Puffinstuff

Dec 26, 2012
✟1,430.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
New International Version (©2011)
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
New Living Translation (©2007)
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

English Standard Version (©2001)
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
The LORD is near the brokenhearted; He saves those crushed in spirit.

International Standard Version (©2012)
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted, and he delivers those whose spirit has been crushed.

NET Bible (©2006)
The LORD is near the brokenhearted; he delivers those who are discouraged.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Lord Jehovah is near to the broken hearted and he saves the meek in spirit.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
The LORD is near to those whose hearts are humble. He saves those whose spirits are crushed.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
The LORD is near unto them that are of a broken heart; and saves such as be of a contrite spirit.

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand the scripture, but am wondering what you mean by "Feelings? A Luxury?". Can you please explain?

Basically when you go to a third world country or places of poverty where they pray to God for water the things that affect people in industrial country don't really matter. For example if you struggle everyday to have food, your not going to worry about being bullied because your physical need is more important. That is the reason why you find more depressed people in industrialized countries then third world countries. They don't have the luxury to be depressed or have words affect them. I used to spend summers in Jamaica sometimes in westmoreland sometimes in the greater portmore housing called three west aka gangsta city. If someone talked about how you looked or bullied you, you fought lost or won and moved on to the next day. Areas like that where most people fear for their life, have poverty, drug selling is an occupation you aren't going to here people complain about verbal abuse living in areas where there is enough gang warfare to be nicknamed gaza. It's not as important as daily survival. Therefore feelings like depression and verbal abuse these terms appear to be an industrialized luxury.

Upvote 0

Puffinstuff

Dec 26, 2012
✟1,430.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Basically when you go to a third world country or places of poverty where they pray to God for water the things that affect people in industrial country don't really matter. For example if you struggle everyday to have food, your not going to worry about being bullied because your physical need is more important. That is the reason why you find more depressed people in industrialized countries then third world countries. They don't have the luxury to be depressed or have words affect them. I used to spend summers in Jamaica sometimes in westmoreland sometimes in the greater portmore housing called three west aka gangsta city. If someone talked about how you looked or bullied you, you fought lost or won and moved on to the next day. Areas like that where most people fear for their life, have poverty, drug selling is an occupation you aren't going to here people complain about verbal abuse living in areas where there is enough gang warfare to be nicknamed gaza. It's not as important as daily survival. Therefore feelings like depression and verbal abuse these terms appear to be an industrialized luxury.

they are depressed.they are very depressed.:(

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
they are depressed.they are very depressed.:(

No they are to busy trying to figure out where there next meal comes from, where they can find drinking water to even think about depression. That is why I said it is a luxury to feel abused verbally. If you are in a physical fight for your life the last thing on your mind is what someone says.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's not how I see it (that feelings are an industrialized world's issue)......and luxury? My mind immediately went to the 1800's and how the slaves used music (often Gospel music) to make it through the day.

They also had meetings at secret places (“camp meetings”, “bush meetings”), because they needed to meet one another and share their joys, pains and hopes.~History Official Site of Negro Spirituals, antique Gospel Music

Also......ISTM that without hope and faith to empower us.......move us forward, we are going to just give up (as related to poverty in 3rd world countries). Would you consider hope and faith to be "feelings"? I'm not sure what you're considering as "feelings"......but, I don't know how a person can be void of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
No they are to busy trying to figure out where there next meal comes from, where they can find drinking water to even think about depression. That is why I said it is a luxury to feel abused verbally. If you are in a physical fight for your life the last thing on your mind is what someone says.

s-CHILD-POVERTY-large.jpg

Nope, he's not depressed...:doh:

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Feelings are necessary. If I were starving, I'd find that pretty depressing even as I hunted for food. Feelings motivate us to do something about them. If I feel depressed because I have not eaten for four days, it drives me to go searching for food. And even if I am starving to death with a distended belly, don't think I would not grieve if my husband or son was suffering along with me.

Feelings (ie fear, hurt, etc) motivate us to avoid or flee from scary or hurtful or dangerous situations. And if we did not experience these negative feelings, we would not know the positive emotions...how could we be happy and celebrate the risen Christ if we did not know the sorrow of his death? Sorrow is an emotion, and God uses it to renew our hearts and minds. Without sorrow, there is no repentance.

