Adelaide
✟17,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I posted my first message on these forums where I asked the question of this thread deep down in the comments, but it kinda got lost among all the other comments, so I thought I'd create a new thread. Apologies for the length of this message, but I think there's some context needed.

I was baptized as a infant and grew up in the Christian faith - going to Church & Sunday school and going to Christian schools. I also was confirmed. I believed in a creator God from a quite young age as I reasoned in my head about how everything came into being. Theories like the 'big bang' just didn't make sense (and still don't) to me. I had a genuine fear of going to Hell and would often think about 'what-if' scenarios in my head as a young boy while going to sleep. I believed in God and acknowledged Jesus, but I was never really connected or filled with the Spirit. I'd never read the Bible. I prayed to God for various things, but most of the time it was for worldly things.

Without a strong faith, I went off the tracks in my mid teens as the world opened up with all of these new opportunities and things to do e.g. partying with friends, drinking alcohol, occasional recreational drugs (although I was never an addict), driving a car (which gave me the freedom to do what I want), sport and the boorish culture that this often promotes, swearing, masturbating, occasionally breaking the law for minor things when I was out with the guys e.g. vandalism, indecency, theft, etc. Note: the breaking the law part was rare and for fairly minor things - I wouldn't say it would be a good representation of my life, but the other things mentioned definitely would be. During this time Christianity became less and less important - everything was about ME! I started to pray less and less, think about God less and less, I would still occasionally go to Church, but if anything that was to keep my mum happy (as I've always had a very strong family relationship).

Moving out of my teens and into my 20s, I went to university and started work, continued playing sport and drinking heavily, always trying to 'pick up' girls (unsuccessfully most of the time), renting houses with roommates - watching TV and throwing around all sorts of vulgarities. I was watching inappropriate content and masturbating multiple times per week. I started reading all sorts of rubbish on the Internet and became hateful, resentful and racist (although most of the time I kept these feelings to myself). During this time praying became less and less (e.g. perhaps once a month - if I was lucky), and Church and thinking about God became less and less also. This would be the pattern throughout my 20s and early 30s.

In my 30s I met my wife and we got married, but I don't think I married her for all the right reasons... She was smart, sensible, kind - I was thinking I could do a lot worse than her and besides; we both want to start a family and the clock is ticking, so why not... I was also part of her life during some difficult times and she loved me deeply. I loved that she loved me and I loved her back, but probably not the same way. We had 2 beautiful children and they became our number 1 focus. I stopped playing sport and drinking, but I was quite deceptive in my marriage and continued to watch inappropriate content and touch (keeping this secret from my wife). I also had a few other more minor secrets that I kept from her. With 2 young kids always demanding attention, our patience and love for each other became less and our frustrations became more and more.

At 38 I started reading about various conspiracies on the Internet. I was a skeptic, but found it interesting nonetheless, so kept reading. Among this rabbit hole (which included all sorts of things) I came across 'unforgivable sin'. And looked into this more as I was always under the assumption that everything was forgivable.

This was deeply concerning to me - I tried to think have I done anything that fits this description - there were a couple that made me worried, but most of them were the result of over-analyse, There is 1 that still has me concerned:
One time (late teens / early 20s) my friends and I were drinking and walking past/through a church in a very small country town and as we walked past I got down on one knee and joked to my friends and said mockingly something like 'baptize me father' and one of my friends tipped some beer on my head. I didn't ask him to tip the beer on my head, but I don't blame my friend - it was my fault for putting myself in such a stupid terrible situation. I ask because baptism (as far as I know) is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and me disrespecting it like the way I did might somehow be a sin against the Holy Spirit. It was a spur of the moment, stupid, ignorant thing to do. There was alcohol involved (although can't remember how drunk I was) and I was also trying to get the attention of a girl that I liked (but who didn't have any feelings for me), but these aren't valid excuses IMO.

