Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
[If this isn't something you would want to discuss, please tell me or if it is too personal etc]

How do you feel after receiving confession+absolution?

How do you feel after receiving the Body and Blood of our Lord in Holy Communion?

Thanks!!! :)

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do you feel after receiving confession+absolution?

like a great wieght has been lifted off of me

How do you feel after receiving the Body and Blood of our Lord in Holy Communion?

depends on where I am, what I have done prior, and what part of the Liturgical year it is.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Feelings can be deceptive, but after the Holy Eucharist in the Orthodox Church, I feel a more profound presence and sense of awe and love than I felt as a Catholic. Likewise, I can actually FEEL like I'm spiritually draining without the Eucharist if I skip a week and don't go to liturgy. I feel a spiritual shot in the arm, an overwhelming blessing that comes down on me.

At Confession, I feel, as Matt said, like a weight has been lifted. Usually for me it feels like an ANVIL has been removed from my head!

Confession in Orthodoxy is much more prescriptive, full of counsel, and it has more ritual and beauty to it. The sense that you are your priest's spiritual child and that he is witnessing a mystery and something greater than both of you is what is wonderful. The entire thing is powerful. I always leave Confession rejuvenated, energized, and Communion becomes even deeper.

Both sacraments are very medicinal and life-changing. I never walk away ho-hum or "as you were" about it. I always have a spring in my step and a chin up and big smile.

So, despite the fact that feelings can be deceptive, I'll take the wonderful feelings that these sacraments have given me!:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Feelings can be deceptive, but after the Holy Eucharist in the Orthodox Church, I feel a more profound presence and sense of awe and love than I felt as a Catholic. Likewise, I can actually FEEL like I'm spiritually draining without the Eucharist if I skip a week and don't go to liturgy. I feel a spiritual shot in the arm, an overwhelming blessing that comes down on me.

At Confession, I feel, as Matt said, like a weight has been lifted. Usually for me it feels like an ANVIL has been removed from my head!

Confession in Orthodoxy is much more prescriptive, full of counsel, and it has more ritual and beauty to it. The sense that you are your priest's spiritual child and that he is witnessing a mystery and something greater than both of you is what is wonderful. The entire thing is powerful. I always leave Confession rejuvenated, energized, and Communion becomes even deeper.

Both sacraments are very medicinal and life-changing. I never walk away ho-hum or "as you were" about it. I always have a spring in my step and a chin up and big smile.

So, despite the fact that feelings can be deceptive, I'll take the wonderful feelings that these sacraments have given me!:)

Thank you so much for sharing! :D

[I have similar experience as a Catholic, I totally agree the sacraments are medicinal. Amen]

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always had powerful experiences with the Eucharist as a Catholic, too, but there is something I just can't put my finger on with Orthodox Communion. The first time I went up for communion, it was out of this world! And the weird thing is that I've NEVER had Satan attack me with temptation and doubt and just full-on assault as I had when I was considering becoming Orthodox. He didn't attack my wife, just me, and HARD! And then about two months AFTER conversion, he came at me again. It was intense and bizarre! I really thought about it and realized that Satan doesn't laugh the full-on strikes unless something is worthwhile and he's getting nervous. And trust me, Orthodoxy IS WORTH IT! He knows it. But God's grace to get me there was stronger than the Evil One's whiles and seed-planting of doubt. Thanks be to God for it, too!

Thank you so much for sharing! :D

[I have similar experience as a Catholic, I totally agree the sacraments are medicinal. Amen]

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I always had powerful experiences with the Eucharist as a Catholic, too, but there is something I just can't put my finger on with Orthodox Communion. The first time I went up for communion, it was out of this world! And the weird thing is that I've NEVER had Satan attack me with temptation and doubt and just full-on assault as I had when I was considering becoming Orthodox. He didn't attack my wife, just me, and HARD! And then about two months AFTER conversion, he came at me again. It was intense and bizarre! I really thought about it and realized that Satan doesn't laugh the full-on strikes unless something is worthwhile and he's getting nervous. And trust me, Orthodoxy IS WORTH IT! He knows it. But God's grace to get me there was stronger than the Evil One's whiles and seed-planting of doubt. Thanks be to God for it, too!
Glory To God! And May his will be done in all things.

Upvote 0