• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Feeling abandoned by God

BrokenGhost

Gospel Centered
Jun 16, 2006
Maryville, TN
Visit site
✟17,095.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been in a depression for going on 7-8 months now. I'm recently diagnosed bipolar, and am under a pdocs care. But I have been struggling with the fact that I feel very abandoned by God; every time it looks like things are starting to get brighter, and things get worse. Does anyone else struggle with faith in the dark times? How do you get through it?

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes they do, even those not diagnosed with bi-polar, even I am going through a dark night of the soul as I once heard it called, and its a very sad place to be, BUT, I will not loose hope, I will not loose my faith in Him, He is my healer, My God in whom I put all my trust. He is there when we don't feel as if He is, put your trust in Him and not in yourself, prayers for you :prayer:

0796a4542c538b0b830655cdfd50ebb9.jpg

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Keeping you in prayer BrokenGhost. I've been there, and it is hard.

I remind myself of the times when I have experienced the reality of God and that all other things have their own seasons which will pass; I read His promises in Scripture, reminding me of His steadfast love; and He has been good enough to provide people around me who will reflect His grace, goodness and love when He seems absent Himself.

Peace be with you, and joy.

Upvote 0

Walsinghsm Way

Jul 3, 2017
Metro Atlanta
Visit site
✟11,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Baruch Hashem for you BrokenGhost!

First, I offer you my prayers for your wellbeing, and for the God of truth to see you through this and all other dark times to come.

Having a wife with multiple congenital medical issues, and under a pdoc's care for a number of other diagnoses, I can tell you that you're not alone. Mental illneas of whatever caliber or origin can and does play havoc with our faith life, and at times we are left feeling exhausted and abandoned -but that is a lie of the Deceiver- and not gospel truth. The truth is you are loved, and are being held up by God's almighty power, with His angels at the ready.

It is wonderful that you are getting care -so many bipolar individuals don't (my sister-in-law for instance is one such person).

Never let anyone try to tell you that this condition is because of sin. (Well, ok it is, but only n in the general way that all disease and death is a consequence of Sin. Jesus put paid to the notion that a person's physical (or mental) ailment was necessarily due to their own personal sin.) I offer this because so many well-intentioned (and not so well-intentioned) Christians -even Christian care givers- act like Job's interlocutors around mental distress and illness even in the pastor's office or the Confessional booth.

As for how to get through this set of feelings: often the only way to get through the dark times is to get through them. Ps. 23 (22) says "yea though I walk *through* the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil". What's important here is that the Psalmist (traditionally David) says when we walk through the valley, not around, not stopping there , but walking -we are to keep on going. We are, all of us, stumbling toward holiness, one footfall at a time, whethere or not we are physically or mentally "normal"

It's cliché to bring up the "Footprints" poem, but there is much comfort in it, though I have often wondered how the man could not know that he wasn't doing the walking, it doesn't change the reality that God will not abandon us. If He doesn't abandon His holy martyrs though condemned to death, how could we expect Him not to remain with us in our trials?

Upvote 0

LaraLara

1 leptofrofron + 1 leptofrafran = 1 leptofrofran
Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been in a depression for going on 7-8 months now. I'm recently diagnosed bipolar, and am under a pdocs care. But I have been struggling with the fact that I feel very abandoned by God; every time it looks like things are starting to get brighter, and things get worse. Does anyone else struggle with faith in the dark times? How do you get through it?

In depressions your view in the world can be very different up to the point that you go delusional. I do not want to say that disbelieve in god is delusional (many say believe is) but when you are in better phases you will propably find it easier to believe. You will be more your old self.

Upvote 0