Federal Law Enforcement Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab Protesters Off Portland Streets

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Why not?

A violent, antisemitic mob smashes up or torches buildings associated with groups they don't like, including synagogues and Jewish-owned shops. It's exactly like Kristallnacht.
The name "Kristallnacht" is no longer used because it was the propaganda euphemism coined by the Nazi regime. It means "crystal night" and was supposed to evoke purification, as well as make light of the loss and damages. By using such a name, you are denigrating both the victims of 38 as the victims of today.

Today, it's called the november progroms, or the november progroms of 38.

• Informative
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why not?

A violent, antisemitic mob smashes up or torches buildings associated with groups they don't like, including synagogues and Jewish-owned shops. It's exactly like Kristallnacht.
Or it can be painted to look like it, anyway. It won't take much to convince Trump's base that a strong GESTAPO-like response is necessary. Soon he can begin rounding up "liberals" who aren't involved in protests.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The name "Kristallnacht" is no longer used because it was the propaganda euphemism coined by the Nazi regime.
Then anyone in Germany who chooses to abide by that rule or custom has our approval.

Next issue....

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The name "Kristallnacht" is no longer used

I know what the name means. The name comes from the broken glass on the streets after the attacks. It was not in fact coined by the Nazi regime; you are presenting a highly distorted view of history.

"Kristallnacht" is the name that has always been used in English (Kristallnacht - Wikipedia) as well as in Nazi-occupied European countries (Kristallnacht - Wikipedia; Nuit de Cristal — Wikipédia; Noc kryształowa – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia; Хрустальная ночь — Википедия). People in those countries would not thank you for telling them not to use the word.

And when I see broken glass on the streets 82 years later, I know who the Nazis are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Or it can be painted to look like it, anyway. It won't take much to convince Trump's base that a strong GESTAPO-like response is necessary. Soon he can begin rounding up "liberals" who aren't involved in protests.
It's interesting to see an attempt to counter actual fascistic activity by use of a purely fictional scenario like that one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
It's interesting to see an attempt to counter actual fascistic activity by use of a purely fictional scenario like that one.

It's interesting watching people who claim to believe in the Constitution cheer on as civil rights are being violated in broad daylight.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting watching people who claim to believe in the Constitution cheer on as civil rights are being violated in broad daylight.

Arresting criminals is not a violation of civil rights.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Arresting criminals is not a violation of civil rights.

They're not being arrested, they're being illegally detained. They're not only going after people in the act, several of the people they've detained have had no charges filed against them, and didn't even have probable cause for suspicion of a crime.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They're not being arrested

They were arrested and had their Miranda rights read.

they're being illegally detained

Incorrect. Federal agents are authorised to arrest people.

They're not only going after people in the act

You can be arrested after committing a crime.

several of the people they've detained have had no charges filed against them

Some people were charged, others were released without charge. So?

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist

Incorrect. Federal agents are authorised to arrest people.

You can be arrested after committing a crime.

Some people were charged, others were released without charge. So?

"What is happening now in Portland should concern everyone in the United States. Usually when we see people in unmarked cars forcibly grab someone off the street, we call it kidnapping," said Jann Carson, interim executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon, in a written statement. "The actions of the militarized federal officers are flat-out unconstitutional and will not go unanswered."
Federal officers have charged at least 13 people with crimes related to the protests so far, while others have been arrested and released, including Pettibone. They also left one demonstrator hospitalized with skull fractures after shooting him in the face with "less lethal" munitions on Saturday, according to video and local reports.
Pettibone and O'Shea both said they couldn't think of anything they might have done to end up targeted by law enforcement. They attend protests regularly, but they said they aren't "instigators."
He said he did not receive any paperwork, citation or record of his arrest.

"I just happened to be wearing black on a sidewalk in downtown Portland at the time," Pettibone said. "And that apparently is grounds for detaining me."

Federal Officers Use Unmarked Vehicles To Grab People In Portland, DHS Confirms

• Informative
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The federal government is simply trying to preserve law, order, and peace.

And they’re going to fail miserably.

These tactics do not work. In fact, they have the opposite effect - they further radicalize the movements they target, and help them to recruit. This has been known for a long time. It's right there in their own field manual, which anyone can read: https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-24.pdf

So, whomever is calling the shots is either abysmally stupid, incompetent, and/or illiterate, or they are actively trying to escalate the situation. As of now, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and going with the latter.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, just possibly, that might be the reason for their arrest.

Attending protests is reason for arrest? They weren't charged with anything, because there was no evidence they were involved in any crimes. Protesting is not criminal.

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that it's an insurgency against the United States?

It could be soon enough, if the people calling the shots insist on continuing to escalate the situation, using tactics that have been known for decades to be counterproductive. I would not be surprised, for example, if we see an IED used against one of these unmarked vans some time in the next week or so.

I see you read the title. Good for you. Try reading past that. Especially chapters 4 and 5.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The fallacious, hypocritical nature of their cries has been obvious for a long time anybody paying attention. IME, the more legit libertarians tend to be more even-handed in the application of their beliefs on this subject, but "conservatives" -particularly the Trumpists- seem to overwhelmingly be authoritarians at heart, inclined towards a philosophy of "rights for me but not for thee".

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It could be soon enough, if the people calling the shots insist on continuing to escalate the situation, using tactics that have been known for decades to be counterproductive. I would not be surprised, for example, if we see an IED used against one of these unmarked vans some time in the next week or so.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more violent attacks on police already.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Miranda rights are for interrogations, not arrests. Don't believe what you see in TV shows and movies as they get that stuff completely wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm surprised we haven't seen more violent attacks on police already.
I think that is mostly due to the fact there are still other avenues to take. The press is picking up the story, the mayor of Portland, and the Governor of Oregon is telling them to stop it.

When people feel all civil avenues have been exhausted then we will start seeing more violence. Right now, not enough people feel we are there yet.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
but "conservatives" -particularly the Trumpists- seem to overwhelmingly be authoritarians at heart, inclined towards a philosophy of "rights for me but not for thee".

This is why I find it confusing when said individuals talk about the "leftist boogeymen" wanting to erode their rights. They can't seem to see that they are supporting the erosion of rights themselves.

Upvote 0