Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just a bit. I repair computers (including over the internet) and try to keep up with things. I don't know that I would use this feature, but I find the technicals interesting. One problem I can foresee is mixed modes in threads. Those using audio without text would be unreadable to those not wanting to listen, and that would create voids in the flow of the convo.
That's true. I would kind of scratch my head and wonder why they wouldn't [listen] though. I'm glad you brought that up though. Now I want to learn more about peoples posting and reading etiquettes. If I don't pop back in here while y'all are still online; thanks again for your input. And have a nice night.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would kind of scratch my head and wonder why they wouldn't [listen] though.

I certainly wouldn't want to listen to some guy talking into a microphone. I would skip any thread where that was necessary.

Upvote 0

Motherofkittens

Jan 20, 2017
iowa
✟50,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I certainly wouldn't want to listen to some guy talking into a microphone. I would skip any thread where that was necessary.

And some people are deaf or deaf-ish and have auditory processing disorders or they write better than they speak or they aren't very good at understanding even slight accents or are so socially anxious that just hearing voices is stress inducing, some people will be probably horrible at it and/or have bad microphones, some people are just stickers for routines and this is how they do it, etc.

I think for more of the lighter threads that could be nice and fun. But for heated debates? I am thinking no, as well as for the reasons listed above.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
or they write better than they speak

It really is a different approach. The benefit of voice is inflection, which says a lot. The benefit of text is that you can plan your thoughts out logically, and then edit your writing for succinctness and maximum communicative effect. It seems a lot of people haven't gotten a vision of that yet, but it is there. Now take those same people and give them a mic, and for many it would be doubtful that they would plan and edit what they say beforehand. Though there would be exceptions, it would be largely spontaneous. In short, voice is a powerful medium when used well, but I doubt it would be used well very often.

Also, on the technical side, I'm not finding any site where .mp3 files are linked as such. They all munge the url into something unrecognizable, and xenforo is not recognizing them as mp3s. Perhaps the available xenforo plugin would recognize the target based on MIME rather than file extension, in which case it would work.

@Bortsss
To OP: This is actually more than a new forum request. I would suggest you post over at "questions for CF" and link to this thread, so the authorities and tech person can see it.

Upvote 0