Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Would you give a couple of examples, please?

Governor responsibilities include:
  1. Working with the partisan state legislature to get bills passed
  2. Signing or vetoing bills that pass both sides of the statehouse
  3. Managing all of the state's executive branch agencies regularly

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Governor responsibilities include:
  1. Working with the partisan state legislature to get bills passed
  2. Signing or vetoing bills that pass both sides of the statehouse
  3. Managing all of the state's executive branch agencies regularly
The mayor of NYC does all three of the things, including signing or vetoing laws at have been written and passed by the city's legislative branch, the 51 city council members.

Government of New York City - Wikipedia

Boy, do I get an education by being on this forum.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there some reason you had to cite the least populous state?

Bernie Sanders has the Vermont legislature and governor on his resume.

Please give us a citation for when Sanders served as governor.

And, I agree that Sanders has served as a legislator for many, many, many, many years.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please give us a citation for when Sanders served as governor.

And, I agree that Sanders has served as a legislator for many, many, many, many years.
Or where he served on the Vermont legislature.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
NYC has 8.6 million people. If it were a state, it would be ranked 12th in size, above Virginia and below New Jersey. In terms of GDP, New York County (i.e. Manhattan) alone would come in 9th betwee NJ and GA.
But it ISN'T a state. There are substantial differences.

• Winner
Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm mostly interested in how the moderators treat Bloomberg. Will they bring up any difficult issues for him to address or will it be like a soft ball approach? It seems to me when Trump faced left wing moderators every question they asked seemed almost to be an insult....how about for Mike? Will the moderators seem to appear to have a bias to see him win against these other Democrats?

When the other candidates go after Mike if they find he's starting to falter will they step in and try to break it up or to change the topic? And will their commentators later sing his praises saying Mike had a great night? With that I wish all the media would lay off with their commentary as to who had a great night. If they're going to report anything do a legit poll by the American people as to who did well or best. Really that's the only thing that matters not 30-50 anchors that head up news shows!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm mostly interested in how the moderators treat Bloomberg. Will they bring up any difficult issues for him to address or will it be like a soft ball approach?
It seems to me when Trump faced left wing moderators every question they asked seemed almost to be an insult....how about for Mike? Will the moderators seem to appear to have a bias to see him win against these other Democrats?
There will be three moderators who are TV news commentators/analysts representing NBC and MSNBC. Two of them are Lester Holt and Chuck Todd. There is also one from a Spanish-language network and one from a Nevada newspaper.

In other words, yes. Expect the softballs.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There will be three moderators who are TV news commentators/analysts representing NBC and MSNBC. Two of them are Lester Holt and Chuck Todd. There is also one from a Spanish-language network and one from a Nevada newspaper.

In other words, yes. Expect the softballs.

And is this an indicator of what we might see in regard to one of them? We'll see but I'm thinking they might go easy on Mike. Just out on Fox news.

MSNBC’s Chuck Todd blasted for ‘shoddy journalism’ ahead of Dem debate

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And is this an indicator of what we might see in regard to one of them? We'll see but I'm thinking they might go easy on Mike. Just out on Fox news.

MSNBC’s Chuck Todd blasted for ‘shoddy journalism’ ahead of Dem debate
I do agree with you about that.

I have no doubt that the moderators will be true to themselves and to the DNC , but there still is the question of which candidate they will favor with their questions. As we saw in earlier debates, the moderators can favor one or several of the candidates simply by giving the other ones almost no air time.

There could be an attempt to build up Bloomberg as the counter to Bernie...or they could be intending to freeze out one of the others in the belief that the voters who had supported that person or persons would move to someone else of the moderators' preference (most likely Bloomberg, maybe Pete).

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Bernie Sanders first ran for Vermont's at-large U.S. Representatives seat in 1998. He lost to the Lt. Gov. On his second try, in 1990, he won it. Sanders won a Senate seat on his first try in 2006. Meanwhile Mike Bloomberg has done nothing higher than the city level in government.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bernie Sanders first ran for Vermont's at-large U.S. Representatives seat in 1998. He lost to the Lt. Gov. On his second try, in 1990, he won it. Sanders won a Senate seat on his first try in 2006. Meanwhile Mike Bloomberg has done nothing higher than the city level in government.
So he didn't serve in the Vermont state legislature, only at the federal level in the Congress and as a small-town mayor.

Governors manage a state and Bloomberg managed a city the size of a small state who's government is set up like a state with a 'strong' mayor-counsel government.

imo, Sanders does not have as much managerial and political experience as Bloomberg does.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So he didn't serve in the Vermont state legislature, only at the federal level in the Congress and as a small-town mayor.

Governors manage a state and Bloomberg managed a city the size of a small state who's government is set up like a state with a 'strong' mayor-counsel government.

imo, Sanders does not have as much managerial and political experience as Bloomberg does.

Could be, but the best way to put it might be to acknowledge that both of them--and some others in the running as well--are lacking the political credentials/qualifications that candidates for the presidency usually do have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could be, but the best way to put it might be to acknowledge that both of them--and some others in the running as well--are lacking the political credentials/qualifications that candidates for the presidency usually do have.
That's mostly true but I still would argue that Bloomberg does have the qualifications if not the credentials.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That's mostly true but I still would argue that Bloomberg does have the qualifications if not the credentials.

It depends on your definition of qualifications. Constitutionally, there are only two requirements: being an American citizen since birth and at least 35 years old. But the document was written long before colleges, and therefore law schools, existed. Now what, are we going to say you must have a law degree to qualify for the top job? What if Michelle Obama, who has only been a First Lady, ran for President? Would she be more qualied than a state representative just because she used to live in the White House?

When we talk about a former mayor's job qualifications, I am sure all of us can agree Michael Bloomberg is more qualified than the other one, Pete Buttigieg, because of the two city sizes - but only because we are comparing apples to apples. When I compare Bloomberg to Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, and Bernie Sanders, he loses in my book because "just a mayor" is never as qualified as a U.S. Senator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on your definition of qualifications. Constitutionally, there are only two requirements: being an American citizen since birth and at least 35 years old. But the document was written long before colleges, and therefore law schools, existed. Now what, are we going to say you must have a law degree to qualify for the top job? What if Michelle Obama, who has only been a First Lady, ran for President? Would she be more qualied than a state representative just because she used to live in the White House
Why did you bring up a law degree? Bloomberg does not have a law degree. He has a BS in electrical engineering and Masters in Business Adminstration from Harvard.
Living in the White House, sorry I don't get what you are comparing the to.
When we talk about a former mayor's qualifications, I am sure all of us can agree Michael Bloomberg is more qualified than the other one, Pete Buttigieg, because of the two city sizes - but only when comparing apples to apples. When we compare Bloomberg to Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, and Bernie Sanders, he loses.
Well, we are not going to agree. The only one that is close to Bloomberg in managing a large government that's like our federal government is Biden.

What foreign relations experience does Warren or Sanders have?

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Why don't you actually think about what I am saying before replying? I never said having a law degree - or even just majoring in law - is a requirement to be qualified. People sure love to either twist many of my comments to mean something else or not think what about they really mean.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why don't you actually think about what I am saying before replying? I never said having a law degree - or even just majoring in law - is a requirement to be qualified. People sure love to either twist many of my comments to mean something else or not think what about they really mean.
If I misunderstood you, I apologize. Please explain what you did mean by bringing up 'have a law degree to qualify'?
What did you mean by bringing up 'living in the White House'?

Upvote 0