• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Feels like my brain just needs to be fixated on SOMETHING.

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,
Anyone else get the feeling that their brains NEEDS something to obsess over? Like when an obsession is dealt with, there's a void or the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop, until something new pops up. Like it almost feels weird to NOT have something to be constantly ruminating over. For me, currently, it's my obsession about the books I may or may not have stolen from my friend (I made a thread about it below). I just can't shake it until it's SOLVED. But I'm not sure how to solve it, and I can't seem to let it go. During work, I'm distracted enough that I don't really think or worry too much about my obsessions. But once I clock out and get in my car, it's like my brain presses the play button on an episode of a t.v. series, and I go back to obsessing.
It's exhausting, and I'd really like to be using my brain to actually be constructive instead of running around in circles.

• Prayers
Reactions: Olmhinlu

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hey all,
Anyone else get the feeling that their brains NEEDS something to obsess over? Like when an obsession is dealt with, there's a void or the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop, until something new pops up. Like it almost feels weird to NOT have something to be constantly ruminating over. For me, currently, it's my obsession about the books I may or may not have stolen from my friend (I made a thread about it below). I just can't shake it until it's SOLVED. But I'm not sure how to solve it, and I can't seem to let it go. During work, I'm distracted enough that I don't really think or worry too much about my obsessions. But once I clock out and get in my car, it's like my brain presses the play button on an episode of a t.v. series, and I go back to obsessing.
It's exhausting, and I'd really like to be using my brain to actually be constructive instead of running around in circles.
"Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, whom we acknowledge as our apostle and high priest." Hebrews 3:1

Upvote 0

stella55

Sep 17, 2017
München
✟19,041.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yep, that's how OCD works... It always needs SOMETHING to obsess over. You think you had the worst obsession episode ever, but when it's finally gone, you soon get a new one that seems equally as bad or even worse. The trick is to stop the intrusive thought whenever you notice it by not giving it enough attention. This way, it won't have a chance to evolve into a full-blown obsession. Of course, it's easier said than done. But the more you ignore your thoughts, the easier it becomes and the obsession slowly disappears.

Oh, and I also noticed a curious thing that I seem to obsess not only over bad things, but also over the good ones as well. For example, if there is an event coming up that I look forward to, I may spend my days daydreaming about it and creating scenarios in my head. It feels like any other obsession. You may think that it is better than obsessing over bad things, but even though it is without a doubt much less stressful, it's also not a very good thing because most of the time, the actual event is never as good as I had pictured it to be, and I'm then left with a major disappointment. So no fun either way!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0

Scared but trusting God

Apr 25, 2020
United States
✟15,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,
I can relate to this, I have OCD and I always have something I’m obsessing over. I will be praying for you.

Upvote 0