The worry has driven me to fear, anxiety and despair. Perhaps even the start of depression - I couldn't even eat for several days.

In a positive for my life (and I'm crying as I write this), the fear caused a huge change in my life - I felt like I had nowhere else to turn, so I turned back to God (I'd like to think God still loves me and has plans for me, and used this as way to get me back, but I don't know). My family and I started going to Church consistently. I did a short course on the Internet and started reading the Bible (new testament / Gospels). I prayed for God/Jesus to come into my life and forgive all my sins. I asked God to help me stop with the inappropriate content/masturbation, hate for others, lust, deception, selfishness, etc. Being genuine this time, I think my prayers were answered; I stopped inappropriate content/masturbation (and haven't done this again since), I stopped hating, etc. There's still some things that need work, but I've really turned things around. Previous attempts to cleanse myself of these things had failed dismally - perhaps I had some help this time.

I wanted to wait a while before opening up to my wife about all my deception and misdeeds as I felt this could result in the breakdown of our marriage. I think God had other ideas and wanted me to get this done a lot sooner (I say God because I felt there was something pushing me to do this, otherwise I would have been very happy to defer), so we had a few very difficult conversations. Our marriage was pushed to the absolute brink and we're now in a bit of a healing phase - I still can't say if it will all work out, but for now we're committed to saving our marriage and having a lot more love/patience/kindness/etc for each other, as well as our kids. We've even discussed and agreed to having a weekly Bible study.

I'm being reminded about a lot of sins from my past that I might have easily forgotten. Perhaps I'm being reminded about some of the things I've done as I read through the Bible, or perhaps it's the Holy Spirit is convicting me to repentance of ALL my sins. I don't know...

You might read through what I've written and think I've been a horrible/sinful/wretched person and you'd probably be correct, but I'm not evil - there's also a lot of good in me (which I haven't spoken about). I want to be a child of God and have a relationship with God. I want eternal salvation.

What I really need to know is; is the specific sin I listed unforgivable and would have me condemned as per the Bible. I was feeling good for a while, but it's really come back to bite me again - anxiety/despair/etc... although I haven't done anything like murder, rape, etc., or got involved in the occult or anything like that; I sometimes think I would rather those kinds of sin against my name (because at least they're forgivable)... For the sin I did - I don't know... I've prayed to God to let me know, but I don't know...

It's scary to me to even ask this question, but please let me know - am I being silly with my self-condemnation (if I think logically, I feel I probably am being silly, but just need reassurance). Please tell me if I am, as well as your reasoning! Otherwise tell me what I need to do...

Feeling scared :(

Last edited:

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that you are fixating on your sins and your past in an unhealthy way. You are sorry for what you did. You are seeking to do better. God is helping you to do better. Focus on that. Focus on Christ and on the now, friend.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm being reminded about a lot of sins from my past that I might have easily forgotten. Perhaps I'm being reminded about some of the things I've done as I read through the Bible, or perhaps it's the Holy Spirit is convicting me to repentance of ALL my sins. I don't know...
If you haven't rejected Jesus then died, you haven't committed the unpardonable sin. It sounds like you are still condemning yourself for sins that Jesus already forgave you for. I have a lot of experience with that too. I remember a preacher saying it's a sin doing that in that you are acting as your own judge which is not what Christians are supposed to do.

Reactions: ryan_abc
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You or anyone else can not commit the sin of blasphemy of The Holy Spirit, if you are speaking of the one in Matthew 12.

That sin could have only been committed by the nation of Israel, when Jesus was present with the nation offering them The Messianic kingdom. Israel rejected Jesus as the Messiah on the basis made by Israels leaders, that Jesus did His miracles by the power of demons and not The Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What I really need to know is; is the specific sin I listed unforgivable and would have me condemned as per the Bible. I was feeling good for a while, but it's really come back to bite me again - anxiety/despair/etc... although I haven't done anything like murder, rape, etc., or got involved in the occult or anything like that; I sometimes think I would rather those kinds of sin against my name (because at least they're forgivable)... For the sin I did - I don't know... I've prayed to God to let me know, but I don't know...

