Indiana
✟14,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recently it's felt like I haven't loved God enough, if at all. Whenever I read His Word, I feel my teeth grit at some parts and weird facial expressions I can't really describe. While they most often happen when I read of His holiness (and I am very scared of Him, I am still coming to terms with being at peace with Him), I just feel like it expresses something deeper in my heart that even I am not privy to, and that there lurks an unlove for Him in my soul. While I am aware that the flesh is still at war with Him and that as a young believer I have yet to even love Him as I ought, I really don't like these cues. I don't rejoice in His victory and glory as I ought (likely because I still think that involves me losing) and it scares me.

I've decided to pray on the matter and seek scripture whenever it pops up. Should I keep to this, or do you folks have any other ideas in mind?

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes that’s a good idea.
It’s hard to feel all lovey dovey for a God with such a high standard. But Jesus said if you love me you will keep my word. Obey Him. Pray, read go to church, fellowship and learn the limits of your feelings and become a doer of the word.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am sorry you are going through a hard time reading the Bible the way you are. I do not know what to say other than have you talked to your pastor/priest about this?

Upvote 0

scaredtodeath

Jul 26, 2022
Indiana
✟14,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry you are going through a hard time reading the Bible the way you are. I do not know what to say other than have you talked to your pastor/priest about this?
am a new believer so I don't really have a church to go to yet, still looking for one + I can't go if my mother doesn't take me

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems these doubting times happen periodically. Some refer to them as wilderness experiences, pruning, or valleys. It's not easy but it's one way we become overcomers (Rom 8:37). As above posters stated, there's love for Him or you wouldn't be here posting concern, we're sorry that you're going through this but encourage you to stay the course.

These rough times cause us to rely on God more. Realizing to a greater degree, He is our refuge, our rock, our deliverer (Psa 62 & 71, II Sam 22:2).

Also, when those doubting thoughts and reactions come, immediately think on His Word (II Cor 10:5). What's your favorite sword - I mean Scriptures? When doubts come my way, I say Lord, I trust You and Your Word, Your Word is truth, I praise You, and thank you for your grace and your love! (Based on Psa 119:7, 42, 160, Eph 6:10-18, II Cor 13:14) and say the Lord's Prayer

After this period, one thing for sure the end result will be - as you stay the course, you
will be even stronger in Him because He promises, He'll draw close to you-

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." James 4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟95,699.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @scaredtodeath

Recently it's felt like I haven't loved God enough

You say "recently". What changed recently in your life or behaviour around the same time you felt the change in your attitude towards our Father?

Whenever I read His Word, I feel my teeth grit at some parts and weird facial expressions I can't really describe.

At what particular passages (just a couple of examples)? If you cannot describe the facial expressions, what do they feel like if you had to give them a word?

I've decided to pray on the matter and seek scripture whenever it pops up. Should I keep to this, or do you folks have any other ideas in mind?

It's never a bad thing to pray and read the Scriptures. May everyone of us continue to do so daily.

Nevertheless, I feel like that you might be "starting on the wrong foot" in your understanding. And so reading Scripture may be bothersome for you and prayer seem like a chore.

If you had to sum up the biggest barrier between you and God in one sentence, what would it be?

Peace

Reactions: scaredtodeath
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Recently it's felt like I haven't loved God enough, if at all. Whenever I read His Word, I feel my teeth grit at some parts and weird facial expressions I can't really describe. While they most often happen when I read of His holiness (and I am very scared of Him, I am still coming to terms with being at peace with Him), I just feel like it expresses something deeper in my heart that even I am not privy to, and that there lurks an unlove for Him in my soul. While I am aware that the flesh is still at war with Him and that as a young believer I have yet to even love Him as I ought, I really don't like these cues. I don't rejoice in His victory and glory as I ought (likely because I still think that involves me losing) and it scares me.

Welcome to CF. Have you recieved His Holy Spirit?
Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think we have times where we feel we are not deserving of His love .... and this is true .... even though we don't deserve it He does in fact love us unconditionally and that is most comforting.

When we feel we are not deserving of His love ... that is the lie of satan at work because it is condemning and he is the great accuser.

God, on the other hand is the still small voice that says ... there is a better way to live ... come and follow me and I will give you rest .... He calls for change .... and He helps us to change .... we are being transformed back into His image, and that process continues throughout our earthly life ... but .... He will finish His work.

