✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friends,

I expect the restoration of the Prophetic in the Church will be much needed as we travel towards a later hour in the scheme of things.

The question is - how should this operate...

We see in the OT prophets operating as an independent group.

We see in the NT prophets seemed to be grouping to some extent, and were the 'go to' place to weigh 'words'. They seemed to travel as a group a well.

Should we be seeing a restoration of the fellowship of prophets?

We came close to doing this in NZ at one stage, the idea was each church in a geographic area put forward one person they thought had a prophetic disposition and the group would meet independently for prayer, worship, and waiting on God.

They would then feed back to the local Pastors what they though God was saying about local strategy and the like.

This is a departure from the traditional approach of confining the prophetic input to within the church service only.

Your thoughts on this greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both.

Scripture says, "There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us."

So I believe prophets are both going to be operating within the church and in the marketplace. This is already happening anyway. The latter we just don't have privy to knowing about all the time.

However, I believe there will always be prophets that God chooses to break away from the pack and go on to specific offices separate from the status quo. Look at Elisha and the sons of the prophets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Friends,

I expect the restoration of the Prophetic in the Church will be much needed as we travel towards a later hour in the scheme of things.

We see in the NT prophets seemed to be grouping to some extent and were the go to place to weigh 'words'. They seemed to travel as a group a well.

We came close to doing this in NZ at one stage, the idea was each church in a geographic area put forward one person they thought had a prophetic disposition and the group would meet independently for prayer, worship, and waiting on God.

They would then feed back to the local Pastors what they though God was saying about local strategy and the like.

This is a departure from the traditional approach of confining the prophetic input to within the church service only.

Wow! I think that's a terrific idea!
And I agree that prophets should be subject to the Church, so I have no problem at all with a meeting of the Prophets.
After all, it is the same gift, and subject to the same checks and balances in both the Old and New Testaments. I agree that in these days we do need the voice of the Prophets who can:
1. Discern what is happening, and
2. Give us wisdom on how to travel through these times.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Friends,

We see in the NT prophets seemed to be grouping to some extent and were the go to place to weigh 'words'. They seemed to travel as a group a well.

fellowship of prophets?

BibleGateway - Keyword Search: fellowship prophets

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both.

Scripture says, "There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us."

So I believe prophets are both going to be operating within the church and in the marketplace. This is already happening anyway. The latter we just don't have privy to knowing about all the time.

However, I believe there will always be prophets that God chooses to break away from the pack and go on to specific offices separate from the status quo. Look at Elisha and the sons of the prophets.

I'm not sure what you mean by prophets operating in the marketplace - can you elaborate?

The issue I am raising is that often pastors simply don't have the time to seek God about local strategy. If we can see the right place and modus operandi for the prophetic that will help matters.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here is one scripture concerning New Testament prophets. Seems to me that each church may have several. One fear I would have if they all travel together is that they might begin to have "groupthink" and they would be reluctant to break from the group's consensus.
1 Corinthians 14:26-33 (ASV)

29 And let the prophets speak by two or three, and let the others discern.
30 But if a revelation be made to another sitting by, let the first keep silence.
31 For ye all can prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be exhorted;
32 and the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets;

Here is one such conference that is held each year. Special Guests — Global Prophetic Summit
One problem I see with prophets in general is that they do not all hold the same end time beliefs. Thus, because of their end times assumptions, they likely have some bias in their prophecies. Some are combative of this too, thinking that churches who hold different beliefs or who will nor follow them are not operating as God or they intended. That some prophets see themselves along with apostles as the "foundation of the church" speaks to this. Here is an excerpt I found from a book pastors and prophets.
"Pastors Need Prophets!
Their churches will be healthier with them than without them. Prophets, along with apostles, are the biblical foundation of the church. They often help take the local church to another level of experiencing God's power that pastors long for.

Notice how this differs from Assembly of God administration as taken from wikipedia. "Apostles and Prophets: The Assemblies of God does not recognize titles or offices of "apostle" and "prophet". It does, however, believe there are those in the church who "exercise the ministry function of apostles and prophets".[25] Apostolic functions relate to evangelizing previously unreached areas or people groups, while prophetic functions "occur when believers speak under the anointing of the Spirit to strengthen, encourage, or comfort". "Prophecy is a continuing gift of the Holy Spirit that is broadly distributed as the Spirit wills throughout Pentecostal churches".[26] Predictive prophecy that proves false, or prophecy that "departs from biblical truth" is false prophecy. The AG believes in the four ministry gifts of apostles, prophets, evangelists, and pastor/teachers but notes that there are no biblical instructions for the appointment of apostles and prophets today."