No it's just the devil trying to put you under condemnation. Do a study on the blood of Jesus and see what his precious blood does. God does not JUST forgive you! His precious blood ALSO does a work it blots out your sin and cleanses you from all unrighteousness. Speaking against or resisting the Holy Spirit has to do with rejecting what he leads one to do and while you went astray for a period of time you chose to embrace God's word on repentance and viewing Jesus as your Lord and you're wanting to serve him. He that comes to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37 Those who are defined as committing the unforgivable just won't come to him. It's not that God doesn't want them to but it's they who choose to fight God to the death on what he wants them to do. YOU....HAVE...NOT...DONE...THAT.....so I'd say let your heart rejoice!

(if I think logically, I feel I probably am being silly, but just need reassurance).

Force your mind to always envision that God doesn't look at you or me or any of us through the flesh. He chooses to see us in Christ Jesus and the precious blood of Jesus having washed us and cleansed us where we're justified....just as if we'd never sinned. The question is will you boldly come into agreement with that? Boldly? Wouldn't that be arrogant? Nope. What did he tell us....Come boldly....boldly....BOLDLY into the throne of Grace to receive grace and mercy to help in time of need. Heb 4 :16

Keep in mind it's not boldly against God...no! It's he that told us to come boldly! The precious blood of Jesus gives us access to God's grace and he wants you to embrace that with all tenacity! God is not your problem. Guess who it is that wants us to feel so very timid and almost feeling condemnation questioning as to whether God will accept us....THE DEVIL. As you rise up with the knowledge of Jesus blood and thankfully, and boldly declare it your doubts and fear will eventually melt away like a snowball on a hot July day.

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony....
Rev 12: 11

So now if you'll boldly do what God instructed you to do in my words above....(and noticed I used the scripture so it is what God said) somebody else is scared now and it shouldn't be you....it should now be the devil. He said resist the devil (with the knowledge of God's word) and he'll do what? He'll FLEE FROM YOU! James 4:7 He knows that he can't play that guilt game on you anymore! :oldthumbsup:

• Friendly
Reactions: ryan_abc
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Without a strong faith,
Our Apostle Paul says we need > "faith working through love" (in Galatians 5:6).

everything was about ME!
Faith is not only for getting things for yourself. But "faith working through love" is for loving and blessing any and all people, including in all-loving prayer > 1 Timothy 2:1-4.

I loved that she loved me and I loved her back, but probably not the same way.
All right, so you know this is a concern. With Jesus, we can find out how to love a companion . . . while loving others as ourselves.

With 2 young kids always demanding attention, our patience and love for each other became less and our frustrations became more and more.
In God's love we have "longsuffering" > for a reason :) Ephesians 4:2 says we need to relate in love "with longsuffering". But human-character love is not strong for the things of close relating. But Jesus can keep us sweet and kind and creative and joyful, "and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

This comes with trusting Jesus.

I ask because baptism (as far as I know) is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and me disrespecting it like the way I did might somehow be a sin against the Holy Spirit.
So you were able to think of this, and make this connection. First, you got drunk so you could do that; then, if I am correct, you got sober so you could think clearly of this. So, who do you suppose might have set you up for this? - - to do what you did not know you were doing, then get you sober so you could think you did what you were not trying to do?

Not God, I would say.

So, right now, in any case, you are accountable for what you do. I would urge you to simply trust God to be our Good Judge who knows exactly what to do with each of us . . . right now. Our attention needs to be to You, O LORD our Father.

(I'd like to think God still loves me and has plans for me, and used this as way to get me back, but I don't know).
Trust Jesus and start fresh now. And if you mess up, consider how Jesus had already prayed for Peter, even before Peter denied Jesus three times > you might feed on this . . . with your attention > Luke 22:31-34.

