Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know all things are possible. But my question is regarding how much bandwidth/server load it would take to add something like this on to the forum threads.

My idea would be for CF to program a feature on the forum software to let posters record audio (length duration is up for discussion) This option would ideally be available for each post that a user is allowed to make in open threads. But to keep the load down, each recording would only be stored on the server for a certain period of time before it expired and is automatically deleted.

Just a thought.

Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What would be the point of this feature?
-more interesting engagement between posters
-more members which means more financial backing

To put it pointedly, CF needs to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to creativity and what's actually out there to improve the quality of the boards. think about it. there are other reasons why the owner should consider this as it pertains to advertising too, but i'm going to leave it at that.

Disclaimer: I've just been a happy user of CF for years. I have no horse in this.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It would add a whole lot of load and storage requirements. You can upload a voice file to your ~dropbox~ and link to it now. It certainly would transform the feeling of the site in a big way if it caught on. I think I personally like plain text better, but occasional voice chat could be another story.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟61,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know all things are possible. But my question is regarding how much bandwidth/server load it would take to add something like this on to the forum threads.

My idea would be for CF to program a feature on the forum software to let posters record audio (length duration is up for discussion) This option would ideally be available for each post that a user is allowed to make in open threads. But to keep the load down, each recording would only be stored on the server for a certain period of time before it expired and is automatically deleted.

Just a thought.
I wouldn't use it and wouldn't like it.

• Winner
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't use it and wouldn't like it.
Regardless if you would use it or not. Why wouldn't you like it? I have a hard time thinking you or anyone would not like it. But I'm open to hear your reasons for not though.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟61,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Regardless if you would use it or not. Why wouldn't you like it? I have a hard time thinking you or anyone would not like it. But I'm open to hear your reasons for not though.
I'm happy typing and reading, and some people are going to speak with accents.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For those wondering how it could be done:
  1. Set up a dropbox account.
  2. record a voice file and upload it to that account.
  3. get a public link for the file.
  4. post the link here for ppl to click on if they wish.
There may be better sites than dropbox for this, that will allow playing the file online without downloading it separately.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟326,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For those wondering how it could be done:
  1. Set up a dropbox account.
  2. record a voice file and upload it to that account.
  3. get a public link for the file.
  4. post the link here for ppl to click on if they wish.
There may be better sites than dropbox for this, that will allow playing the file online without downloading it separately.

Can the audio play in the post or you have to click the link which opens a new tab?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Can the audio play in the post or you have to click the link which opens a new tab?

In that case, you would have to click an external link. Youtube videos are an exception to that rule, as the player manifests right in the post. I don't know if any audio sites work that way.

Upvote 0

Motherofkittens

Jan 20, 2017
iowa
✟50,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Well one is because then people can verbally SCREAM at you. It is stressing enough just reading it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ok, I ran a test and currently CF does not manifest an audio player in the post, so the reader would have to follow an external link. However, there exists an addon for the xenforo platform that will automatically manifest a .mp3 player the same way the youtube player works now. It's at Audio, and it would look like this:

pic001-jpg.79669

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
56 am I to old for this.
That's interesting and what I figured. No offense to you or those of older generations but yes, this idea is geared to those a little younger than you all. However, the learning curve (in case you did want to participate) would be virtually non-existent. All you would need is a mic and something to say. Lol

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I ran a test and currently CF does not manifest an audio player in the post, so the reader would have to follow an external link. However, there exists an addon for the xenforo platform that will automatically manifest a .mp3 player the same way the youtube player works now. It's at Audio, and it would look like this:

pic001-jpg.79669
I perceive you have some knowledge in programming or computer tech. :)

Upvote 0

paul1149

Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I perceive you have some knowledge in programming or computer tech. :)
Just a bit. I repair computers (including over the internet) and try to keep up with things. I don't know that I would use this feature, but I find the technicals interesting. One problem I can foresee is mixed modes in threads. Those using audio without text would be unreadable to those not wanting to listen, and that would create voids in the flow of the convo.

Upvote 0