Canada
✟1,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Correect, the bible is used as a whole. Taking parts out is just plain ignoring what has been the foundation. It shows why something is said.

Just as through the use of history we can understand that feces was used as fuel in this case, and not make the mistake of thinking it was part of the ingrediants. It is important to keep it all intact.

Upvote 0

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have no more to add to the already correct statements made here by fellow Christ believers. However, I do think it would have been amusing if we'd all simply responded to the OP by saying something like:

Yeah... Crapcakes. We have them every Sunday night after church. All Christians do. Why? :confused:

Sometimes it's fun to silence the noise makers with a sense of humor, (and mine is probably a little more sick than it should be sometimes :blush: ) but thanks for explaining the reality of the situation instead. Props to all who did. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
knightlight72 said:
So again, my faith is based on what I have lived and experienced.
I'm sorry, but this isn't true. Your faith is based upon what you have interpreted your experience to mean, not the experience itself. You may have experiences of a calming touch, actual words being spoken to you... you may have grown a third leg. Whatever your experiences may be, you've interpreted them to mean, "God did them." There is no reason the words couldn't be delusion or the calming effect a natural occurrence. It is your choice to interpret them as you have... the evidence you claim simply isn't what you think it is.

I feel confident, without question that God is real, and has left His word for us.
I'm sure you do. But that confidence has nothing to do with evidence or logic. That confidence is inspired by belief.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
AtheistPerson said:
Wow this and saying that homosexuals should be killed are some of the worst things i found. I hope some of you don't fully believe in the bible.

Other sources: II Kings 18:27,(II Kings 6:25),(II Kings 6:28-29).
I swear that there's been a thread on this before.

Anyone, Ezekiel is a book of prophecy, Ezekiel is a prophet. Part of being a prophet involves doing crazy stuff to get your point across. That is what is happening here. But what is the point? Well, if you would read the chapter you would see that it is full of symbolism of the siege of Jerusalem. So this is saying Jerusalem will be sieged, and that people will be reduced to eating their own excrement at the height of the siege.

If you want to get into the larger issue which is, should God have let Jerusalem be sieged we certainly can. There is a multitude of material on it, many of the prophets (including Ezekiel and Isaiah) wrote extensively on it and the following exile.

Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
AtheistPerson said:
Yeah i was on this funny website http://www.satan2000.com/christians/whysuck.htm Yeah its anit christian, but he had some points and mentioned some real mentally ill christians.

I had a look at the site, and I wasn't offended by what he had to say. Sadly, it is a sad indictment on what many Christians are like today, especially when it comes to human discrepancies.

I liked the 10 rules of being a good Christian on it, btw.

tgg

Upvote 0

AtheistPerson

Oct 1, 2005
✟854.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
tgg said:
I had a look at the site, and I wasn't offended by what he had to say. Sadly, it is a sad indictment on what many Christians are like today, especially when it comes to human discrepancies.

I liked the 10 rules of being a good Christian on it, btw.

tgg

Yeah because that is how christians should be and its not a joke or an insult!

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
AtheistPerson said:
Yeah thats why i think Elisha killed 400 kids for no reason by summoning bears!
Or we could just wildly switch topics when anyone tries to have an actual conversation. I'll save you the trouble for the next topic switch:

Judges 16:1Then went Samson to Gaza, and saw there an harlot, and went in unto her.

Upvote 0

AtheistPerson

Oct 1, 2005
✟854.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
MoonlessNight said:
Or we could just wildly switch topics when anyone tries to have an actual conversation. I'll save you the trouble for the next topic switch:

Judges 16:1Then went Samson to Gaza, and saw there an harlot, and went in unto her.

good job taking it off topic. Well i'm done reading posts on this topic. I just wanted to see what people thought about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

knightlight72

Soldier of Christ
Dec 11, 2003
Canada
✟1,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Phred said:
I'm sorry, but this isn't true. Your faith is based upon what you have interpreted your experience to mean, not the experience itself. You may have experiences of a calming touch, actual words being spoken to you... you may have grown a third leg. Whatever your experiences may be, you've interpreted them to mean, "God did them." There is no reason the words couldn't be delusion or the calming effect a natural occurrence. It is your choice to interpret them as you have... the evidence you claim simply isn't what you think it is.
Experience really is in the eye of the beholder. There is no possible way I can disagree with you, since in effect, your experience has led you to your own conclusion.