And you be the one who is busy with forgiving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
am I being silly with my self-condemnation (if I think logically, I feel I probably am being silly, but just need reassurance). Please tell me if I am, as well as your reasoning! Otherwise tell me what I need to do...

A silly question for you.
How do you know a supporter of any sports team? Answer because they attend the matches/watch on TV and talk about their team .

How do you know someone is a Christian? Answer because they attend church, live the life and talk about Jesus.

Christianity is more than having sins forgiven and feeling good.

Please check out the churches in your area and start attending one every week as a family, you, your wife and any children.

You ask about past sins. You have no need to list them all, just as 1 john1:9 says ask God for forgiveness, then when guilt strikes you just praise God for his forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I posted my first message on these forums where I asked the question of this thread deep down in the comments, but it kinda got lost among all the other comments, so I thought I'd create a new thread. Apologies for the length of this message, but I think there's some context needed.

I was baptized as a infant and grew up in the Christian faith - going to Church & Sunday school and going to Christian schools. I also was confirmed. I believed in a creator God from a quite young age as I reasoned in my head about how everything came into being. Theories like the 'big bang' just didn't make sense (and still don't) to me. I had a genuine fear of going to Hell and would often think about 'what-if' scenarios in my head as a young boy while going to sleep. I believed in God and acknowledged Jesus, but I was never really connected or filled with the Spirit. I'd never read the Bible. I prayed to God for various things, but most of the time it was for worldly things.

Without a strong faith, I went off the tracks in my mid teens as the world opened up with all of these new opportunities and things to do e.g. partying with friends, drinking alcohol, occasional recreational drugs (although I was never an addict), driving a car (which gave me the freedom to do what I want), sport and the boorish culture that this often promotes, swearing, masturbating, occasionally breaking the law for minor things when I was out with the guys e.g. vandalism, indecency, theft, etc. Note: the breaking the law part was rare and for fairly minor things - I wouldn't say it would be a good representation of my life, but the other things mentioned definitely would be. During this time Christianity became less and less important - everything was about ME! I started to pray less and less, think about God less and less, I would still occasionally go to Church, but if anything that was to keep my mum happy (as I've always had a very strong family relationship).

Moving out of my teens and into my 20s, I went to university and started work, continued playing sport and drinking heavily, always trying to 'pick up' girls (unsuccessfully most of the time), renting houses with roommates - watching TV and throwing around all sorts of vulgarities. I was watching inappropriate content and masturbating multiple times per week. I started reading all sorts of rubbish on the Internet and became hateful, resentful and racist (although most of the time I kept these feelings to myself). During this time praying became less and less (e.g. perhaps once a month - if I was lucky), and Church and thinking about God became less and less also. This would be the pattern throughout my 20s and early 30s.

In my 30s I met my wife and we got married, but I don't think I married her for all the right reasons... She was smart, sensible, kind - I was thinking I could do a lot worse than her and besides; we both want to start a family and the clock is ticking, so why not... I was also part of her life during some difficult times and she loved me deeply. I loved that she loved me and I loved her back, but probably not the same way. We had 2 beautiful children and they became our number 1 focus. I stopped playing sport and drinking, but I was quite deceptive in my marriage and continued to watch inappropriate content and touch (keeping this secret from my wife). I also had a few other more minor secrets that I kept from her. With 2 young kids always demanding attention, our patience and love for each other became less and our frustrations became more and more.

At 38 I started reading about various conspiracies on the Internet. I was a skeptic, but found it interesting nonetheless, so kept reading. Among this rabbit hole (which included all sorts of things) I came across 'unforgivable sin'. And looked into this more as I was always under the assumption that everything was forgivable.