Our emotions are necessary. The Bible tells us to guard our hearts. It also tells us that the heart is deceitful (emotions can betray us and they can be unreliable). We are told to be of sound mind (not let emotions get the best of us). We need a healthy balance of heart and mind....but we need them both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrsSWH

Dec 16, 2012
✟15,220.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I don't think you are correct. You are correct that when you are starving your main focus is on finding food. However the other needs still remain. Especially for the working poor with such high competition for resources. I did respond to this point in another thread I think.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think you are correct. You are correct that when you are starving your main focus is on finding food. However the other needs still remain. Especially for the working poor with such high competition for resources. I did respond to this point in another thread I think.

Maslow's law of hierarchy if the foundation of sustaining human life is in danger the reality is people will not feel as intensely regarding what people say and depression. I'm not talking about poor in America I'm talking about working poor in different countries in Africa. Third world nations are very different then industrial countries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

ChristianGolfer

That article didn't cite any actual studies.

So it's impossible to say whether that's really an established fact.

Could be that wealthy countries are the only ones that report such statistics.

In a any event, the article wasn't about people suffering from mental or emotional abuse. It was about famous people feeling unhappy. One cannot logically conclude that just because rich people aren't happy that psychological abuse isn't really damaging.

To say that feeling verbally or mentally abused is a "luxury" that only rich westerners have is to erase all the millions of people in third world countries who are verbally and mentally abused. And that's just callous. And ignorant.

International Child Abuse

Emotional Abuse of Women by their Intimate Partners: A Literature Review | Springtide Resources

The biggest problem with this line of thinking is that you seem to think that abuse is all about how the recipient feels and isn't about what the abuser does. Whether something is abusive is not a merely subjective thing that someone can talk themselves out of feeling.

As someone who is training to be a lawyer, I would think you would understand the concept of an objective "reasonable person" standard as applied to intentional infliction of emotional distress.

ETA: Just because people may be conditioned not to complain about psychological abuse or bullying doesn't mean that they aren't suffering from the effects of it. If their complaints are met with essentially "suck it up, that's not a real problem" then they're going to learn very quickly not to voice complaints.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puffinstuff

Dec 26, 2012
✟1,430.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Felix Economakis: Why is Depression Highest for People in the Richest Countries?

It's a fact if your physical needs are not met you have no time to be depressed or feel upset based on what others say.

That article didn't say anything about not having "time' to be depressed if your physical needs aren't met.It didn't say anything at all about poverty ridden people not suffering depression.

Depression is the number one mental problem in western industrialised nations, and it is no respecter of status or income.

It also did not say we are more depressed than people who don't have their physical needs met either.It was theorizing on why it might be depression is the #1 mental problem in western and industrialized nations.And it didn't have anything to do with time.Not in this article even though I have read in the past that one of the reason Americans rate higher in depression compared to other industrialized nations is that we don't get as much time off of work as some other countries do.This article was talking about lack of role models /inspiration and community.

But it certainly didn't say that people who live in famine or in deep poverty or gangsta town are happier than those that have their physical needs met for food/shelter safety at all..let alone because they don't have time to be depressed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puffinstuff

Dec 26, 2012
✟1,430.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puffinstuff

Dec 26, 2012
✟1,430.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Could be that wealthy countries are the only ones that report such statistics.

That is one of the reasons actually.In many countries you will be ostricized for voicing any emotional /mental issue and even jailed because their are no establishments to treat mental disease.So its not that they don't have "time" to BE suffering emotionally they just don't talk about it.Besides I guess I'm confused about how one human being being mentally cruel to another human being and the damaging effects became about being hungry or in famine or living in a world of fear of violence ?All of those cause mental anguish.They are 3 separate factors that can cause depression/ anxiety /post traumatic stress etc.You don't have to "make time" for it .It just is.But as far as physical needs being met inside of America one of the wealthiest nations its the poorest that in fact have the highest depression rate.At about double the rate of those who have enough money to take care of themselves well.

Upvote 0