feeling kinda off, cannot pray the rosary...it feels weird to keep skipping days

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
more than a week ago I got a cold/flu bug and couldn't pray the rosary for a few days, and I hated not doing that. I resumed the rosary after having just recovered, but tonight I feel a tad queasy again and cannot get myself to do the rosary, and I don't like that because I somehow worry I'll fall apart without doing it...I'm just not feeling up to it at all...physically. mentally I'm not either but I have managed to pray in spite of mental sloth. I hope I can be alright tonight without praying it, and I hope I'm not getting sick again. Maybe I'm just too nervous or stressed, or maybe I am getting sick, I hope not. I have an exam Monday plus more homework in another class and I don't feel like dealing with this again.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They say that the kinesthetic experience of fingering the beads is psychologically soothing (which is why bead prayer has existed in so many religious cultures throughout the ages.) And so when you're under stress, that might be the very best time to carry the beads in your pocket and just touch them and perhaps say an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], like "Mary, ease my worried mind."

Maybe, it's good for our prayer muscles to use different modes of prayer on some days, just like it's good to vary our style of exercise so that we use different muscles.

But in any case, I am glad that you are settling in to a comfortable routine again with the prayer mode that is most meaningful to you.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right after my mother died, I was shocked to find that I couldn't pray the Rosary. (I think it had to do with concentration--for some darn reason I couldn't concentrate the short 15-20 minutes it would normally take for a five decade Rosary.) Did find that I could totally manage the Divine Mercy Chaplet. It is shorter and for me it's like breathing.

Like the short [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] (there are so many) idea. Helps one to feel "in touch".

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
They say that the kinesthetic experience of fingering the beads is psychologically soothing (which is why bead prayer has existed in so many religious cultures throughout the ages.) And so when you're under stress, that might be the very best time to carry the beads in your pocket and just touch them and perhaps say an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], like "Mary, ease my worried mind."

Maybe, it's good for our prayer muscles to use different modes of prayer on some days, just like it's good to vary our style of exercise so that we use different muscles.

But in any case, I am glad that you are settling in to a comfortable routine again with the prayer mode that is most meaningful to you.
I actually have prayed it online, LOL. there's this neat site that I've been using for quite awhile. I don't remember the last time I used the actual beads. I'd love to take the beads with me in the event that I want to pray it somewhere but I don't exactly find the privacy.

Right after my mother died, I was shocked to find that I couldn't pray the Rosary. (I think it had to do with concentration--for some darn reason I couldn't concentrate the short 15-20 minutes it would normally take for a five decade Rosary.) Did find that I could totally manage the Divine Mercy Chaplet. It is shorter and for me it's like breathing.

Like the short [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] (there are so many) idea. Helps one to feel "in touch".
it takes me practically 40-45 mins to pray it. I wish however it did take me only 15-20 mins. how much different I'd feel if that were the case LOL. Cumulatively or consecutively, but still. That's why it is so hard for me sometimes to want to do it. I practically do it every day. Have been for over a year. I get days where I just don't feel like doing it, but I don't want it to become a pattern and one day I realize that I'm just not praying it anymore.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I actually have prayed it online, LOL. there's this neat site that I've been using for quite awhile. I don't remember the last time I used the actual beads. I'd love to take the beads with me in the event that I want to pray it somewhere but I don't exactly find the privacy.

it takes me practically 40-45 mins to pray it. I wish however it did take me only 15-20 mins. how much different I'd feel if that were the case LOL. Cumulatively or consecutively, but still. That's why it is so hard for me sometimes to want to do it. I practically do it every day. Have been for over a year. I get days where I just don't feel like doing it, but I don't want it to become a pattern and one day I realize that I'm just not praying it anymore.

I use divineoffice.org sometimes to pray the Liturgy of the Hours. It is beautifully done. And someone on OBOB posted the site and made me aware of it (whoever you are, thanks.)

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I use divineoffice.org sometimes to pray the Liturgy of the Hours. It is beautifully done. And someone on OBOB posted the site and made me aware of it (whoever you are, thanks.)
I'll check that site out, it looks interesting.
Perhaps doing a 10 bead chaplet would be easier than doing an entire 5 decade rosary?
It would be. Do you think it could help just as much? I feel that the rosary is more potent but at the same time, I wouldn't mind the DVM from time to time.
I agree with the others, and also remember that when we pray though we don't feel like it, our prayer pleases God, even though we might not think so ;)
I'm sure our prayer pleases God. it'd be nice for it not to feel like a liability sometimes LOL.

Upvote 0