• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m really fed up of being me.

Everyone else out there seems to have likes and interests but I never really have any. I went to college not really knowing what major to do and I just thought everything would work itself out and I’d eventually find something that I enjoy. Well, that never happened…

I graduated from college and still didn’t know what I should do. I ended up doing a job which involves me working all by myself all the time and it’s making me very lonely. I don’t really have any friends either and struggle a lot in this area too. At college the past year, all my classes were online and lonely and so this job just feels like more of the same.

How can I find what’s the plan God has for me? I feel very lost and I’m also struggling with my faith.

I feel like quitting this job without anything else to fall back on. I did well at college and think I would be able to find something else if I applied for a few things.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
feel like quitting this job without anything else to fall back on

The job market is great, but it's always better to have a job ready when leaving another. That's just being prudent.

Things are opening up. Have you thought about joining a group or doing some activities that will enable more social engagement? Obviously, there is church, but you might consider other things as well. Try something you have never done before.

Getting out of yourself by engaging in activities is helpful in discovering good things. If we sit in our heads (or hearts), reality can get distorted. If we get out of ourselves, we become more open to seeing, enjoying, and participating in the good things that are already happening. Trust me, I know this. I have to make myself focus on what is going on around me or I will get lost in thoughts that have little bearing on what is good, and true, and beautiful.

Think of an athlete that is so engaged they are no longer thinking, they're just doing. And, they find joy in it. Well, we can do that with anything. We can spend a lot of time in our heads and hearts looking for joy, but joy can be found in simply living and being aware of it. Boredom takes way too much for granted.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The job market is great, but it's always better to have a job ready when leaving another. That's just being prudent.

Things are opening up. Have you thought about joining a group or doing some activities that will enable more social engagement? Obviously, there is church, but you might consider other things as well. Try something you have never done before.

Getting out of yourself by engaging in activities is helpful in discovering good things. If we sit in our heads (or hearts), reality can get distorted. If we get out of ourselves, we become more open to seeing, enjoying, and participating in the good things that are already happening. Trust me, I know this. I have to make myself focus on what is going on around me or I will get lost in thoughts that have little bearing on what is good, and true, and beautiful.

Think of an athlete that is so engaged they are no longer thinking, they're just doing. And, they find joy in it. Well, we can do that with anything. We can spend a lot of time in our heads and hearts looking for joy, but joy can be found in simply living and being aware of it. Boredom takes way too much for granted.
Hello. I still live at home with my family so I don’t really have to worry hugely about the financial side of things. The job is meant to end at the end of the year so I could either ask to leave now or instead stick it out for another 7 weeks.
The only positives to staying are of course getting some income and also it may help with references in future.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've found in life that the people who refuse to accept unacceptable slots in life and are willing to take some chances are the ones who ultimately do better. You are not in a really bad position with a degree and not a lot of family obligations, etc. so you could do that yourself.

I would urge you to do so, especially while the job market is what it is. It's taking a chance, all right, but that's what is required. That said, don't go for something without thinking it through and don't tie yourself to a host of new obligations that cannot be easily ditched, but do find something that appeals to you and see if you cannot find an opening in that field while you are still flexible.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can I find what’s the plan God has for me? I feel very lost and I’m also struggling with my faith.

Hello Pantingdeer. There's always someone around worse off than yourself. Jesus said in Mark 10:45 that even the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve. I would advise you to take action to help others, to serve. Join a church ministry for example, help the most vulnerable in the church. See need and meet it.

Two examples. I met a guy with learning difficulties at a church club, a paraplegic in a wheelchair. A Christian. At his funeral the pastor said and I agreed, he was the most cheerful person you would ever meet. He never walked. He never had a job. He had no natural living family. He was the most joy filled person you would ever meet.

And a Christian family I knew stopped their car to minister to an old tramp at the roadside near Loch Tummel. The old guy broke down with gratitude and wept saying they were the first people he had spoken to in 15 years.

It's a needy world, if we the church don't go then who will? In helping others you will help yourself.

God Bless You :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1watchman
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Everyone else out there seems to have likes and interests but I never really have any. I went to college not really knowing what major to do and I just thought everything would work itself out and I’d eventually find something that I enjoy. Well, that never happened…

I graduated from college and still didn’t know what I should do. I ended up doing a job which involves me working all by myself all the time and it’s making me very lonely. I don’t really have any friends either and struggle a lot in this area too. At college the past year, all my classes were online and lonely and so this job just feels like more of the same.

