✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[....from the party in charge that bills itself as "conservative" ...]

"The federal government is on track to borrow nearly $1 trillion this fiscal year — Trump's first full year in charge of the budget.

That's almost double what the government borrowed in fiscal year 2017.

What's particularly jarring is this is the first time borrowing has jumped this much (as a share of GDP) in a non-recession time since Ronald Reagan was president, says Ernie Tedeschi, a former senior adviser to the U.S. Treasury who is now head of fiscal analysis at Evercore ISI. Under Reagan, borrowing spiked because of a buildup in the military, something Trump is advocating again."

Analysis | The U.S. government is set to borrow nearly $1 trillion this year, an 84 percent jump from last year

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They have to get it budgeted this year because next year tax revenues are going to drop substantially and they will have a hard time justifying the spending next year.

...let's see. The Republicans seem to have a blind spot when it comes to defense spending.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[....from the party in charge that bills itself as "conservative" ...]

"The federal government is on track to borrow nearly $1 trillion this fiscal year — Trump's first full year in charge of the budget.

That's almost double what the government borrowed in fiscal year 2017.

What's particularly jarring is this is the first time borrowing has jumped this much (as a share of GDP) in a non-recession time since Ronald Reagan was president, says Ernie Tedeschi, a former senior adviser to the U.S. Treasury who is now head of fiscal analysis at Evercore ISI. Under Reagan, borrowing spiked because of a buildup in the military, something Trump is advocating again."

Analysis | The U.S. government is set to borrow nearly $1 trillion this year, an 84 percent jump from last year
Looks like we have gone from “tax and spend” to “Spend and spend”.

• Agree
Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spending like drunk sailors (evolving Senate Budget deal):

-More military spending than even Trump requested
-research, education, roads and health care increases of 21 percent over curren budget caps
-2011 Budget Caps would be lifted for two years
-etc, etc,
....and drum roll
-suspending the federal debt limit until March 1st...of next year (after the elections)

In summary, the economy needs no help from government spending, yet we have already cut government revenues (tax cut) and now the Senate proposes giving everyone their wish list?

What gives?

Sweeping budget deal would more than $500 billion in federal spending, end months of partisan wrangling

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Spending like drunk sailors (evolving Senate Budget deal):
What gives?

Apparently those of us not quite making the median income (my Federal Income Tax just went UP under the new tax law $7.72 per week).
but those disenfranchised billionaires got some relief.

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Apparently those of us not quite making the median income (my Federal Income Tax just went UP under the new tax law $7.72 per week).

Median income earners should see a tax cut of about $550-$600 per year. I make a bit more and will see a $1500 reduction.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
C'mon now - they do intend to cut.

All of those frivolous programs like Medicare and Social Security sure do take up a lot of money.

Actually SS is a pot of money that the gov't borrows from.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

My federal taxes went up $52.51. But this does help me out in the long run, I will not make the same mistake in November 2020.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The silence is deafening.

"The bill authorizes the U.S. government to spend about $500 billion more over the next two years and suspends the debt ceiling until 2019. Most of the additional spending is not offset with cuts elsewhere, which means that the $20 trillion national debt will grow significantly. Sixty percent of the new money goes to the military; the rest goes to domestic programs."

Analysis | The Daily 202: Rand Paul’s short-lived shutdown is ending, but his warning about GOP deficit hypocrisy reverberates

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

"The bill authorizes the U.S. government to spend about $500 billion more over the next two years and suspends the debt ceiling until 2019. Most of the additional spending is not offset with cuts elsewhere, which means that the $20 trillion national debt will grow significantly. Sixty percent of the new money goes to the military; the rest goes to domestic programs."

Analysis | The Daily 202: Rand Paul’s short-lived shutdown is ending, but his warning about GOP deficit hypocrisy reverberates

Regarding the opening sentence of the piece - this isn't Keynesian policy, as Krugman points out here:

Opinion | Fraudulence of the Fiscal Hawks

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

As of the last 20 months, or so, culminating today, "Conservative Republicans" is now an oxymoron.

• Agree
Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ever since I adopted the program of "Every man for himself" I've done quite well. I do vote Republican (as a matter of principle) but don't expect any more from them than I do the Democrats. :D

Upvote 0