• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Feel like... I got the short end of the stick.

SuperHappyFunPony

Aug 4, 2005
Canada
✟15,351.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
First... I just want everyone to please believe what I'm saying and not just say, "she's paranoid" or... "she's probably nutso" or something. Because this is very real to me. Also, I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

This 'problem' that I have goes back to my Grandma and my Dad, we all have it but I seem to be particularily sensitive to it.

What it is is that, I'm very, very sensitive to "bad" and "evil" things around me. It sounds silly, probably but it's true.
Sometimes I just get an overwhelming feeling of darkness and unhappines and I know that there is something there with me. My dad has the same thing.

Sometimes it comes out of the blue and I just feel like crying because it's the worst feeling in the world. To be able to feel just, untamed, pure evil all around you. (It sounds like come kind of cheesy cartoon.)

I know that I'm not the one that makes the feelings... they come from outside sources. And once they're here it takes a long time for them to go awake, and I can be up for 2 or 3 days just trying to shake the feelings.

And, another thing is that I constantly suffer from nightmares. When I say constantly I mean usually 5/7 nights a week. Sometimes I'll have 3 or 4 nightmares in a night. On average people have 2 per year, not 5 a week.

And they aren't silly things like... going to school naked, or something. They're usually about demons and ghosts and people being murdered brutally, massacres, shootings, etc. And I always wake up in a panic because they are very real. And when I wake up I have those "bad feelings" My dad and grandma don't suffer from the nightmares, just me.

I don't watch scary movies, or read scary books or play scary games. I avoid those things because I'm a wimp and they make me feel ill. So I know it isn't from that kind of thing, it has to come from somewhere else.

I was hoping maybe someone has heard of this kind of thing before.

My father thinks that God has chosen me specially to be sensitive to this, but he doesn't know for what. He also thinks that maybe the Devil is trying especially hard to take me away from God so he puts these bad things around me and makes me have bad dreams. I don't know why Satan would be trying to get me so badly, or if that's even plausible...

I pray for God to give me good dreams every night but still I suffer from the nightmares. I feel like I'm very close to God and that I'm a good Christian, so I don't think it's a punishment type of thing either.

But I was hoping that maybe someone would have some kind of reassuring advice.

I'm sorry that this post is so long, and that my story seems far-fetched, but it's really starting to get to me.

People don't realize that there is always evil and bad things around because they can't feel them there, and I kind of wish I didn't feel them there either... I'm a really big wimp and I just can't deal with this sort of thing very well.

Thank you for any help or advice. ^^

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I somewhat understand how you feel, besides the nightmares part. I'm a bit sensitive to sin that happens around me, and all that stuff. I get quite... upset about it, loike when some 18 year old girl complains that she isn't having enough sex or something, very very... sad. I tend to feel sympathy for people like that, but I also feel sick to the stomach, like YUCK! Know what I mean... I think that's not a bad thing at all, friend, I think God is definitely using this to His advantage. You can glorify Him more becuase you see the world through His eyes, it's an awesome gift.

As for the dreams, if you read the bible, there have been a lot of people who have had horrible dreams, and they turned out to be prophecies about things to come. It's quite a possibility that you are having these, God is allowing you to have nightmares because maybe He's trying to tell you waht may happen. All that you need to pray for is that God brings you an interpreter of dreams (surely, he/she would have to be a believer as well, otherwise, it would just be nonsensical things that they say).

God is using you for an awesome purpose, and look to Him for everything. Bring those nightmares to God, may God reveal to you waht they mean.

May Christ be with you,

Randy

P.S. My answer may also seem farfetched, but when I read your post, I just couldn't help but think about Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar. It's truly an awesome story, I suggest you read it. The book of Daniel in the bible is what I speak of.

Upvote 0

SuperHappyFunPony

Aug 4, 2005
Canada
✟15,351.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.
The only problem, Croc, is that I've tried to watch those movies with friends and play those games but I'm not physically able to. It's kinda of like, introducing myself to a mild heart attack or panic attack.

And if I immerse myself in those kinds of things it kind of... like, heightens my awareness about the bad things in real life and then I'm left feeling those things around me for hours or days until they leave me alone. I don't really want an excuse to go looking for the bad things.

I guess if I try it in small doses It may eventually work. But small doses is the best I can do. ^^;

Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

Wildwood

Jun 11, 2005
✟1,023.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds like you are being harassed by an evil spirit that is a generational curse. You need to talk to a pastor who can pray with you about this. I'll pray for you too, that God will fill your bedroom with warrior angels and that he will show you that you have authority in the name of Jesus Christ to command the evil spirits to leave you.

God does give some people the gift of discernment (sensing good and evil), and He does use dreams, but the Bible says that He has not given you the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and a sound mind.