So already over administration we have divergent views, different end times beliefs and lastly, many so-called prophets are not getting much depth in their messages. How many correctly saw the pandemic? the economic collapse? Why did some say the virus would end in March or by passover? Where is the accountability? (Now some are saying Pentecost). Many also are for profit, some even charge for personal words. Hopefully the church will clean up some of this. There are many with titles yet few operating in the office. Same with all those ministers that lay claim to the Dr. title, when in fact they graduated from a school that is not recognized or accredited by the Dept of Ed.

With that said, the New Zealand idea of putting forth one person from a local church seems superior to the "wild west" that we have here in the states. It would promote accountability, and prophets would be subject to the local church. How they might handle differences in doctrine would be interesting to learn or perhaps only those of like mind would be permitted? As to my groupthink problem, a true prophet is going to always choose what God is saying, so maybe that would not be a problem when things are genuine. If all this happens I hope you keep us updated.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Learned about the prophetic for decades and still learning. Fellowship with other prophets is good, helpful, and neccessory. God speaks everywhere - a message for a restaurant diner, clothes or grocery shopper, etc. Understand what is meant and not advocating a "wild west" approach at all. Accountability - Including happy to record for anyone especially fellow prophet to review. The pandemic was prophesied -some stated "pandermic" and others described. Also," cities burning" was also prophesied recently.

One thing that needs teaching is what to do with a prophetic word. "'Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." I Thess 5:20-21 So what they say is to be tested

Some additional steps are needed to prove all things such as:
-checking it against Scripture (Acts 17:11),
-asking The Holy Spirit and hearing His voice for ourselves, confirmation (Matt 18:16; Acts 9;9-19 especially v 10-12; II Cor 13:1)
-fasting,
-spiritual discernment,
-does it point to Yeshua,
-receiving G_dly counsel (Prov 11:14). Also, "This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before concerning thee, that thou by them mightest wage a good warfare," I Tm 1:18

Definitely differences between OT and NT prophets such as:
In the Old Testament, God spoke to the prophets primarily. Compared to New Testament, John 10,:27, God speaks to all believers.

Also, New Testament, I Cor 1 establishes that's it's written to believers
- We're to desire to prophesy I Cor 14:1
-"For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted." I Cor 14:31. Yahweh will tell us what He wants us to say and tells us who they are. Then that message may be delivered - meaning sometimes things are to be prayed abou - not gossiped about in prayer meeting. When it is delivered, it's in love with certain standards adhered to -
- it's to edifiy and exhort and comfort. I Cor 14:3 Howver, there are differences between speaking prophetically and being a prophet such as Agabus in Acts 11.
. If you are in a church or at a church function, you follow the procedure your church has established. You would need to give a prophetic word under their leadership. Sometimes that means it's submitted in writing to an associate pastor. If you are a prophet, the other prophets also judge the prophetic word. Again it depends on how the church has it set

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟433,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[... snipped]

We see in the NT prophets seemed to be grouping to some extent, and were the 'go to' place to weigh 'words'. They seemed to travel as a group a well.

[snipped ...]

I think we may.

And I am reminded of something that Moses said, "Would that all the LORD'S people were prophets, that the LORD would put His Spirit upon them!" (Numbers 11:29)

So how might the prophetic operate in the days to come? In only one way would any such move prove to be fruitful: If it is done in union with God, in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello Carl. I would suggest two differences. A building should have as broad a base as possible, why one person from a locality? Have the fellowship of the prophets with a selected group from each church. Let the congregation select and send the group. Then have them report back to the congregation and formulate the road map, not to the pastor.

One thing that I have learned in churches is that the Lord often speaks to someone outside the in crowd. For example in the bible the prophet Amos, an outsider, a part-time shepherd and fruit picker.

God Bless You :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Carl. I would suggest two differences. A building should have as broad a base as possible, why one person from a locality? Have the fellowship of the prophets with a selected group from each church. Let the congregation select and send the group. Then have them report back to the congregation and formulate the road map, not to the pastor.

The issue with your suggestion is that one church could dominate the group. That is why my suggestion preserves the principle of the least being heard.

