Fear of Preterism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know why there is so much fear and down right nasty answers sometimes to the preterists that are here?

I didn't believe this way for most of my life. But knew instantly that what preterism teaches is the truth when I started to read and learn for myself. (I don't bite)

I may not agree with what others think or believe, but I don't get mean about it.

I suppose this will get moved somewhere. So please just let me know where :p

Nancy :wave:

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
It seems most of the conflict arrives from the fact that Preterists believe Christ already came.

Hence, Preterists deny that He is yet to come.

When fellow christians hear that Preterists deny that He is yet to come, they tend to become quite emotional and start quoting verses that he promised to come again.

It seems that most are uneducated about the Preterist position and make inaccurate assumptions.

-A

Upvote 0

jenlu

May 29, 2002
Visit site
✟625.00
gwynn...

Revelations is God being Judge, Jury and Executioner, of His Word...Showing His might which cannot be comprehended for us to know and believe that in Jesus Christ we are more than conquerors with Him...

Now on the parts about what would seem to be Judgement Day, I am not at the point that I would say this has occured...so if that is true...it also gives you something to look forward too...but if Judgement Day truly has passed then it still shows you victory in Jesus...

Upvote 0

franklin

Sexed up atheism = Pantheism
May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Back To The Future
I would like to know why there is so much fear and down right nasty answers sometimes to the preterists that are here?

I didn't believe this way for most of my life. But knew instantly that what preterism teaches is the truth when I started to read and learn for myself. (I don't bite)

I may not agree with what others think or believe, but I don't get mean about it.

I suppose this will get moved somewhere. So please just let me know where :p

Hi Nancy, When I first learned about preterism I started sharing what I found out with some of my fellow Christian friends and all I got was negitive answers and responses and I really believe that is what drove me to dig in even more to learn and find out what this new truth was all about! So far I've only shared preterism with a few people I am close to but I am seriously going to be coming out of the closet very soon whenever I attend another Bible study. I think the more you learn about preterism the Lord will give you the boldness to share the truth with others and that is one thing I'm praying for Him to give me more of everyday that goes by. I think it is pretty evident with what they think of us by how they have moved us around in this forum. As for your comments you are in the right forum (spirituality) at least for now anyway. So be of good cheer and don't let anything or anybody steal your joy!!!! :clap:

Upvote 0
I'm glad I am in the right place anyway. I got called on the carpet today for braking rule number6?? I have just been so confussed about where we are allowed and where we are not.

I learned today that people are really afraid of preterism. I am not considered a Christian because I don't fit all the rules about being one. I believe CHrist came and fulfilled all his prophecy that counts me out I guess.

I wonder what the Lord would say to me?
down but not out.
Blessings
Nancy :angel:

Upvote 0

franklin

May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Back To The Future
I'm glad I am in the right place anyway. I got called on the carpet today for braking rule number6?? I have just been so confussed about where we are allowed and where we are not.

I learned today that people are really afraid of preterism. I am not considered a Christian because I don't fit all the rules about being one. I believe CHrist came and fulfilled all his prophecy that counts me out I guess.

I wonder what the Lord would say to me?
down but not out.
Blessings
Nancy :angel:

Nancy, Stand firm girl and don't let these people intimidate you! You have all the support you need not only from me but from some of the other veteran pret's in this forum, Parouisa, GW, Armoth, just to name a few right guys? Let's lift up this new convert in Christ who has had her heart pierced with the light of God's truth of the scriptures!! Do I hear an amen out there??? come on now! let's have church here!! I wanna hear some shouting and praising going on in this room! Nancy, I believe the Lord is saying to you right now, well done thou good and faithful servant! You know why? Because you believe every single word his precious Son Jesus said to His followers would come to pass and you are not making any excuses about His word not being fulfilled!! What do think about that? Jesus confronted the Pharisee's and called them a bunch of vipers and snakes and they hated Him for it and set out to kill him. He told them they were full of dead mens bones and they had no life in themselves!
He also told them they would see the destruction of their holy er that thou temple! Was that future for them? You betcha! So just lift up your head and praise His holy name! :clap: :clap: can I get some witnesses out there or what??? :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

franklin

May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Defender of the Faith 777
I know, I'm left out. What exactly is preterism? I hear it a lot, and I'm absolutely ignorant to this concept.

