Federal Court shuts down Trump's Travel Ban.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Appeals court upholds injunction blocking Trump's travel ban

A Richmond, Va.-based federal appeals court on Thursday refused to reinstate President Trump’s ban on nationals from six majority-Muslim countries from entering the U.S., delivering a major blow to the Trump administration.

The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals said in a 10-3 ruling that Trump’s executive order "speaks with vague words of national security, but in context drips with religious intolerance, animus and discrimination."

Thoughts?

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
congress is the one that is supposed add or remove power, while its the courts job to intrepret the law, not negate or legislate it. unfortunately both happen far too often now. while i think that the law that gives the pres the power he has over immigration is a bit much, it should be congress to strip him of that power. and with how hysterical both sides of the fence is nowadays, abuse of these powers are going to happen more and more often.

as for this specific case, it is setting a very bad precedent of mind reading. someone else could read it and come up with some other "context".

Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
pfft, haha, the shaming language is so unbearable. I don't have a political allegiance to any side, but the language used here to talk about trump is just an obvious play on people's ideals. to translate this in non political terms:

"A Richmond, Va.-based federal appeals court on Thursday refused to reinstate A father of four daughters's ban on nationals from six majority-Muslim countries from entering his home, delivering a major blow to The father's right to protect his daughters.

The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals said in a 10-3 ruling that the fathers concern for his daughters safety "speaks with vague words of protection and love, but in context drips with religious intolerance, animus and discrimination."

God forgive me for not allowing trouble into my home, how foolish of me to not allow myself to be handed to my enemies. I should have known better and baked them cookies, how sinful of me. I think some people need to learn what a Trojan horse is. If 5 of them wanted to go to your house and one of them was a radical muslim who is not like the other peaceful ones, yet they wanted you to let them all in or no one goes in, what would you say? That's the equivalent of what we are doing here. YES, they are not all the same, but it's not the nice ones we are concerned about, it's the others who are ruining it.

Reactions: Blackmarch
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
as for this specific case, it is setting a very bad precedent of mind reading. someone else could read it and come up with some other "context".

Mind reading, or lip reading? We know what Trump explicitly said... multiple times while on the campaign trail.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
pfft, haha, the shaming language is so unbearable. I don't have a political allegiance to any side, but the language used here to talk about trump is just an obvious play on people's ideals. to translate this in non political terms:

"A Richmond, Va.-based federal appeals court on Thursday refused to reinstate A father of four daughters's ban on nationals from six majority-Muslim countries from entering his home, delivering a major blow to The father's right to protect his daughters.

If the US is Trump's home, what does that make the rest of us poor slobs?

Trump's no homeowner -- he's hired help, nothing more.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Apparently they based their decision on the 'racist tone' of Trump's campaign in that regard, not the legislation itself.

You'll notice that Jim Crow laws haven't made a comeback for the same reasons...

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You'll notice that Jim Crow laws haven't made a comeback for the same reasons...

The decision was made on the basis of U.S. Constitutional rights, which the subjects of this law do not have. The Court is being very generous, giving foreigners who have yet to set foot on our shores, our rights. :doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
If the US is Trump's home, what does that make the rest of us poor slobs?

Trump's no homeowner -- he's hired help, nothing more.

I don't care much for the legalese, I'm addressing the principle of the matter. would you allow that in your home? I just don't understand why we have to always bend over backwards for people who abuse other people's kindness. Unfortunately with america, thats what has been happening. America has just willingly accepted the abuse and not cared for repercussions. I don't mind america doing what it wants, just don't want to hear it complain and cry when it doesn't work, take responsibility over your problems, stop blaming others and fix yourself. We are becoming nothing but a huge circus for other nations amusement.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fourth Circuit Judge: "If a different candidate won the election and then issued this [executive] order, I gather you wouldn't have any problem with that ..." ACLU Senior Lawyer: "Yes, in that case, it could be constitutional"

imo...Clearly if he was unbiased his answer should have been yes. If it is unconstitutional for this candidate it would be just as unconstitutional for any other.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If 5 of them wanted to go to your house and one of them was a radical muslim who is not like the other peaceful ones, yet they wanted you to let them all in or no one goes in, what would you say? That's the equivalent of what we are doing here.
There is nothing here that negates the vetting of all people entering. If they cannot clear the vetting process then they don't get in.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The decision was made on the basis of U.S. Constitutional rights, which the subjects of this law do not have. The Court is being very generous, giving foreigners who have yet to set foot on our shores, our rights. :doh:

It's not just about Constitutional rights, it's about Constitutional limits, which, I assure you, Donald Trump most assuredly has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't care much for the legalese, I'm addressing the principle of the matter. would you allow that in your home?

Allow what?

I just don't understand why we have to always bend over backwards for people who abuse other people's kindness.

I wasn't aware that all Muslims were like that -- or is it all refugees?

Unfortunately with america, thats what has been happening. America has just willingly accepted the abuse and not cared for repercussions. I don't mind america doing what it wants, just don't want to hear it complain and cry when it doesn't work, take responsibility over your problems, stop blaming others and fix yourself. We are becoming nothing but a huge circus for other nations amusement.

You put a clown in charge, you have to expect it.

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Mind reading, or lip reading? We know what Trump explicitly said... multiple times while on the campaign trail.
i don't give a dang about what he spouted. besides news services have screwed it over nine days from sunday anyways. I don't care if he believes muslims should burn or americans should be doing the hokey pokey.
I'm much more concerned about what is written into law, statute, or command. if the wording is the same or near the same as the first one then there isn't anything in it to suggest what they are claiming here.
if this law is a problem (and i think it is) then we need to get congress to repeal or modify it.

and more than that i'm more concerned at how the powers of the branches of gov have been upset. how they are behaving in total is much more disconcerting than just one single individual.

Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Allow what?

it's not all, but with an organization that has already admitted that they would purposefully infiltrate with refugees and take advantage of that, then we should ban them for now until we can fix our issue. America isn't the only nation in the world that could take refugees, UK can take em if they want to.

You put a clown in charge, you have to expect it.

About what?

a group of people come into your house knowing one is clearly not good and has ill intentions

it's not all, but with an organization that has already admitted that they would purposefully infiltrate with refugees and take advantage of that, then we should ban them for now until we can fix our issue. America isn't the only nation in the world that could take refugees, UK can take em if they want to.

You put a clown in charge, you have to expect it

lol, thats funny, I'd make fun of him too but Romans 13 won't allow me to. Hard part about being a Christian in America.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟309,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm much more concerned about what is written into law, statute, or command. if the wording is the same or near the same as the first one then there isn't anything in it to suggest what they are claiming here.
if this law is a problem (and i think it is) then we need to get congress to repeal or modify it.

It is not a law they are overruling, it is an executive order. And the court can strike down a executive order, just like they can strike down a law, if it is unconstitutional. And in this case they decided to take Trump's speeches as evidence of intent.

Reactions: Blackmarch
Upvote 0