Upvote 0

SuperHappyFunPony

Aug 4, 2005
Canada
✟15,351.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Wildwood said:
It sounds like you are being harassed by an evil spirit that is a generational curse. You need to talk to a pastor who can pray with you about this. I'll pray for you too, that God will fill your bedroom with warrior angels and that he will show you that you have authority in the name of Jesus Christ to command the evil spirits to leave you.

God does give some people the gift of discernment (sensing good and evil), and He does use dreams, but the Bible says that He has not given you the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and a sound mind.

Thank you very much! I feel better after reading what you wrote. And thank you for praying for me. It's comforting to to hear that.

And I think maybe it's a good idea to talk to a pastor... We've just gotten a new one at my church last week so maybe after I get to know him better I'll ask him about it.

Thank you again! You made me feel stronger and more empowered about my situation. :)

Upvote 0

Iridescent

Apr 19, 2005
West Coast
✟157.00
Faith
Nazarene
You sound like you are going through exactly what I went my whole life until a few years ago. Yes I do believe that some people are very sensitive to feelings, vibrations...I don't really know how to explain it. I know this because I went through it..the same thing, having the nightmares, the bad feelings, the fear...I was terrified of the dark, absolutely convinced that I was going to be murdered, etc, etc. I had the worst dreams and they were so vivid and they didn't feel like they came from me. And I felt like I could feel things-at the time I was sure that I could sense ghosts. I have changed since I became a Christian and I don't believe in ghosts anymore but I know the things I felt weren't my imagination. I know how scary this all feels. I want to tell you what really helped me, and I hope you hear me without taking offense. First of all, please don't take the advice about trying to desensitize yourself by watching scary movies and reading horror novels. It will make you a thousand times worse, trust me. You may also want to consider that you may have an anxiety disorder. I do and I know it doesn't explain everything that happened to me but it sure aggravated the problem. If you do have an anxiety disorder a good therapist can help you. The most important thing is this: if you are honest with yourself you know deep down there is a part of you that doesn't want to let this go. You may feel that your sensitivity makes you special...I know I did, and other people were very intrigued by the things I sensed and what I saw in my dreams. But there came a point where I had to choose: my sanity or my 'gift'. I had to let it go. I still am a very sensitive person but I felt like I was an open door for most of my life and I had to close that door. If the Lord wants me to have a dream or a foretelling He gives it to me, but it's very rare now. Put your trust in God and He will protect you. Don't give any other force power over you. Demons don't have control-God has control. Give it back to Him. *hugs*

Upvote 0
J

Jamste

First... I just want everyone to please believe what I'm saying and not just say, "she's paranoid" or... "she's probably nutso" or something. Because this is very real to me. Also, I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

This 'problem' that I have goes back to my Grandma and my Dad, we all have it but I seem to be particularily sensitive to it.

What it is is that, I'm very, very sensitive to "bad" and "evil" things around me. It sounds silly, probably but it's true.
Sometimes I just get an overwhelming feeling of darkness and unhappines and I know that there is something there with me. My dad has the same thing.

Sometimes it comes out of the blue and I just feel like crying because it's the worst feeling in the world. To be able to feel just, untamed, pure evil all around you. (It sounds like come kind of cheesy cartoon.)

I know that I'm not the one that makes the feelings... they come from outside sources. And once they're here it takes a long time for them to go awake, and I can be up for 2 or 3 days just trying to shake the feelings.

And, another thing is that I constantly suffer from nightmares. When I say constantly I mean usually 5/7 nights a week. Sometimes I'll have 3 or 4 nightmares in a night. On average people have 2 per year, not 5 a week.

And they aren't silly things like... going to school naked, or something. They're usually about demons and ghosts and people being murdered brutally, massacres, shootings, etc. And I always wake up in a panic because they are very real. And when I wake up I have those "bad feelings" My dad and grandma don't suffer from the nightmares, just me.

I don't watch scary movies, or read scary books or play scary games. I avoid those things because I'm a wimp and they make me feel ill. So I know it isn't from that kind of thing, it has to come from somewhere else.

I was hoping maybe someone has heard of this kind of thing before.

My father thinks that God has chosen me specially to be sensitive to this, but he doesn't know for what. He also thinks that maybe the Devil is trying especially hard to take me away from God so he puts these bad things around me and makes me have bad dreams. I don't know why Satan would be trying to get me so badly, or if that's even plausible...

I pray for God to give me good dreams every night but still I suffer from the nightmares. I feel like I'm very close to God and that I'm a good Christian, so I don't think it's a punishment type of thing either.

But I was hoping that maybe someone would have some kind of reassuring advice.

I'm sorry that this post is so long, and that my story seems far-fetched, but it's really starting to get to me.

People don't realize that there is always evil and bad things around because they can't feel them there, and I kind of wish I didn't feel them there either... I'm a really big wimp and I just can't deal with this sort of thing very well.

