to be Christian and it'd be judgemental to say there's one right way, only applying parts of the Bible that make him happy, advocating for LGBT Christianity).

Thoughts??

God bless.

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In the end it's really up to you as you know where you are on your spiritual journey better than I do, however my first reaction is that you need to go. If for any reason to learn how not to judge and to forgive for whatever they "throw" at you. Truly listen to your cousin and the reasons he feels as he does. Only if there is an appropriate time, tell him how you feel about Christianity. Emphasize how you feel. Be caring and show him how Christianity is.

Upvote 0

Tharseo

Jan 5, 2019
Hong Kong
✟17,155.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(forgive the repost - just hoping to reach more eyes on this time sensitive matter - if it's not permitted to post in two separate relevant forum sections then pls let me know and I'll remove this :) )

Hi folks,

Can I get some advice on the following topic? Pretty nervous about a family vacation.

I'm to go on a cruise in 6 days with extended family (no parents or siblings). 7 day cruise + 1.5 travel days. I'm very new to the faith myself, just seeking Jesus and hoping that I'll feel more of His presence as I continue to read the Bible / pray.

I've been taking a lot of distance from most of my relationships (because most of the people in my life are non-Christians) and am wondering if it's even okay to go on this cruise I'm supposed to go on. I know there's lots of arguments to also go on this cruise, and be a witness/spread salt.. But I doubt if I'm ready to do that as I'm not even feeling the proximity to Jesus yet that I hear a lot of believers to talk about.

I've been running into Bible verses that make me feel convicted about going forward on the cruise (as there seem to be plenty of Bible verses telling believers to come separate [at least to some degree] from unbelievers). So far the steps I've taken in my life to try to come closer to God have been really really difficult (I'm not yet feeling a lot of that joy in Christ that I hear many Christians talk about) so I'm afraid of being swept back into worldly thinking [as I find myself often looking back over my shoulder to what I gave up - even occupationally - to seek God].

I would be rooming with a cousin who is now coming to identify as Christian - but in a very un-Biblical way (mixing in New Age beliefs, implying that there's so many different ways to be Christian and it'd be judgemental to say there's one right way, only applying parts of the Bible that make him happy, advocating for LGBT Christianity).

Thoughts??

God bless.

I might be too late for this, but I just found this nice little corner in cf. :)

Anyway, whether or not you have already been to your trip, I want to point out that you did a very nice thing to consider whether your actions is good and acceptable to God, even though it is not a sin to do or not to do. Keep that up and you will avoid a lot of temptation.

It is not clear to me that whether "go" or "not go" is the answer, since I do not understand the whole situation. But IMO, do not dig into the Scripture to look for answers for this kind of things. I know many people will disagree with me, but here is my reason.

There are no "words" in the Bible that can give you the correct answer. By "words" I mean literal, straightforward words. Unless you are able to use the Bible in a correct way, you will not find answers. But as you described, you might not have much experience with it.

Keep in mind that even the devil uses the Bible (Matthew 4:6). Incorrect use of Bible leads to incorrect decisions. I have heard that a pastor immigrated to the US, because he said that he read Psalms 18:19 and thought God lead him to a "broad place". It is no different from divination.

How to find answers then? First, think spiritually. Is it helpful to others and to yourself? By "helpful" I mean things that can build up someone's spiritual life. Think on it, and pray.

You could also take some time to remain silent and still. If you find difficulties to listen to the Holy Spirit, listen to your own spirit and your conscience, which is a bit easier for a start. If you find your conscience uneasy when you want to do/not do something, search for the reasons. You might find something that speaks to you. Maintain a blameless conscience, as Paul did.

Acts 24:16: "In view of this, I also do my best to maintain always a blameless conscience both before God and before men."

You should talk to your church leaders if you have a hard time making the decision. They have more experience in spiritual life, and may give better advice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not even feeling the proximity to Jesus yet that I hear a lot of believers to talk about.
I am encouraged that you know people who talk about this. And if these people are helping you get more with God and more into all-loving unconditional love, keep feeding on their good example :)

(I'm not yet feeling a lot of that joy in Christ that I hear many Christians talk about)
So, you know we have joy in Jesus. G:pray::prayer:D ! ! !

I'm afraid of being swept back into worldly thinking
Be prayerful about what God is having you to do. We are in this evil world; so we will have evil people to test us. But with God we are able to help any people >

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies" (in Psalm 23:5)

a cousin who is now coming to identify as Christian - but in a very un-Biblical way
So, it is possible this person needs to trust in Christ. And you can share with the person, or simply be kind and pure and gentle and humble.

And you can talk with the ones who help you get closer to God and find out more maturely how to love. These ones can pray with you, and together you can find out what God has you do. I would say pray until you are in God's peace and in agreement with ones who help you get real correction and maturing in love and being submissive to God.

Upvote 0