Hi Defender, Welcome aboard brother! I was just like you when I first discovered preterism on the internet last year! I couldn't belive what I was reading! Is that how you felt? I read something like the second coming has already happened! I thought, ooookaaay! This is a joke right? I read on a little more and these folks were not joking bro! Preterism is the total fulfillment of all the prophecies that Jesus predicted would come to pass to the generation of believers during His lifetime. I could go into a lot of detail but by that I mean all the prophecies, Jesus second appearing, satan's defeat, the gospel preached to all the world, all the judgements, white throne, judgement seat and everything in Revelation all came to pass just as Jesus and all the inspired writers of the NT proclaimed! Some of the other members have more knowledge then I and can explain things a lot better then I since I still consider myself new also.
If your looking for some good info and books on the subject go to: www.bibleprophecy.com there will find some books on preterism by some great Godly men. I would recommend books by Gene Fadeley, "REVELATION:Kingdoms in Conflict" That was the first Preterist book I read and have been reading books by other authors as well.... John Noe is another one. I would highly recommend you looking into his writings also. He has a very good down to earth approach to the reality of past fulfillment as opposed to the doctrine of imagination of futurism that has been deceiving the minds of so many over the years.
Cheers
franklin

Upvote 0
Thank you Franklin for those kind words. I know I am not at the level of a lot of other preterists, but I am trying to hold my ground.

I can not explain how I felt when I first grasped what preterism even was. I felt like the Lord just did a miracle for me. I laid in bed for weeks and just looked toward the shy and said, this is so awesome. Blessed be the name of the Lord. My mouth hung open for days. I must have been a site!!

Praise be to God who did what he said and we can believe that with our entire heart.
Those that don't understand can break my heart but not my spirit.
I give thanks for the truth and for other preterists who have gone before me, that take the time to help me further my knowledge.

Thank you again

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by lambslove
If I'm not mistaken, preterists believe that most of the Bible is bunk. Since we are Bible-believing Christians, we are outraged when someone says the Bible is bunk. That's why we get mad at preterists. Makes sense, doesn't it?

C'mon Lambslove, can you provide a quote from any preterist tht even remotely resembles what you just said??

Of course you can't, because it is blatantly false, and yes you are horribly mistaken. All preterists believe that the Bible is the infallible, inerrant Word of God, and you will not find a single one who disagrees with it.

At least be honest will ya?
Just admit you can't explain why you are angry at preterists instead of making something up that has absolutely zero truth.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by gwyyn
What I don't understand is if christ has already came, then why is Revelation in the bible???

Revelation was written to warn specific 1st century Churches about what was to come to pass upon them "shortly" at the parousia of Christ.

It is preserved for all time for us to learn about how God wants us to live our lives in the kingdom.

Revelation was not written to the saints in Tidewater Virginia, or Fargo N. dakota, or Eugene Oregon in 2002, but to the 7 Churches in Asia Minor in the 1st century.

The Bible was not written to us, it was written for us.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Would preterists be willing to conceed to the precedent of God using prophecy in double-fulfillments? Such as, the Davidic Psalms, the Feasts, and Israelogy?

If such precedents are a given in looking at biblical prophecy, I submit that the prophesies Jesus made were fulfilled in his day AND are meant to be fullfilled for another generation at the Last Day. I make this claim because we have precedent already God using prophecies for one situation to be a prophecy for something seperate and different in the further future!

I believe both Preterists and Futurists are right and correct, since both can be proven. What they don't realize is, that they both have just one piece of the larger puzzle, and that together, they both have the answer.

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Originally posted by lambslove
If I'm not mistaken, preterists believe that most of the Bible is bunk. Since we are Bible-believing Christians, we are outraged when someone says the Bible is bunk. That's why we get mad at preterists. Makes sense, doesn't it?

G'day lambslove :wave:

I'm happy to inform you that you are absolutely "mistaken" about "Preterism" -which I prefer to call "Covenant Eschatology, or "pantelism" -but that's another story. We don't believe ANY of the Bible is "bunk."

It is human nature to fear and reject what we don't understand or feel threatened by. Now you will not find one pret that has posted on this board that says anything like "parts of the are bunk" -you will read where some ill informed or plain mischievious "futurists" -of whatever persuasion, have said we say that -but without basis.

If a prophecy being fulfilled equals bunk then what do folk do who say Israel coming back into Palestine was the fulfillment of prophecy??? Bet they don't see their pet scriptures they say predicts this as bunk -hummm.

davo

Upvote 0

Mike Beidler

Evolutionary Creationist
May 31, 2002
Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
Visit site
✟7,786.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Heck, while people are giving their preterist conversion testimonies, I figure I might as well give mine. Here's what www.planetpreterist.com posted on 13 May 2002:

Hi, everyone. My name is Mike Beidler and I … am a future preterist. Until early 2000, I was firmly entrenched in pre-tribulation dispensationalism. It was about that time that my best friend, a devout Roman Catholic, challenged me to defend the pre-tribulation rapture viewpoint using Scripture. Fancying myself fairly knowledgeable in all things Bible, I took his challenge to heart with a smug smile on my face.