Also I do see it as a service to the Pastors who will be responsible for how they handle the prophetic offerings. I do think however that the prophetic voice should be openly shared with the congregation.

One also must be careful to make sure offerings are submitted to mutual accountability among the group this means unity is required not consensus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟201,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Friends,

Blessings in Christ Jesus Carl. Down were you are, in your country, the prophets are not where one would expect them to be. The market place was a good answer though. The prayers were of one accord concerning the virus and look what happened. The prayers of a righteous man availeth much!
Smile Carl Smile!

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Friends,

In the bible it puts apostles at the top of the service hierarchy, then prophets, then pastors, then those with gifts of healing and evangelists. I think those people who studied for years at seminary will need to humbly let the prophets be higher than them in the pecking order.

Not sure if that's going to happen tho.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the bible it puts apostles at the top of the service hierarchy, then prophets, then pastors, then those with gifts of healing and evangelists. I think those people who studied for years at seminary will need to humbly let the prophets be higher than them in the pecking order.

On the contrary, after apostles, those people who studied for years at seminary are at the top of the ladder:

1 Timothy 5:17: Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary, after apostles, those people who studied for years at seminary are at the top of the ladder:

1 Timothy 5:17: Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching.

I guess that only applies if they "rule well"

However, since the pattern of "lording it over" like the heathen is the norm - the above quoted passage doesn't apply.

• Winner
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Friends,

Or more often as itinerant individuals.
I don't particularly see them as a grouping in the NT, but as spread throughout the body
It's a good idea, but not as an official structure, I've seen too much of the carnal weight they like throwing around.

To me it would be far more important that churches and fellowships should start encouraging all the gifts in their meetings, with no passengers.
In most charismatic/Pentecostal churches, the pastor is still the source of power, ministry, and direction, which completely contradicts scripture.
The net result being a passive emasculated membership.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I'm not sure what you mean by prophets operating in the marketplace - can you elaborate?
I stick my hand up here.
The Lord gave me an apostolic and prophetic anointing for the marketplace/industry.
The issue I am raising is that often pastors simply don't have the time to seek God about local strategy. If we can see the right place and modus operandi for the prophetic that will help matters.
If pastors don't have time for seeking God for local strategy, then they should get another job.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,544.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I stick my hand up here.
The Lord gave me an apostolic and prophetic anointing for the marketplace/industry.

If pastors don't have time for seeking God for local strategy, then they should get another job.

Maybe the strategy would become clear if the whole congregation was involved in the process which would include the prophetic. This would then mean the forward vision would be 'owned' by the members rather than 'sold' by the pastor.

• Winner
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Maybe the strategy would become clear if the whole congregation was involved in the process which would include the prophetic. This would then mean the forward vision would be 'owned' by the members rather than 'sold' by the pastor.
That's is it in a nutshell.
Apart from specific teaching times, as we see Paul doing, the assembling of the saints was never ever meant to be led from the front, or from some special leader figure or team.

1Cor14v26 and elsewhere makes it abundantly clear that the ministry came from the whole of the body operating in the gifts of the spirit.
Until that happens, I suspect your OP will be a moot point.

The problem in almost every case is that certain people just love to be in positions of power. That applies to pastors and it applies to prophets.

I recall about 15 years ago being invited to a 'gathering of the prophets' in Europe. I went with my wife and a prophetic seer friend. The Lord had us go so we could watch how the spirit of Jezebel was being used in the prophetic ministry.

We were told it was an open mike and anyone was welcome to bring a word. I was at the back crying out to the Lord because I felt strongly I had a word to bring, not prophetically, but scripture.

Eventually, I felt a clear push from the Lord, went up and was handed the mike. I started by simply asking people to check a well known scripture. I intended to draw them into a better understanding of what it meant, but before I'd got anywhere at all, the organisers grabbed the mike back and ushered me swiftly from the stage.
I knew in advance that the Jezebel spirit would be enraged, and so it was. The self esteem of those at the top must always be exalted, and anything that might expose it, trampled down.

I'd been to another prophetic gathering with my friend a year earlier, and witnessed the very same exaltation of those in charge.

That's why decades earlier, the Lord had take me into industry. It was new territory untouched by status and hierarchy battles. My calling was to build up and liberate the saints, whether the churches liked it or not. As said before, they hated it.

That's why these days I remain in the hill country. I'll go and do what the Lord tells me to do, when he tells me.

Upvote 0