Philippians 1:6

New Living Translation
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

We can be certain .... what a wonderful promise ... thank you Jesus! AMEN!

so when satan says "Does God really love you unconditionally?" ... then the response should be ..... Shut up satan .... away from me ... yes God does love me unconditionally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scaredtodeath

Jul 26, 2022
Indiana
✟14,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @scaredtodeath

You say "recently". What changed recently in your life or behaviour around the same time you felt the change in your attitude towards our Father?

At what particular passages (just a couple of examples)? If you cannot describe the facial expressions, what do they feel like if you had to give them a word?

It's never a bad thing to pray and read the Scriptures. May everyone of us continue to do so daily.

Nevertheless, I feel like that you might be "starting on the wrong foot" in your understanding. And so reading Scripture may be bothersome for you and prayer seem like a chore.

If you had to sum up the biggest barrier between you and God in one sentence, what would it be?

Peace

Not much to be honest. There was a brief time at what I believe was my initial conversion (1 month ago) that I felt a love my mother and family that I had never felt before, but that was only for a while, although thank God some of it is still there and the desire for it is too. (I am a recovering rebel teen) I certainly don't treat the Father as flippantly and although I fear that I pray out of fear, I do pray that He would teach me how to come Him earnestly and not for my own sake, don't know how far out something like that is tho. As for the facial expressions, it's mostly just the ones where He speaks of His immense power and inescapability. The expression is inexplainable because it's not really an expression, it's the tension of one and it almost feels like a sneer. (tension at the nostril) For barriers, I'd honestly just say not knowing what my heart's desires and thoughts regarding Him are. I can say that I am His servant and that He is my God and that I want to do His will but I don't know what the heart's feelings are regarding Him.

Welcome to CF. Have you recieved His Holy Spirit?
Blessings

Hope I can say yes lol

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not much to be honest. There was a brief time at what I believe was my initial conversion (1 month ago) that I felt a love my mother and family that I had never felt before, but that was only for a while, although thank God some of it is still there and the desire for it is too. (I am a recovering rebel teen) I certainly don't treat the Father as flippantly and although I fear that I pray out of fear, I do pray that He would teach me how to come Him earnestly and not for my own sake, don't know how far out something like that is tho. As for the facial expressions, it's mostly just the ones where He speaks of His immense power and inescapability. The expression is inexplainable because it's not really an expression, it's the tension of one and it almost feels like a sneer. (tension at the nostril) For barriers, I'd honestly just say not knowing what my heart's desires and thoughts regarding Him are. I can say that I am His servant and that He is my God and that I want to do His will but I don't know what the heart's feelings are regarding Him.

Hope I can say yes lol

the feelings are not so important. don’t go by your feelings they are of the flesh which doesn’t want God. It can’t please him. Go by your need your desire for the lord. As a new Christian read your Bible. He will speak to your heart and help you and further you. Greg Laurie says you don’t have to analyze your feelings. When they happen you can take them captive as in 2Cor 10:3-5. But don’t trust them for the truth. Do what God says in His Word.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
am a new believer so I don't really have a church to go to yet, still looking for one + I can't go if my mother doesn't take me

Praying you find answers. Gritting your teeth when reading scripture sounds quite serious to me.

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟95,699.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a brief time at what I believe was my initial conversion (1 month ago) that I felt a love my mother and family that I had never felt before, but that was only for a while, although thank God some of it is still there and the desire for it is too. (I am a recovering rebel teen)

I see. What was it that brought you to God?

I certainly don't treat the Father as flippantly and although I fear that I pray out of fear, I do pray that He would teach me how to come Him earnestly and not for my own sake, don't know how far out something like that is tho.

Fearing the Father and being cautious in your prayers is wise. There are far too many out there that treat the Father casually but that's not the appropriate attitude. So your attitude of fear towards Him is wise.

Over time the fear will be eclipsed with love. Only don't compare your walk and state to other Christians and think "I should be feeling this, I should be like that". If you feel in awe or in fear of Him, you are starting an exciting journey of getting to know Him! So be brave, be strong, approach Him with reverence and respect (as you are), read the Word regularly and listen carefully always with your heart. In time, the relationship will grow and solidify, providing you commit your ways to following His ways.

Psalm 119:9 "How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word."

As for the facial expressions, it's mostly just the ones where He speaks of His immense power and inescapability. The expression is inexplainable because it's not really an expression, it's the tension of one and it almost feels like a sneer. (tension at the nostril)

Would you say it's tension as in scared or tension as in anger? Flaring of nostrils can typically be associated with aggression. It might be that a particular passage comes across strangely to you I suppose. But any more you can share about this would help me see what may be happening, Yahweh willing.