I have a friend with the same issue and i've heard a similar testimony. It may be the Devil trying to instill in you a spirit of fear (when i say spirit i dont mean demon). And God has spoken to people through dreams before so it may also be that.

Always remember however that God loves u and has not given u a spirit of fear but of love and a sound mind.

God bless, walk in love

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SuperHappyFunPony

Aug 4, 2005
Canada
✟15,351.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Instead of making a huge number of posts I'm going to reply to everyone seperately here.

Iridescent: Thank you for your advice. I'm not offended at all, I'm going to listen to anything people are willing to say to me.
I think that what you're saying could be partly true, but I would never have connected the two. I did suffer from clinical depression and occasional anxiety attacks about 3 years ago. Through the help of medication and councelling I've overcome that stage in my life for the most part. If you think that anxiety could be contributing to my problem I will certainly look into it.
I know that because my father and Grandmother have also had similar experiences that anxiety couldn't be it completely, but you may be right and it could be heightening the experience and making it worse.
Thank you for taking the time to reply and help me! *hugs*

mikeforjesus: I've looked into nightterrors in the past but maybe I should research it further, since I'm not completely clear on what defines nightterrors from nightmares. Thank you for your suggestion!

Jamste: Thank you for your words of encouragement, I'll really take that to heart. I know deep down that God is always protecting me. But it's hard to not be a little scared sometimes. ^^

Johnnz: Actually, having a bit of a psychic streak runs in my family. My Great-Aunt Marg, my Grandmother (my mum's mum), my mother and myself all have that kind of ability, but it varying degrees and in the actual form it takes.
My aunt and my mother both share the ability to know when something has happened to a loved one. They get "feelings" and they always are true.
My grandmother and I, however, share the ability to have dreams that come true. Or when awake... I guess the best way to describe it is like, a lightbulb going off in my head and something just sort of flashes at me, and then those things happen. These abilities aren't controlled by me, or by any of the other women in the family, they just happen.

Being Spiritually aware is something that is shared with My grandmother (dad's mum), my father and myself.

I'm the only one that suffers with the nightmares, however. Which is why I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with some sort of explanation... and I'm glad so many people have taken an interest and tried to help. Thank you ^^

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
One point: if you have any gift that might be powerfully used in God's service I do believe the devil will try to restrain you from using it productively. The form of attack can vary depending on the gift. How you specifically work to overcome this also varies. I have a very caring nature, but due to some things that have happened I don't open up and use it near as much as I could. I do not wish to go into how this has been accomplished, but there was a lot of pain involved. The only way to overcome is to pray and seek God and also seek to serve God with what you can give and can do.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi,

Thanks for that information. I would suggest that you have a spiritual inheritance within your family that passes down through the female side. Outside of Christ that spiritual influence will be wrongly sourced. The most common source of 'premonitions' such as you described is a familar spirit, which is not from God.

You need to take a stand against that. PM me of just ask on the forum if you want some guidance on that.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
When you have those feelings start praying right then. Don't wait. Pray for Jesus to come and give you strength to protect yourself from the evil ones who are trying to influence you. You are sensitive and it would be best for you to ask God to help you hone those sensitivities so you can better control them. It doesn't do you or anyone else any good to be scared all the time! :thumbsup:
Take deep breaths and try to relax before you pray. That will help. Also, don't do the scary movie thing...bad idea! Fighting fire with fire won't help you here. The advice to talk to a pastor is good. Talk to more than one! Some pastors are more knowledgeable than others when it comes to stuff like this. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
SuperHappyFunPony said:

Hi there Pony! I love the screenname and it's a shame that someone who obviously thinks so wonderfully of things to pick that kind of name has to suffer what you describe.

When I was younger i also experienced horrific and extremely vivid nightmares like you describe. I mean downright face-white, clenched fists waking up in sweat terror!

Now what worked for me to get them under control may not work for you, but it's a suggestion of something to try.

When it became hard for me to get to sleep because of the dreams, I started rolling my eyes back as far as I could while I was laying in bed. I mean with my eyes closed I would try and look 'up' as far as I could. Somehow, this exhausted me so much that whenever I did it I didn't dream. Eventually, after some time of doing this I pretty much just stopped dreaming altogether. Now I only have maybe 3-4 dreams I remember per year and those are usually nice dreams.

Like I said, it might not help you at all. But it's something you can give a try and see if it works.

I'll be praying for you!

Upvote 0

Mommabear4

Mar 1, 2019
Tampa
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, I'm new here and I literally found your board while googling about something else and had to join because of it. I'm currently going through this and I found what works for me. I usually only get the feeling when I'm in the shower( where I do most of my praying with little ones running around) I found that when I say calmly outloud, "this is the Lord's house, only the righteous will be in here." and its like I can feel the weight lift off my chest.

As for the nightmares If you have found anything that works please pass it on, I can't take these images, my heart just feels broken. I'm so grateful for Jesus I cling to him so hard through those dreams

Upvote 0