Federal Court denies Donald's attempt to overturn PA certification

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
True, but if the supreme court is what determines who ultimately wins that war, does it matter how many battles were lost to get there? For trump that is.

Like loosing all your pawns (and perhaps a queen) to maneuver the opponent's king into a checkmate?
Not necessarily. The Supreme Court only hears a very very small percentage of all cases. And those tend to be close ones. The odds of this going to the Supreme Court are practically nil.

• Winner
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In all fairness to Donald and his regime, his plan was pretty clever -- exquisite in its simplicity:

1. In the midst of a pandemic, convince his own followers not to trust in mail-in/absentee voting.
2. Sabotage the Postal Service to keep the mail-in/absentee votes (which will mostly be from his opponent) from being delivered and counted on time.
3. Go to court to claim that the mail-in/absentee votes can't be trusted -- because the postal service is unreliable (as a direct result of his sabotage)

The plan would work in theory; his flaw was in the execution. Unfortunately for Donald, he was only able to pull off part one without a hitch -- turns out he can't control the Postal Service and Judiciary as easily as he can his followers.

I agree with you the plan wasn't bad I think the problem was more the execution wasn't the greatest in that it was telegraphed to the opposition that they had time counter it and also alot of people party loyalty only goes so far. So the democrats really pushed for people to not mail there absentee and places like PA & GA they separated out ballots that arrived after election day. Then you have people like the GA Secretary of State the man will donate to Trump's reelection but isn't going down the rabbit hole with the conspiracy theories. Then again I'm really one who should talk about party loyalty I've got more loyalty to PlayStation and Coke then I do any political organization.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A resolution - even a joint one - is toothless in PA because the governor will just veto any legislation that arises from it and the Republicans in the PA House and Senate don't have the necessary supermajority to override a veto. I'm also not sure that there are enough of them nutty enough to vote for this - though it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm also not sure that there are enough of them nutty enough to vote for this - though it's not outside the realm of possibility.
My understanding is that it's not going to go anywhere because the people that need to approve it for it to go anywhere have gubenetorial ambitions. They aren't going to risk angering over half the electorate with this.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A resolution - even a joint one - is toothless in PA because the governor will just veto any legislation that arises from it and the Republicans in the PA House and Senate don't have the necessary supermajority to override a veto. I'm also not sure that there are enough of them nutty enough to vote for this - though it's not outside the realm of possibility.

The governor does not have the power to veto constitutional powers... The Governor does not have authority over the senate.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My "Creationist Playbook, page 5" post wasn't for you, so ...

Then why quote me?

upload_2020-11-27_23-6-22.png

But whatever.... it is true I haven't been on the TOE forums in years tho.... However, I know the differences between speciation, genetic drift and mutation.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
The governor does not have the power to veto constitutional powers... The Governor does not have authority over the senate.

The state legislature of Pennsylvania had decided that the winner of the popular vote would get the state’s electors. That was decided before the election. They can’t take back the power now that the election didn’t go how the like. Trump lost and Biden will be the president on January 20th.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Then why quote me?
Because I was using your post as an example of the Creationist Playbook "debate" techniques I've learned to recognize over the years.

I know there are a few of my colleagues from the many creation v evolution debate boards (where some may even remember me as BrightCourage) that I've been on over the past 15+ years here on Christian Forums that are familiar with the "debate" techniques creationists use to delude themselves, but there may be other posters/casual readers/lurkers/passersby that may be unfamiliar with them and can learn how to recognize them from a good example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And you think that this is a constitutional power of the state senate? Citation needed.

I don't give a darn what you need. Citation needed .... well derpity derp...

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because I was using your post as an example of the Creationist Playbook "debate" techniques I've learned to recognize over the years.

I know there are a few of my colleagues from the many creation v evolution debate boards (where some may even remember me as BrightCourage) that I've been on over the past 15+ years here on Christian Forums that are familiar with the "debate" techniques creationists use to delude themselves, but there may be other posters/casual readers/lurkers/passersby that may be unfamiliar with them and can learn how to recognize them from a good example.

Well I am not a Hovindite, flat earther, or random wack job. Just very opinionated and not afraid of what I believe.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The state legislature of Pennsylvania had decided that the winner of the popular vote would get the state’s electors. That was decided before the election. They can’t take back the power now that the election didn’t go how the like. Trump lost and Biden will be the president on January 20th.

It's not about whom they like... it is a fail-safe for situations where there is fraud found in the process. That was the reason for the evidentiary hearing.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
It's not about whom they like... it is a false safe for situations where there is fraud found in the process. That was the reason for the evidentiary hearing.

If they have found fraud they’ll prove it in the courts. They can’t just override election results because they claim they found fraud. They need to prove it in a court of law.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If they have found fraud they’ll prove it in the courts. They can’t just override election results because they claim they found fraud. They need to prove it in a court of law.

Senators have oversight for a reason. Almost sounds as if democrats will have to prove why such action is unjustified. The republicans had their day in front of them. Batter up?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
upload_2020-11-27_23-44-38.png

A Pennsylvania state court Judge has issued a preliminary injunction preventing Pennsylvania from taking any further steps to perfect its certification of the election, including but not limited to appointment of electors and transmission of necessary paperwork to the Electoral College, pending further court hearings and rulings. The ruling upholds an injunction from earlier in the week, and is significant because of the findings made in the Opinion released tonight.

You can read the Opinion here.

The case has been somewhat under the radar, because it doesn’t involve claims of fraud. It appears to be a pretty straight legal argument. This is not the federal court case that has received a lot of press attention and in which the Third Circuit Court of Appeals denied relief.

The issue in this case is whether legislative expansion of absentee balloting to broad mail-in balloting violated the Pennsylvania Constitution. It’s not clear what the relief would be; the petitioners seek to preclude the Secretary of State from transmitting the certification or otherwise perfecting the electoral college selections.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Senators have oversight for a reason. Almost sounds as if democrats will have to prove why such action is unjustified. The republicans had their day in front of them. Batter up?

No, the state legislature will have to prove fraud because they are the ones trying to override state law that says the state legislature has no part in the certification process. A law the state legislature had passed. The Governor also has to sign off on the electors according to state law and he won’t do that for the state legislature violating the law by putting their own electors forth.

Your Pittsburgh judge can hold this up a couple of days but there is no possibility of relief and this the case will fall unless you plan to violate the votes of thousands of people who cast their ballots in good faith.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, the state legislature will have to prove fraud because they are the ones trying to override state law that says the state legislature has no part in the certification process.

Buddy... the state senate writes the law... that is why they are "legislators". They most certainly can change it as well.

The Governor also has to sign off on the electors according to state law and he won’t do that for the state legislature violating the law by putting their own electors forth.

That is not true. The governor has no say in this matter. Look it up.

Your Pittsburgh judge can hold this up a couple of days but there is no possibility of relief and this the case will fall unless you plan to violate the votes of thousands of people who cast their ballots in good faith.

I am personally only concerned with assuring not a single illegal vote is accepted. And that is my only concern.

Upvote 0