This was deeply concerning to me - I tried to think have I done anything that fits this description - there were a couple that made me worried, but most of them were the result of over-analyse, There is 1 that still has me concerned:
One time (late teens / early 20s) my friends and I were drinking and walking past/through a church in a very small country town and as we walked past I got down on one knee and joked to my friends and said mockingly something like 'baptize me father' and one of my friends tipped some beer on my head. I didn't ask him to tip the beer on my head, but I don't blame my friend - it was my fault for putting myself in such a stupid terrible situation. I ask because baptism (as far as I know) is in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and me disrespecting it like the way I did might somehow be a sin against the Holy Spirit. It was a spur of the moment, stupid, ignorant thing to do. There was alcohol involved (although can't remember how drunk I was) and I was also trying to get the attention of a girl that I liked (but who didn't have any feelings for me), but these aren't valid excuses IMO.

The worry has driven me to fear, anxiety and despair. Perhaps even the start of depression - I couldn't even eat for several days.

In a positive for my life (and I'm crying as I write this), the fear caused a huge change in my life - I felt like I had nowhere else to turn, so I turned back to God (I'd like to think God still loves me and has plans for me, and used this as way to get me back, but I don't know). My family and I started going to Church consistently. I did a short course on the Internet and started reading the Bible (new testament / Gospels). I prayed for God/Jesus to come into my life and forgive all my sins. I asked God to help me stop with the inappropriate content/masturbation, hate for others, lust, deception, selfishness, etc. Being genuine this time, I think my prayers were answered; I stopped inappropriate content/masturbation (and haven't done this again since), I stopped hating, etc. There's still some things that need work, but I've really turned things around. Previous attempts to cleanse myself of these things had failed dismally - perhaps I had some help this time.

I wanted to wait a while before opening up to my wife about all my deception and misdeeds as I felt this could result in the breakdown of our marriage. I think God had other ideas and wanted me to get this done a lot sooner (I say God because I felt there was something pushing me to do this, otherwise I would have been very happy to defer), so we had a few very difficult conversations. Our marriage was pushed to the absolute brink and we're now in a bit of a healing phase - I still can't say if it will all work out, but for now we're committed to saving our marriage and having a lot more love/patience/kindness/etc for each other, as well as our kids. We've even discussed and agreed to having a weekly Bible study.

You might read through what I've written and think I've been a horrible/sinful/wretched person and you'd probably be correct, but I'm not evil - there's also a lot of good in me (which I haven't spoken about). I want to be a child of God and have a relationship with God. I want eternal salvation.

It's scary to me to even ask this question, but please let me know - am I being silly with my self-condemnation (if I think logically, I feel I probably am being silly, but just need reassurance). Please tell me if I am, as well as your reasoning! Otherwise tell me what I need to do...

Hello sir, the Word of God says, (and it is true because He cannot lie), 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

At one point in my life, having repented of my sins, and having turned from a sinful lifestyle to lead a righteous life, the enemy of our souls was constantly accusing me. I went through a period of condemnation. It was difficult and I blamed myself. But I believe the Word of God and this is what it says

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

I stood upon this verse and confessed it and prayed it. I focused on the word of God rather than on the lies of the devil. That helped me immensely. From there I was able to continue to grow in Christ.

I am so happy to hear that your marriage is healing. I suggest making restitution to your wife. That means making steps to restore the harm done to your relationship. Love her, cherish her. Love and cherish your children. Pray that God will restore all that has been broken in your marriage and family. And please.... Stop condemning yourself. You are a new creature in Christ and you are forgiven. Some people have a beautiful life following Christ for 20, 30 years and then they suddenly turn and become a complete reprobate, living a life of sin. Some people have testimonies like yours, they once were lost, but now are saved. Remember the joy of the father over the return of the prodigal son. There is an abundance of that same joy in heaven over your return to Christ. That is how the heart of God is towards you for returning to Him, joyful. Your anxiety is from the devil. You are forgiven. Ask God to help you forgive yourself, sometimes that is one of thr hardest things to do! And pray for the salvation of your former friends.

Upvote 0