Federal judge: Arguments against gay marriage 'are not those of serious people'

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist
A federal judge on Tuesday struck down Kentucky's ban on gay marriage, and in doing so he issued a scathing rebuke to opponents of same-sex marriage.

In his ruling, District Judge John G. Heyburn II shredded the state's argument that a gay marriage ban was necessary from a biological standpoint because "traditional marriages contribute to a stable birth rate which, in turn, ensures the state's long-term economic stability." Heyburn pulled no punches in labeling that claim "disingenuous."

These arguments are not those of serious people. Though it seems almost unnecessary to explain, here are the reasons why. Even assuming the state has a legitimate interest in promoting procreation, the Court fails to see, and Defendant never explains, how the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage has any effect whatsoever on procreation among heterosexual spouses. Excluding same-sex couples from marriage does not change the number of heterosexual couples who choose to get married, the number who choose to have children, or the number of children they have. [...] The state's attempts to connect the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage to its interest in economic stability and in "ensuring humanity's continued existence" are at best illogical and even bewildering. [PDF]

Thoughts?

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I support unions, I oppose SSM being automatically the same. As long as it is two concenting adults let them have a piece of paper saying they are a couple.

I believe society can define what the legal definition of marriage is. If society says it is a union between a male and female, then that is marriage. If society says it is a union between any adults(or permission from parents, emancipated etc) then that is what it is.
I do not believe SSM should automatically be allowed. Because it is a small groups definition of marriage not the whole of society.
Either soceity can define marriage or anyone can define marriage.
Any arguement used to force change to marriage can be applied to any definition of marriage any individual decides.
I believe laws should be created as any other new law, not forced to change the old definition by the courts.

I also believe it is a state right to define marriage, as the federal government has never established a reason to be involved in the definition.

I believe the arguements judges are using to force the changes should force new laws to be created not force old laws to change, or at least give the state that option. A union being as close to a marriage as possible must be set up or the marriage law changed to include... rather then you will make marriage mean what the individual wants by order of this court.

Much like what the courts did for the second amendment in Anti-gun states. Either you make laws allowing the restricted carry of firearms or free open carry will become law.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I support unions, I oppose SSM being automatically the same. As long as it is two concenting adults let them have a piece of paper saying they are a couple.

I believe society can define what the legal definition of marriage is. If society says it is a union between a male and female, then that is marriage. If society says it is a union between any adults(or permission from parents, emancipated etc) then that is what it is.
I do not believe SSM should automatically be allowed. Because it is a small groups definition of marriage not the whole of society.
Either soceity can define marriage or anyone can define marriage.

Any arguement used to force change to marriage can be applied to any definition of marriage any individual decides.
I believe laws should be created as any other new law, not forced to change the old definition by the courts.

I also believe it is a state right to define marriage, as the federal government has never established a reason to be involved in the definition.

I believe the arguements judges are using to force the changes should force new laws to be created not force old laws to change, or at least give the state that option. A union being as close to a marriage as possible must be set up or the marriage law changed to include... rather then you will make marriage mean what the individual wants by order of this court.

Much like what the courts did for the second amendment in Anti-gun states. Either you make laws allowing the restricted carry of firearms or free open carry will become law.

[Addressing underlined, in order:]

The polls on this subject in the last few years (we are somewhere around 55% of people in the US supporting SSM) seem to suggest that it is quite possibly now the will of society at large that SSM be allowed as a variation of legal marriage. This is no longer, clearly, simply an issue of one small group forcing a change, but of a larger body of the population supporting the change.

The federal government (wrongly or rightly) put a stake in the definition of marriage by granting tax credits and joint filing, by granting survivor's benefits on federal distributed pensions, funds and benefits, etc.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's see him go head to head with the one Federal Judge who has opposed the tide. Heck, throw 'em both in the ring! My money's on the older codger with the backbone to swim upstream.

How many federal judges have opposed it? He'd have to be pretty weak in his legal analysis to do so, seeing as it's a nearly unanimous legal opinion that it can't be banned. Even conservative, Republican appointed judges have sided with the Pro-SSM crowd.

