New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We've just passed February 1, which is a day that several religions pay attention to, as it occurs midway between the solstice and the equinox. Of all the seasonal holidays, I think I know the least about February 1. I can feel in my body that the light is starting to return -- at least, for those of us in the northern hemisphere -- but beyond that, I know little about observances of the day.

If February 1 or 2 is important to you, however you name the holiday in your religion, how do you observe the day? What does it mean to you? How do you encounter the spiritual or the divine on that day? Is it an important day to you, or do you just nod to St. Groundhog and move on?

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I have Wiccan friends, but never really saw anything on my feed. Now Yule, I actually learned a bit more about the traditions, though I've already forgotten what my wish I tied onto the sprig and burned.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's basically a Spring holiday, though the first day of Spring isn't really until mid March. It's also a holiday to tribute the goddess Brigid.

This winter has been crazy mild, reaching temperatures of 67 degrees in the middle of January, so the holiday wasn't a huge production for me this year. My celebration included preparing all the new birding equipment I've collected over the winter for my planned trip to Cape May, NJ in April for the big Spring migration. That, and a toast of mead to Brigid.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Like other sabbats I burn incense, make an offering and a short prayer but I've started getting more hype about Imbolc because even though it's firmly winter here the yearly signs are creeping in of life coming back and the days slowly getting longer. While I'm not a devotee of Brigid, friends of mine are and they do some nice formal rituals for the day. The first big time I really jam out is Ostara! Spring is right around my birthday and right around then I'm also venturing to Japan and will also visit many shrines and holy sites so that's pretty exciting.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Isn't St. Brigid the patron saint of brewers? That's interesting because on Feb. 1st I usually feel an unusual hankering for an IPA. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Interesting. I have to choose a saint before my confirmation. I'll look into St. Brigid for sure now.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
On February 2, the Greek Orthodox Church celebrates the Feast of the Presentation of Christ to the Temple. The Church also refers to this Feast as the Synaxis (or meeting) of our Lord in the temple.

The fortieth day after His birth, the All-holy Virgin brought her divine Son into the Temple of Jerusalem, in accordance with the Law, to dedicate Him to God and to purify herself.

In accordance with the Mosaic law, 40 days after the birth of a child the mother is required to present the child in the tabernacle and offer as a sacrifice either a lamb or a pair of doves or pigeons for her purification. The presentation of a first-born son also signified redemption or buying back, for all first-born creatures (both humans and animals) were considered to belong to God.

Virgin Mary and Joseph obeyed this precept of the law. They brought Jesus to the Temple where he was met and blessed by a very old Holy man. On that day in the Temple, both Simeon and a woman by the name of Anna, by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, recognised the infant Jesus as the Messiah and Saviour of the world. Simeon had been promised by God that he would live to witness the coming of the Messiah to the world. These events are are found in Luke 2:22-40

“My eyes have seen your salvation, now let your servant depart in peace”.

This Prayer of Simeon is used every day in the Vespers services of the Orthodox Church. But this prayer should be more to us than a description of someone who has been allowed to see and hold the Christ child requesting a peaceful departure. It should also mean for us, in particular, that having seen and touched the Saviour, we are released from the hold that sin has on us, and in peace, we can leave the realm of evil.

Upvote 0