For barriers, I'd honestly just say not knowing what my heart's desires and thoughts regarding Him are. I can say that I am His servant and that He is my God and that I want to do His will but I don't know what the heart's feelings are regarding Him.

I see. The heart can be very confusing and deceptive, even to ourselves! The most important thing is "who is in the driver's seat?" - your flesh or your spirit? Your flesh does not want to submit to the Law of Yahweh as it's not convenient for it. In fact, everything about Yahweh's way and the words of Yeshua isn't particularly pleasant for the flesh. However, the opposite is true of the spirit.

It seems that you have made the spiritual choice to be His servant and recognise that He is your God. HalleluYah. You have made the right move brother! Now, your flesh will try to convince you otherwise, but don't let it take "the driver's seat". In time, your flesh will come to be in more subordinate to your spirit but that will be no easy battle. Romans 7:7-25 may bring you some peace on this matter.

But there is a way to help your walk become easier. I would advise to seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit, above all things. The experience and process is different for everyone it seems (so don't let anyone convince you that it has to be accompanied with speaking in tongues). You will know when it happens. If you are wondering if it has happened, then it hasn't. You will know. It may not happen immediately, it may take weeks, months or years but whatever you do - seek this above all things. Luke 11:5-13 encourages us to keep asking for this until we get it, so don't feel bad for pursuing this. But do pursue it.

Thank you for your reply and your honesty.

May the Most High bless you with wisdom, strength, insight and the Holy Spirit, in the name of our Lord Yeshua.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

scaredtodeath

Jul 26, 2022
Indiana
✟14,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see. What was it that brought you to God?

Fearing the Father and being cautious in your prayers is wise. There are far too many out there that treat the Father casually but that's not the appropriate attitude. So your attitude of fear towards Him is wise.

Over time the fear will be eclipsed with love. Only don't compare your walk and state to other Christians and think "I should be feeling this, I should be like that". If you feel in awe or in fear of Him, you are starting an exciting journey of getting to know Him! So be brave, be strong, approach Him with reverence and respect (as you are), read the Word regularly and listen carefully always with your heart. In time, the relationship will grow and solidify, providing you commit your ways to following His ways.

Psalm 119:9 "How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word."

Would you say it's tension as in scared or tension as in anger? Flaring of nostrils can typically be associated with aggression. It might be that a particular passage comes across strangely to you I suppose. But any more you can share about this would help me see what may be happening, Yahweh willing.

I see. The heart can be very confusing and deceptive, even to ourselves! The most important thing is "who is in the driver's seat?" - your flesh or your spirit? Your flesh does not want to submit to the Law of Yahweh as it's not convenient for it. In fact, everything about Yahweh's way and the words of Yeshua isn't particularly pleasant for the flesh. However, the opposite is true of the spirit.

It seems that you have made the spiritual choice to be His servant and recognise that He is your God. HalleluYah. You have made the right move brother! Now, your flesh will try to convince you otherwise, but don't let it take "the driver's seat". In time, your flesh will come to be in more subordinate to your spirit but that will be no easy battle. Romans 7:7-25 may bring you some peace on this matter.

But there is a way to help your walk become easier. I would advise to seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit, above all things. The experience and process is different for everyone it seems (so don't let anyone convince you that it has to be accompanied with speaking in tongues). You will know when it happens. If you are wondering if it has happened, then it hasn't. You will know. It may not happen immediately, it may take weeks, months or years but whatever you do - seek this above all things. Luke 11:5-13 encourages us to keep asking for this until we get it, so don't feel bad for pursuing this. But do pursue it.

Thank you for your reply and your honesty.

May the Most High bless you with wisdom, strength, insight and the Holy Spirit, in the name of our Lord Yeshua.

Peace.

Was mainly brought due to fear of some dark thoughts that were attacking me, but I have faith He'll fight them now. Many thanks for the Romans 7 recommendation, they certainly make me feel less bad about some of my sins (temper, laziness etc) that they're just vestiges of the flesh and I'll just have to keep praying regarding them.

• Agree
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Jord1999

Aug 8, 2022
Manchester
✟15,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally I know for a fact that even if I lived for 400 years I couldn't love God the way he loved me. The Bible says that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Proverbs 1:7

Philippines 4:6 Be anxious in nothing but in prayer with supplication with Thanksgiving let your request be known onto the Lord and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and mind through Christ Jesus.

Like others have said you have to take this before the Lord and he will reveal what's going on with you because he knows all things.
As a believer of Jesus Christ you need the Holy Spirit to guide you and convict you. For its promised through the prophet Joel 2:28-32.

Upvote 0