That's an obvious sign you're wrong.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
So you support a segment of society dictating what rights other members of society can have? By that argument, you obviously agree that us legalizing interracial marriage was wrong right? More people opposed interracial marriage when it was legalized than people oppose SSM now. In fact, when the Supreme Court ruling outlawing bans on interracial marriage was passed down, 80+% of society opposed legalizing it. Merely a decade early, 94% opposed it.

The 14th Amendment gives them the right to be involved as does the fact that a marriage license gives hundreds of federal benefits.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts?

The title could be misleading.

Not intentionally so, but easily misleading.

The Judge said the arguments made before the court were 'not those of serious people'. Based on the excerpt you provided I might substitute 'sane' for 'serious'.

It does not mean that there are not or could not be serious arguments against gay marriage. Someday I may hear one.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
My old housemate used to do that every time me and my bf hugged or kissed around him. Was actually pretty hilarious.

I didn't know you were that way inclined. :D

(That definitely is a little gay though :p )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I didn't know you were that way inclined. :D

(That definitely is a little gay though :p )

Oh my my my. Where have you been hun? lol

(And it definitely is, just how I like to keep it. :D )

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Let's see him go head to head with the one Federal Judge who has opposed the tide. Heck, throw 'em both in the ring! My money's on the older codger with the backbone to swim upstream.
Which judge upheld bans on SSM? Do you have a link?

Upvote 0

Sunshine Locket

This isn't what the Genie in the bottle promised
Apr 19, 2014
✟1,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Thoughts?

He's entitled to his opinion. But until he can find a clause in federal law that stops the progression of gay marriage in America, I don't care about his personal view. It can't affect the bench.

In fact, I'd like to see him come up with a solution to the rapid degradation that is happening in America in matters of laws protecting deviants and freakish behaviors.

The federal protection that just went into place prohibiting discrimination against transsexuals for one.
A man with a full beard and mustache, implant breasts, wearing a dress, and claiming to be a woman, can show up for work at the U.S. Treasury and demand to be referred to as a woman. And sue if he's not accommodated.

That's how far the ball is rolling this nation straight to being a laughing stock to other nations. And who pushes that? OBAMA! And the amoral-left.

This judge can have his opinion but until he comes up with a legal solution to stop the legal decay of America's moral identity, he's just a guy with a thought. When he comes up with a solution, bravo!

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,955.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
He's entitled to his opinion. But until he can find a clause in federal law that stops the progression of gay marriage in America, I don't care about his personal view. It can't affect the bench.

In fact, I'd like to see him come up with a solution to the rapid degradation that is happening in America in matters of laws protecting deviants and freakish behaviors.

The federal protection that just went into place prohibiting discrimination against transsexuals for one.
A man with a full beard and mustache, implant breasts, wearing a dress, and claiming to be a woman, can show up for work at the U.S. Treasury and demand to be referred to as a woman. And sue if he's not accommodated.

That's how far the ball is rolling this nation straight to being a laughing stock to other nations. And who pushes that? OBAMA! And the amoral-left.

This judge can have his opinion but until he comes up with a legal solution to stop the legal decay of America's moral identity, he's just a guy with a thought. When he comes up with a solution, bravo!

You are entitled to your opinion but until you come up with a reason beyond "I think your all freaks" the US constitution will protect the rights of those you would malign.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I actually agree with the thought. The thought that a marriage that can't produce children can't be a real marriage is sickening to think about when my folks ultimately had to adopt us after countless miscarriages.

The judge was referring to that specific argument against SSM, not arguments in general.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,955.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I actually agree with the thought. The thought that a marriage that can't produce children can't be a real marriage is sickening to think about when my folks ultimately had to adopt us after countless miscarriages.

The judge was referring to that specific argument against SSM, not arguments in general.

Have you ever heard what you would consider a good secular argument against SSM?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever heard what you would consider a good secular argument against SSM?

Secular? No. I don't think there's any secular against SSM, is there? I mean, other than the EWWW GROSS argument.

I can see a religious argument against SSM, though.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,955.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Secular? No. I don't think there's any secular against SSM, is there? I mean, other than the EWWW GROSS argument.

I can see a religious argument against SSM, though.

That has been my assessment as well. Unfortunately some keep trying to come up with one. The "But they can't have kids" and "they spread disease" ones seem popular right now. :(

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Same situation for my brother's wife.

I consider anyone saying that her parents marriage was not a real marriage to be fighting words.

Upvote 0