Let me show an example of how this is really not up to another person to say how a different person can experience something. I love my wife. I can't prove I love her. You can only see the actions that show love. Those could happen in the absence of love. My life experience shows me that I do love her, regardless of what another may say.

Phred said:
I'm sure you do. But that confidence has nothing to do with evidence or logic. That confidence is inspired by belief.
I most heartedly agree Phred. It is through faith in God that I have my view.

Upvote 0

truthmonger89

Positive rate, gear up.
May 15, 2005
✟4,734.00
Faith
Atheist
I find it both hilarious and ironic that we are discussing stories about dung in the bible. Let's not forget this little gem:

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it." Malachi 2:3

Who do you think said those kind words?

I expect Christians will yell "out of context!" and explain that having someone spread dung on your face is not always as bad as it seems.

Upvote 0

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian
truthmonger89 said:
I find it both hilarious and ironic that we are discussing stories about dung in the bible. Let's not forget this little gem:

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it." Malachi 2:3

I expect Christians will yell "out of context!" and explain that having someone spread dung on your face is not always as bad as it seems.
Now, now, children. Play nice or God'll take free will away. (Seriously, troll bad)

Upvote 0

truthmonger89

Positive rate, gear up.
May 15, 2005
✟4,734.00
Faith
Atheist
Exhausted said:
Now, now, children. Play nice or God'll take free will away. (Seriously, troll bad)

Strange that someone in CF would get chastised, however mildly, for quoting the bible. Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out who is speaking in some bible verses, so who is threatening to spread dung on people's faces in Malachi 2:3?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FadingWhispers3

Senior Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
✟19,344.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Others

God did, supposedly.

On the contrary, the point is lost if having dung spread on your face is not as bad as it seems. Rather just as criminals are punished by what appears to be undesirable rather than pleasurable, so too in this case. It is suppose to be bad.

This area discusses the repercussions of some priests who did not do justices to the authority and responsibility given to them by causing harm to fall on those in their care. If dung were pleasant, then it would not be suitable for punishment.

Upvote 0

truthmonger89

Positive rate, gear up.
May 15, 2005
✟4,734.00
Faith
Atheist
God threatens to spread dung on people's faces if they behave a certain way. What a fine example of love, compassion, and respect for an individual's free will. "Do anything you want, but if you do something I don't like, I'll spread dung all over you face! Remember, you have free will, you and you alone have the authority and freedom to decide how to live your life, so enjoy it! Just don't make me angry."

Upvote 0

knightlight72

Soldier of Christ
Dec 11, 2003
Canada
✟1,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Happy Birthday Truthmonger. I have a question. Have you had dung rubbed on your face? I don't think what you are saying is quite accurate. God isn't saying anyone who doesn't do as He says will get dung rubbed in their face.

Let's make a comparison to what you are suggesting. I think you are suggesting since you feel there is disgust being described here, then there cannot be good by comparison.

I'll compare it to your post. Your post is meant to make fun of a group who follows who they believe is a loving God. (essentially, taunting a group) Now, does that mean you can only make fun of people, or can you also show love? I assume you can show love, as well as taunt someone for their beliefs.

So I am pointing out a problem in trying to suggest that God is not loving when he is also setting the example for others to follow.

Here's a question. Do you argue with your significant other? Do you love them? Are you suggesting that if you do something that may be in your view is bad, then you can't possibly love your significant other?

I suppose the likely response back is that you don't rub dung in her face. But I point out God did not rub dung in your face, so what makes you certain God doesn't love you?

Upvote 0

FadingWhispers3

Senior Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
✟19,344.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Others
God threatens to spread dung on people's faces if they behave a certain way.

Well, technically it wasn't a threat in that case. It's only a threat if it is made beforehand. Technically, the case you brought up is more of an announcement.

What a fine example of love, compassion, and respect for an individual's free will.

With great power, comes great responsibility. ;) Priests are supposed to be representatives of God and not just anybody. So naturally God takes offense when they act badly.

Do anything you want, but if you do something I don't like, I'll spread dung all over you face!

That's the way any system of law is, whether fair or unfair. Well, maybe not feces, but there are always consequences of one sort or another.

Upvote 0