Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OKLAHOMA CITY - Federal officials say that a 23-year-old Oklahoma man has been arrested after allegedly planning to blow up a bomb in downtown Oklahoma City.

According to a criminal complaint, the FBI arrested 23-year-old Jerry Drake Varnell at 1 a.m. on Aug. 12 after he allegedly attempted to detonate what he believed to be an explosives-laden van he had parked in an alley next to BancFirst in downtown Oklahoma City.
Thank you for sharing the news article.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad they caught him, but at the same time I'm kind of iffy with the whole "let's help them pretend build a bomb so we can get bigger charges" bit. They do this a lot with Islamists as well and it always struck me as kind of... wrong?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I'm glad they caught him, but at the same time I'm kind of iffy with the whole "let's help them pretend build a bomb so we can get bigger charges" bit. They do this a lot with Islamists as well and it always struck me as kind of... wrong?

It's a tough line with entrapment, but many things along the way are just not illegal. It's generally not illegal to want to build a bomb, or ask people how to build a bomb, or to have a bomb making manual, or to buy bomb making ingredients.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's a tough line with entrapment, but many things along the way are just not illegal. It's generally not illegal to want to build a bomb, or ask people how to build a bomb, or to have a bomb making manual, or to buy bomb making ingredients.

The Timothy McVeigh's of our world do not operate in a vacuum. And preventive actions like this not only save lives, it gives the man a chance for rehabilitation. At the most he will get a 20 year prison sentence for this. Plus no lives lost. A win all the way around.

Personally I do believe that this is due to a mental illness, but since we have no way of treating such illnesses now prison is the only viable way of dealing with such problems today.

Upvote 0

Jenny_8675309

We tried to warn you...
Aug 13, 2017
Hampton
✟22,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OKLAHOMA CITY - Federal officials say that a 23-year-old Oklahoma man has been arrested after allegedly planning to blow up a bomb in downtown Oklahoma City.

According to a criminal complaint, the FBI arrested 23-year-old Jerry Drake Varnell at 1 a.m. on Aug. 12 after he allegedly attempted to detonate what he believed to be an explosives-laden van he had parked in an alley next to BancFirst in downtown Oklahoma City.
INB4 "but the Leftists did something bad once too, and anyway it was probably self defense!"

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Is he white?

You tell me.

varnell-drake.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums