Feel like I'm wasting away at school

S

Seraphim19

Today, I felt for the first time how meaningless all my classes are. I say this because what I am studying doesn't give me opportunities to advance Christ's kingdom. I am a music major, and all day, everything revolves around studying music, practicing, and dreaming of music. Yes I love music. Yes I am a good musician with lots of potential. But I just got to thinking today, isn't there something more valuable I can do with my short life (like doing missionary work, and spreading the love of Jesus to those who don't know him) other than work all day long for something as meaningless as music?

These thoughts are sucking the passion out of music for me. And if anyone here is a music major, you know how much work and passion go into it.

Reactions: joelbarrutia

fuzzyh

Jun 26, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟8,456.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Music can glorify God. Music can be taught to Christians to help them glorify God. Music can be taught to non-christians with an opportunity to show them Christ.

Advice:
Study the Bible with all your spare time.
Continue to study Music and use study time as worship to God.

Upvote 0

f U z ! o N

I fall like a sparrow and fly like a kite
Apr 20, 2005
Neptune
✟1,895.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Seraphim19 said:
Today, I felt for the first time how meaningless all my classes are. I say this because what I am studying doesn't give me opportunities to advance Christ's kingdom. I am a music major, and all day, everything revolves around studying music, practicing, and dreaming of music. Yes I love music. Yes I am a good musician with lots of potential. But I just got to thinking today, isn't there something more valuable I can do with my short life (like doing missionary work, and spreading the love of Jesus to those who don't know him) other than work all day long for something as meaningless as music?

These thoughts are sucking the passion out of music for me. And if anyone here is a music major, you know how much work and passion go into it.
i know exactly how you feel. i'm doing computer engineering and i feel like i'm wasting my life away doing nothing important at all. i've really been considering becoming a firefighter

Reactions: mikewould
Upvote 0

Shyguyelite

Purple Belt TKD
Jul 8, 2002
FL
Visit site
✟1,416.00
Faith
Christian
Hmmm.

There are alot of majors that, at first glance, only seem to have one purpose, and that is to get you in a career to get paid, in order to contribute to the continuity of this society.

However, undoubtedly, there are many uses for educated people of all types.

My chemistry major. I feel as if I am going to work in a lab, making nothing but soap for the rest of my life.

Just because what you do does not directly and immediately help others does not mean it can be used later in life to help others.

Well, thats what I keep telling myself, but I might become a police officer, or work for the FBI.

HECK YEA

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Doing missionary work and spreading the love of Jesus to those who don't know him isn't a career. It's an identity. As Christians, we are automatically ambassadors for Christ. It's not a position that some people are called to and others are not. It's part of us. We represent Christ, period.

That being said, God gives us different gifts and passions in order to spread his love and to be a missionary where he puts us or where he calls us. I know how you feel. Why study anything? Why have a wife? Why play music? Shouldn't we just all be like Paul and the apostles, selling everything we have to travel and plant churches. Well, I don't really know the answer to that, but I have to think that God exists in other professions, passions, and callings and I have to think that other profession, passions, and callings are ministries also. I think that there is a wrong way to think about it, in that we can just pick a career, do it, never say anything about Jesus to anyone, yet still be doing ministry because we're doing what we're passionate about. We need to talk about Jesus, definately. But there are a lot of musicians out there who need Jesus. They may never come to church...who will minister to them? Did you know that America is the third largest mission field in the world? We are missionaries wherever we go and whatever we do. I have to think that God can be found in practical, everyday things.

Upvote 0

2LivIsChrist

May 14, 2004
✟9,287.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think your wasting your time. God can use your gift with music, to reach people that no body else can reach. We don't need to go to the other side of the world to bring the good news. There are people right here in our own communities or work places that need Jesus. Pray about it, and ask God where he wants you to go, or where he wants you to be. God bless!

Upvote 0

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Seraphim19 said:

It sounds to me like God is calling you elsewhere. I was a broadcast major for a long time, and actually worked in big market radio professionally for a few years and was quite successful.

The problem was God had other plans for me. I initially got into radio and entertainment for selfish reasons - I wanted everyone to notice how great I was. My career in radio wasn't a complete waste of time - I learned many valuable lessons from it, as I'm sure you've learned many valuable lessons from time spent working with and appreciating music.

You have a big decision to make. Whatever path you choose in life, put God's desires ahead of your own. Music may be in your future, but it may not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahlovesChrist

May 31, 2006
Visit site
✟8,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I totally know what you're talking about. I had the same feelings Seraphim19 for my first year of college. I originally started out as an education major and I had the same feelings of wanting to do missionary work, feelings that I could glorify God more than I already was ^_^ . Yet, when you objectively stand back and look we can reach out to people in our sphere of influence. I also understand the dedication and time that you have to put into practice for music because I play the guitar and love music. Keep going strong because God gives us talents and desires to do what we love and what He loves us to do...

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him."
~Philippians 2:13

Another piece of advice my mom used to give me is that you never get this time back (in college) and to put all your effort in any situation (even with low motivation:eek: ). :D

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Rin4Christ

Jan 19, 2006
✟8,815.00
Faith
Methodist
Music itself can be and is a ministry. If you are doing music as an undergrad, have you consitered geting a masters degree in Chuch music? I know that my past few choir directors/music ministers have had masters degrees from seminary on liturgical music or something similar. (I'm not sure exactly what the programs were called.) You could use your musical talent to direct music in a church or write music for churches or even travel to start music ministrys in diffrent places. I don't know what your focus in music is (voice intermental etc) but I'm certain the talent could be used to glorify God.

Upvote 0

BlessedGent

Mar 12, 2006
In my parents House
Visit site
✟8,624.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
im in my first semester of college and already i feel as if i have been hit by a truck but always consider this time a chance for God's kingdom. I was at my college bible study last night and we just sat there and prayed over our mission fields knowing Satan would try his darndest to stop us. just dont worry and give satan a kick in the butt and go on.:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today, I felt for the first time how meaningless all my classes are. I say this because what I am studying doesn't give me opportunities to advance Christ's kingdom.
Having "been there, done that" I know that statement is completley, 100% untrue. Your "mission" is only limeted by your own comfort zone and observations. Any time you're around people is a possible situation to advance Christ's kingdom. Whether you're in class, studying, or walking to class. Opportunities surround us all day, every day. It's up to us to utilize our gifts/tallents to better take advantage of that.

I see nothing wrong with you studying/practicing music all the time. It is obvious it's a gift that God has given you. If your interest in it has decreased that's one thing. But to stop just because you think it can't reach people for Christ is nonsense. IMHO I say contiue working at your goal and perfecting your tallent! Being a musician is an incredible gift that very few people have.

And when I say you can take advantage of these opportunities I don't mean standing on your soap box and preaching to everyone. Maybe that's what it takes every now and then. But by living a life that reflects your identity in Christ often speaks much louder than self-professing yourself all the time.

I mean right now I'm a professional aviation photographer and pilot. Just because I'm not out photographing church/mission services, or flying medicine and Bibles out to some remote location certainly doesn't mean my work is "useless" to God! And the same goes for you. And by the way, I get A LOT of flack from people in Church for NOT wanting to be a "bush" pilot and fly missionarys around. Just not my cup-O-Tea.

And the ways you can use your tallent to bless people is completely endless! And it isn't unique to music. Any passion anyone has can be used to glorify God in the most unique, incredible way! If only we take the time, open our eyes, and find our niche to do it successfully.
Hmmm.

There are alot of majors that, at first glance, only seem to have one purpose, and that is to get you in a career to get paid, in order to contribute to the continuity of this society.

However, undoubtedly, there are many uses for educated people of all types.
That's very true!

Doing missionary work and spreading the love of Jesus to those who don't know him isn't a career. It's an identity...
Amen! I couldn't have said it better!

Just because you're not in some foregin country doesn't mean you're not doing anything for Christ. It frustrates me to see people think this, and especially the ones who promote that concept. You, just like everyone else in the world, are surrounded by unbelievers. Therefore, you're in "the mission field" 24/7/365.

Good luck on your adventures and passion in music! And try not to let the whole atmosphere of school bring you down. It can be a lot to take at times! :D

Upvote 0

chemica

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Don't forget that Jesus' full-time ministry was only for 3 years. God will know the best time for you.

Very interesting perspective. I had never thought about it that way.

If you really think about it, Jesus was a carpenter before he went into ministry. Nothing particularly faith oriented. I am studying engineering and don't think less of myself as a Christian.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

What is wrong with music? Be a musician for Christ? Or be in a band for Christ - play christian music.

Upvote 0