I began to write a personal commentary on all passages in the NT dealing with the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, and to develop a timeline of eschatological events from scratch to see if I came up with the same conclusions the Tim LaHaye crowd does. I never did finish that commentary; I never got around to completing the timeline either. I began to see that I had been inserting my own views on eschatology, the nature of the church, current events, etc., into the Scriptures.

Just prior to my daughter’s birth in early 2000, I came across a used book titled The Pre-Wrath Rapture of the Church, by Marvin Rosenthal. Skimming through the book, I was surprised to see that the argued viewpoint didn’t accept any of the major tribulation/rapture viewpoints as wholly correct. Figuring a good laugh was worth a few bucks, I bought the book and began to read. The “truth” presented in this book hit me like a Mack truck and I was forced to abandon a pre-tribulation rapture for a pre-wrath rapture viewpoint, which is essentially a synthesis of all the “truths” found in pre-, mid-, and post-tribulationism. The biggest “truth” I found in this book (as well as Robert Van Kampen’s The Sign and The Rapture Question Answered Plain and Simple) was that the “signs of the end” detailed in Jesus’ Olivet Discourse paralleled the opening of the seals of Revelation 6. (Allow me to digress for a moment and give you preterists a piece of advice: if you want a pre-tribulation rapturist to eventually convert to preterism, get him to become a pre-wrath rapturist first. It’s a real nice stepping-stone. The pre-wrath rapture viewpoint puts most of the eschatological events in the right chronological order, with the only problem being its futuristic timing.)

For the most part of two years, I preached the pre-wrath viewpoint and began to associate myself with The Sign Ministries (now a part of Sola Scriptura: www.solagroup.org). Then I asked a new friend of mine what he thought of the End Times, thinking he was a pre-tribulation rapturist, and that I could divide and conquer this man’s eschatological heart. He straight up told me: “Mike, you’re not ready for what I believe.” Refusing to back down, he directed me to R. C. Sproul’s The Last Days According to Jesus and David B. Curtis’ Berean Bible Church website (www.bereanbiblechurch.org). I wasn’t particularly convinced of Sproul’s position and I thought Curtis was a heretic.

But the seed was planted … Several months ago, I was surprised to find a member of my Sunday School class teaching on what he believed to be the correct eschatology: partial preterism. He had not thoroughly researched the topic (and I was more informed on the finer points than he was), but he simply wanted to present the ideas he had come across in his search for “the truth.” He relied primarily on Sproul’s The Last Days … companion video series for his information. I asked to borrow them and, suffice to say, I was floored. (Another piece of advice: don’t have a potential convert to preterism start with Sproul’s book; have him or her start with Sproul’s superior video series.) After viewing this series, I rushed out to buy Kenneth Gentry’s Before Jerusalem Fell, Jonathan Seraiah’s The End of All Things, and J. S. Russell’s The Parousia. Starting with Russell’s book, the seed began to sprout. In this case, the seedling was a bamboo shoot. (Have you ever seen bamboo grow???) As I began to research the partial preterist position (because, as you all know, consistent preterism is “heresy”!), I was still uncomfortable with some logical inconsistencies relating to issues such as a “Third Coming” of Jesus, two separate resurrections of the righteous and the wicked (whereas Daniel and John speak only of one general resurrection), etc. I began to wonder what the full preterist thought of these things. I was pleasantly surprised to find those inconsistencies resolved. I also discovered that the consistent preterist position was not heretical or offensive to my spirit, and I've begun to tread down this path to see where it takes me …

The reason I call myself a future preterist is because I know in my heart of hearts that preterism is the most hermeneutically correct eschatology, but I am still searching for answers.

Thanks in advance, everyone, for humoring my questions and being patient with me during my trek into this unknown country known as preterism.

Sincerely,

Mike Beidler, future preterist

Upvote 0

franklin

May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by parousia70

C'mon Lambslove, can you provide a quote from any preterist tht even remotely resembles what you just said??

Of course you can't, because it is blatantly false, and yes you are horribly mistaken. All preterists believe that the Bible is the infallible, inerrant Word of God, and you will not find a single one who disagrees with it.

At least be honest will ya?
Just admit you can't explain why you are angry at preterists instead of making something up that has absolutely zero truth.

Yoh Par, Franklin here.... Ya think we should report this Lambslayer dude to the task master for coming into our cell and disrupting our Bible study here? It sounds like he is breaking some of the rules such as maybe lack of respect for his fellow breathren in the Lord. Can you imagine the PM's we would get if we dropped in on the Eschatology forum on the other side of this place and said that futurists and dispensationalists believe the Bible is Bunk? hmmmm! We Pret's wouldn't say that because we have respect for our futurist brothers regardless of their beliefs!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.