I feel like quitting this job without anything else to fall back on. I did well at college and think I would be able to find something else if I applied for a few things.
Well, you can quit or change jobs to something maybe a little more social, but I do not recommend doing that until you've already got another one in line for sure, etc...

And there has to be some things you are interested in in your off time, etc, focus on that or those and then maybe try finding some groups that do or are engaged in that activity or "thing", etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. I still live at home with my family so I don’t really have to worry hugely about the financial side of things. The job is meant to end at the end of the year so I could either ask to leave now or instead stick it out for another 7 weeks.
The only positives to staying are of course getting some income and also it may help with references in future.
You're starting out, so you want those references.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes apply for other things! Push on ! God has a plan and it may surprise you.
Blessings

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Staying another seven weeks and being laid off seems better than quitting. It is important to establish a steady work history. Work is not always fun, that is why they pay people to do it. You might start looking at help wanted ads to prepare yourself for when your current job ends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What do you like doing?
was there any subject at school or college that you enjoyed or were good at?

Look at the job market for jobs that would use those subjects, or lok at getting further qualifcations in those subjects.

As your job is ending in seven weeks, start looking for another job.

What opertunities do you have to get involved in your church>
Could you help with the youth work/sunday school.
Be a meeter and greeter, someone who helpsclear the church, volunteer tocollect those unable to drive to church etc etc etc

Upvote 0

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ImCo:
If our lives are predetermined, then your life is what GOD wants you to do...so live it! Make decisions and make mistakes and learn how to do it right!

Every time you think of GOD, ask for a fully repentant heart. Also, take Heb 12:5-11 to heart and let HIM train you in righteousness. Be aware of and seek HIS loving discipline. IF "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" is true, then our being called precedes our loving HIM so don't worry about that...just live your life, accept each moment as an answer to prayer and seek GOD in all things without worrying so much about your own take on things, GOD will sort you out!
:amen:

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ImCo:
If our lives are predetermined, then your life is what GOD wants you to do...so live it! Make decisions and make mistakes and learn how to do it right!

Every time you think of GOD, ask for a fully repentant heart. Also, take Heb 12:5-11 to heart and let HIM train you in righteousness. Be aware of and seek HIS loving discipline. IF "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" is true, then our being called precedes our loving HIM so don't worry about that...just live your life, accept each moment as an answer to prayer and seek GOD in all things without worrying so much about your own take on things, GOD will sort you out!
:amen:

I believe we have free will so not predetermined. Thank you for your advice, it’s just I’ve felt lost for so long that it doesn’t seem like it’s being sorted out.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you like doing?
was there any subject at school or college that you enjoyed or were good at?

Look at the job market for jobs that would use those subjects, or lok at getting further qualifcations in those subjects.

As your job is ending in seven weeks, start looking for another job.

What opertunities do you have to get involved in your church>
Could you help with the youth work/sunday school.
Be a meeter and greeter, someone who helpsclear the church, volunteer tocollect those unable to drive to church etc etc etc
I liked maths at school. But most of the jobs to do with maths seem to be working at banks or big companies that just think about money all day. I don’t want to think about money all day, I just wish I found something I enjoyed.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Staying another seven weeks and being laid off seems better than quitting. It is important to establish a steady work history. Work is not always fun, that is why they pay people to do it. You might start looking at help wanted ads to prepare yourself for when your current job ends.
Thank you for your advice. I’ve decided to stay until it ends.

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes apply for other things! Push on ! God has a plan and it may surprise you.
Blessings
Thank you. I’ve going to stay until it ends at the end of the year. But I’ll try to think of other things I could do afterwards.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, you can quit or change jobs to something maybe a little more social, but I do not recommend doing that until you've already got another one in line for sure, etc...

And there has to be some things you are interested in in your off time, etc, focus on that or those and then maybe try finding some groups that do or are engaged in that activity or "thing", etc...

God Bless!
Thank you. I need to get myself a proper schedule together so I can have time off to do other things. I don’t really have any friends or hobbies but I might even start going to the gym as a bit of a break.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try thinking about how your skills could be used to advance the Lord's kingdom. That might make His path for you clearer.
I have quite good maths and problem-solving skills. I don’t really know how I could use it for that purpose.
I wondered if I’m meant to be a pastor or something since people being saved is the only thing that matters. However, I’m so lost in my own walk with God (struggling with my faith) that that’s not an option.

You cannot be a witness for Christ unless you know Him yourself.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God Bless!
I don’t really have hobbies like other people. Nothing really excites me.

I don’t really go to church a lot and the youth club there is full of people that aren’t very nice and are fakers. Because of that I don’t feel very welcome to go there either.

Upvote 0