Federal judge blocks Trump plan to spend $3.6 billion in military funds on border wall

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Federal judge blocks Trump plan to spend $3.6 billion in military funds on border wall

This is the wall Donald repeatedly promised Mexico would pay for while campaigning.

A federal judge in El Paso on Tuesday blocked the Trump administration’s plan to pay for border barrier construction with $3.6 billion in military funds, ruling that the administration does not have the authority to divert money appropriated by Congress for a different purpose.
The Trump administration was planning to use those funds to build 175 miles of steel barriers, and the court’s permanent injunction is a setback for Trump’s pledge to erect 450 linear miles of fencing by the end of next year.

• Informative
Reactions: FreeinChrist

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
El Paso County, is one of the two plaintiffs in the suit. They argued that the new barrier was unwanted by the community. The worst tragedy to befall them this year was on account of a white nationalist driving to their city to slaughter innocent folks. This is also the city Donald stiffed when he had his campaign rally there, didn't bother paying the city's expenses.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi GB,

Again, it's nice to see that some people still have their wits about them in trying to protect our system of governance. If the country wants to build a wall of protection, then a bill needs to be brought up in the legislature, debated and hammered out, and if enough people in the country feel that it's necessary, then the legislation will pass and a wall will be built with funds duly set aside and established to build a wall along the southern border.

That's the way our government was established to work and I applaud this judge for not allowing some despot president to railroad the whole country with his ego driven plans. As I said in another thread though, he's got plenty of attorneys at his beck and call to continue the battle. However, the right thing for him to do is just go to Congress and ask them to take up a bill to fund a wall. If it gets support then the wall gets built through the process that is there for such things.

In the federal government of the United States, the power of the purse is vested in the Congress as laid down in the Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 9, Clause 7 (the Appropriations Clause) and Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 (the Taxing and Spending Clause).

The president is certainly free to make his desires known, but the money to fund such desires should properly be assigned by the United States Congress.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hi GB,

Again, it's nice to see that some people still have their wits about them in trying to protect our system of governance. If the country wants to build a wall of protection, then a bill needs to be brought up in the legislature, debated and hammered out, and if enough people in the country feel that it's necessary, then the legislation will pass and a wall will be built with funds duly set aside and established to build a wall along the southern border.

That's the way our government was established to work and I applaud this judge for not allowing some despot president to railroad the whole country with his ego driven plans. As I said in another thread though, he's got plenty of attorneys at his beck and call to continue the battle. However, the right thing for him to do is just go to Congress and ask them to take up a bill to fund a wall. If it gets support then the wall gets built through the process that is there for such things.

In the federal government of the United States, the power of the purse is vested in the Congress as laid down in the Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 9, Clause 7 (the Appropriations Clause) and Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 (the Taxing and Spending Clause).

The president is certainly free to make his desires known, but the money to fund such desires should properly be assigned by the United States Congress.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Thank you, Ted. Good post.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi GB,

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Why is it so hard for some to understand and follow the U.S. Constitution?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi wing,

Apparently, there's like nearly half the nation that doesn't want to follow the instructions of the Constitution in this. The sad part is, that most of those people are probably shaking their fists about protecting the Constitution, while they support a leader who doesn't want to.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Depends on where you keep your copy. Why do you think Trump has trouble flushing his toilet?

Interesting aside, was on a business trip to UCSF recently, one of my US colleagues girted us a copy of the US constitution. Not sure why.

Upvote 0