Cascadia
✟15,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone else feel like you have been abandoned by God? I have been examining my thoughts & actions to ensure I am not living in transgressive sin, I have spoken to God, I have looked at everything I can think of yet I feel abandoned in my soul/mind. Has anyone else felt like such? Is there any Scripture you could share with me & could you keep me in your prayers? I desire a conversation so please do not hesitate to respond.

Edit: Also, I am not having any sort of trial, at least that I am aware of, I feel like God is not near because something in me just does not feel normal.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there any Scripture you could share with me...?
If you don't mind me asking, what is the story of your login name?

Have you been looked at for depression?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

As Hell Falls

Aug 17, 2019
Cascadia
✟15,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A few years ago I was trying to figure out a username/band name and ended up with "As Hell Falls" or "Out of the Depths". I like using As Hell Falls because it is a witness to my belief (Scripture) and is a reminder that Hell will not prevail because of what Jesus has done for us who put our faith in Him.

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you mind sharing how long you felt like that? Also, what stopped you from feeling that way?

Yes of course. It was for about three years and I felt like I could end up in hell. I eventually decided to go to church and started serving God. The Holy Spirit eventually kicked in and now I don't feel that way. There have been some ups and downs along the way though, and felt like God abandoned me (even though he didn't).

Upvote 0

As Hell Falls

Aug 17, 2019
Cascadia
✟15,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Have you been looked at for depression?

I have been diagnosed with major depression in the past, I also have really bad OCD (not the "cleaning" kind, the kind where I get an unwanted thought and want to bang my head into the wall because it will not leave my mind). It has been years since I had that mindset and, it could be the growth I have had, do not think it is depression. I cannot take medicine because it makes me feel...not real, I hope that makes any sort of sense.

Upvote 0

As Hell Falls

Aug 17, 2019
Cascadia
✟15,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes of course. It was for about three years and I felt like I could end up in hell. I eventually decided to go to church and started serving God. The Holy Spirit eventually kicked in and now I don't feel that way. There have been some ups and downs along the way though, and felt like God abandoned me (even though he didn't).
Mine has only been a few months, hopefully it will not be as long. What strikes me is that I cannot put a finger on what feels different, just that I fell abandoned whereas I did not prior.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mine has only been a few months, hopefully it will not be as long. What strikes me is that I cannot put a finger on what feels different, just that I fell abandoned whereas I did not prior.
No one lives on the mountain all the time. It's just the way life is. God hasn't gone away, but sometimes he does feel distant. My solution is to get to the wilds where he feels closer. Maybe you have another way, but reading the Bible and praying is never wrong, even when it doesn't immediately produce the feelings. It's not that the feelings don't matter, but they aren't a good gauge of where we are spiritually.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Do you attend church service?

Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone else feel like you have been abandoned by God? I have been examining my thoughts & actions to ensure I am not living in transgressive sin, I have spoken to God, I have looked at everything I can think of yet I feel abandoned in my soul/mind. Has anyone else felt like such? Is there any Scripture you could share with me & could you keep me in your prayers? I desire a conversation so please do not hesitate to respond.

Edit: Also, I am not having any sort of trial, at least that I am aware of, I feel like God is not near because something in me just does not feel normal.

All I can offer is that I am right there with you. I pray this passes quickly for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I havent been able to go in a bit over a month & have wondered if it could be the lack of fellowship. I also am in bible college.

Just asking cause I always feel closest to God in church. Or when serving God.

• Agree
Reactions: As Hell Falls
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The first thing to do is examine your conscience to see if there's any unconfessed sin you need to deal with. Then ask God to reveal any sin you're unaware of or area where you need to be brought into greater obedience.

But it sounds like you've already done that. If so, I would take this as a call to exercise faith and keep going forward in obedience. The Lord allows these tests to strengthen our faith and to mature us. Otherwise we would be too feelings-dependent. So we get called out of the boat, to walk on the troubled waters of our old feelings.

This experience is very common. The Lord does some of His greatest work in the wilderness. He has promised never to abandon us, and He will not. He is faithful.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Prayed for you.

Now a few questions which you can do a self examination and don’t have to respond as I am not putting you on trial. This is from my own experiences.

1. How much do you pray each day? And I don’t mean asking for things. How much do you ponder and commit to praising God and asking Him what His will is for you? How much do you pray for others? How much do Glorify God and remain in contemplation of His gift of salvation by Jesus dying on the cross for the forgiveness of sins; how He Justified us by His sacrifice and Resurrection? The Cross and Empty Tomb are essential in our daily prayers.

2. What does your daily reading, studying and meditation on the Scriptures look like. A daily devotion book with a Bible verse is not it. Commit yourself to a yearly Bible reading plan. Read it all in 12-18 months. This will evoke you to pray the Scriptures as you will see God’s plan of Redemption in every page. I highly recommend the John MacArthur One Year Bible as it reviews the major doctrines of the Bible. Reading, studying and meditating on the Scriptures will give you a better understanding of the God Who has saved you from the fire. You will get to know His Eternal and Divine attributes.
And when I say “meditate” I’m not referring to the popular pagan type spiritualism. It means while you are reading and the Holy Spirit leads you key passages you reflect and pray on the text.

3. What does your church life look like? Do have a church? If so is it Sunday and done or are you active in church ministries. Like small group studies, women’s Bible study, church outreach to the community? There are others I’m sure. If you have not found a church I can offer tips to evaluating local churches on line before you show up.

4. Who are you surrounding yourself with? Mostly unbelievers? Mostly believers? A mix? I know there are some people you just can’t keep out of your life like co-workers, fellow students, family. But where you have a choice are you making the right friend and significant other choices?

Like I said, not judging. I don’t know you. What I gave you are based on mistakes and failures I made in the past.

God is a gracious and He loves His children and won’t let go.

I usually don’t recommend books but two come to mind which may help.

The Gospel Centered Life—Robert Thune

The Cure—-John Lynch

• Agree
Reactions: As Hell Falls
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God would love to converse with you.

Who Wants to Have God Answer Prayers?

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I havent been able to go in a bit over a month & have wondered if it could be the lack of fellowship. I also am in bible college.

May I suggest two things.
That you ask why this college has not taught you that your Christian state has nothing to do with your feelings, but everything to do with Gods power.

2nd leave such a useless college that makes no attempt to educate you or look after you.
Has no one asked you at college what church was like on a monday?

Please, please talk to somebody with experience of councelling OCD.

On a simpler level go to church.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0