• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Feel guilty for accepting intrusive thoughts

Sep 11, 2021
Rathernot
✟18,076.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I've had really nasty intrusive thoughts lately, and I read online that you should just try to agree with them and move on. So I purposely thought that I agree with them, and I now feel really guilty because they're horrible. I just read online that you can just accept their presence instead, which makes me feel even more guilty.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had really nasty intrusive thoughts lately, and I read online that you should just try to agree with them and move on. So I purposely thought that I agree with them, and I now feel really guilty because they're horrible. I just read online that you can just accept their presence instead, which makes me feel even more guilty.

You know what i found with intrusive thoughts? i would seek the love of God to help me fight those horrible guilty and fearful feelings. Accepting God's grace, and focussing on His loving truth, rather than the intrusive thoughts, was the very best way to deal with them.

Intrusive thoughts seem to go away when you just accept that wrong also lives in us and that this is what Jesus came to safe us from.

i realised very quickly that the more faith in God's love i could muster, the the quicker those intrusive lost their power over me.

So please do also accept God's grace in your life, and instead of dining on those horrible intrusive thoughts, bringing you misery, focus on the loving truth of Jesus setting you free from them.

The more of God's graceful you digest, the calmer your mind will become. Over the years the growing love of God has taken me from having lots of intrusive thoughts, to being intrusive thought free.

For the love of God drove away the confusion, insecurity and fears living in me with the blood of Christ.

So glad Jesus taught me to trust God's loving truth. For the love of God gives us the ability to survive mental illness, and even grow stronger from it.

Please place your faith in God's love even now.

Peace.

A poem i wrote about one of those battles to stay in God's love while attacked by my anxieties.

Fear Holds Fast
Fear grabs hold with iron grip
the evil quick confusion sowing
birthing terrorising conditions
harvesting my faithless heart.

My doubt and unbelief peaking
hopes and dreams going up in flames
my goals a catastrophe unfolding
earthquakes shattering my defence.

Feel that loveless grip ramming
cruel enemies rejoicing victory
running through my broken gates
watching the raging fires burning.

A mess in my dwelling place
hair raising shadows casting
fears fuelling my insecurities
shamefully exposing weakness.

My Good life plundering
those torches of darkness
roasting me for dinner
serving the wicked feasting.

My God, My God i thirst!
i forsook your loving truth.
holding onto those lies hurting.
Please can You be my truth?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF dear friend :)

Perhaps Gods' Word can help.....

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Mark 14:38 Watch you and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

James 4:7-8 [7], Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. [8], Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double minded.

2 Peter 1:3-4 [3], According as his divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that has called us to glory and virtue: [4], Whereby are given to us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these you might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

God bless

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand the struggle. I've wrestled before with knowing how to best deal with intrusive thoughts. Something that helps me is to visualize them being like waves. They just come, and go, and I don't have to do anything to battle them, but that doesn't mean I'm agreeing with them either. I'm just treating them like something that doesn't really affect me. Now, some therapists would probably advise you to agree with them, but I don't think that's necessary either. Just treat them as "white noise," and as you do, that noise will gradually fade and you likely won't "hear" your intrusive thoughts nearly as much. But I don't think it's an awful thing that you agreed with them, because you're just trying to learn the best way to deal with your thoughts. Now you know a way that fits better with your conscience, so my advice would be to ask forgiveness if you feel like you've done something wrong, and move forward with your new plan of "accepting" instead of "agreeing." Does that make sense?

Upvote 0